Mr Blandings Build His Dream House

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Otoolefan, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Seasons Greetings!

Just got a copy of the 1948 Cary Grant/ Myrna Loy movie "Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House" as an early Christmas present from my girlfriend. This movie was first brought to my attention here on this forum because of all the pipe smoking contained in it, as well as it being a good, funny, classic old film. I can't wait to watch it with my girlfriend, who loves old movies as much as I do.

And you can be sure I'll be firing up one of my pipes as we sit back and watch.

Just wanted to wish all of you a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays as well as thank those on this forum who first brought this movie to my attention. Truly a great brotherhood on here.

Don

Thuber88, Scottly, IrishRover and 3 others like this.
  2. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Thats on my list to get,just wish the wife would read the list.

jpberg likes this.
  3. Morse

Morse Active Member

It's a great one - enjoy it

4. CACooper

CACooper Member

Greetings,

Mr. Blandings is my all time favorite film (see avatar). I love everything about it. The era, the story, the style, the stars, and of course, the PIPES!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love this film so much, I made a replica set of the pipes seen in the film. I used screen shots, stills and multiple viewings to get as close as I could to faithfully replicating them. The top pipe is the "Bill Cole". The bottom is the "Jim Blandings".
    [​IMG]
    Disclaimer - I'm not selling or promoting any products in this post. I don't want to run afoul of the administrators by advertising. I'm merely discussing a classic film and my interest in it. I repeat, I'm not advertising anything.
    CACooper

5. Morse

Morse Active Member

I was THIS close to picking up a set on eBay about this time last year. It went for a steal - I'm still kicking myself

6. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

That's so cool!

7. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

I plan to! Thanks. Probably be watching it this weekend. My girlfriend said she saw this movie a long time ago and loved it.

Thuber88 likes this.
  8. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I just watched it. Lots of pipe smoking in the film. Even a tin of something...couldnt quite make out what it was...probably M79...

Thuber88 likes this.
  9. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Did you like the film?

10. CACooper

CACooper Member

Here's some stills of the scene:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've watched this scene frame by frame and still can't identify the tobacco. Anyone have any idea?
    I'm constantly researching the film and always discover something new. But info on exactly what brand of tobacco and pipes they smoked is non-existent. But I'll keep searching!
    CACooper

Thuber88 likes this.
  11. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Its good. Its one that I would keep in my rotation. The book that it was based on was also used as the basis of The Money Pit, with Tom Hanks...one of the funniest movies ever...

Thuber88 likes this.
  12. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Its a charming film...but then, I am a sucker for Cary Grant...Myrna Loy too...

13. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Me too. Love that I found a Cay Grant movie I haven't seen that also features a lot of pipes and pipe smoking.

Thuber88 likes this.
  14. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

One of my favorites is Walk Dont Run. No pipe smoking, but its a nice little movie...his last. Charade is great too...but then, Im a sucker for Audurey Hepburn...

JimInks likes this.
  15. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

My favorite Cary Grant movie is Hitchcock's NOTORIOUS, with the great Ingrid Bergman.

16. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Time to add this movie to the wish/watch list...

17. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

Great movie! I was gifted a copy from a new friend (and talented pipe maker). Watched it with Mrs. Mikey J and we both got a kick out of it. Full of quotable one-liners, and there's pipe smoking in almost every scene of the movie...well, almost. It's definitely the kind of movie I can watch again and again.

18. jeff394

jeff394 Member

That movie has been on my list for a while now, maybe I'll check it out on vacation next week.

19. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

+1

20. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

So Ive watched this film several times now. Its pretty great. I find Ive been putting it on in the background a lot. Whole lotta pipin...whoever wrote it, or directed it, or put all that pipin in should be awarded a medal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.