Music for Pipes?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Sawbones, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

What type, kind, or genre of music makes you want to go and load and light your pipe???

For me, when I hear a good well played lone fiddle, I tend to start looking for my riggin to light up...

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

All the music I enjoy makes me want to light my pipe and everytime I light my pipe, I want to turn the stereo on. That would be jazz, blues, rock and "extreme" music.

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

The music is incidental to pipe smoking. Genre has no influence, and when I'm in the mood for a pipe then I'll listen to whatever hapopens to be on at the time. Under no circumstance would that be Industrial, Thrash, White Pride (yes - there is a music industry that caters to these little Security Threat Group/skin-headed peices of vermin) HipHop, Gangsta, or anything by Lady Gag Me - I do not care for these forms of musical expression and I do not listen to them. (But to be fair to Lady Gag Me, I would tuck a buck down her G-String if she was working as a stripper).

Mark w4mms likes this.
  4. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

Lady Gag Me ! I haven't heard that one befroe, that is good... :xd:
    I here what you are saying RTO, but sometimes a song or a tune will come on somewhere and I will get the urge to light up...

5. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

I've been listening to Industrial on and off for the past 2-3 days....Helps me get stuff done, and I kind of zone out while listening to it. I think came from when I started listening to Industrial while going through over 1000 photos to edit/throw out before the weekend was up.

6. dmkerr

You need the 24 Hours of Throbbing Gristle box set and its companion, TG+ which is just 10 CD's. That's 34 CD's of Throbbing Gristle concerts. That would take care of a day and a half. :ohyh:

Together they'd set you back a cool grand, though. That's a lot of pipes and tobacco!

7. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Never heard of them, I'll have to check them out.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Jazz, Classical, Baroque, Rock, Bluegrass, Blues, Rap, Country, Trip Hop, "World" Music (what a cop-out name for a non-genre), Reggae, Opera, you name it. If it sounds good to me, I'll listen to it. There are very few genres of music which I flatly dislike, though the vast majority of artists in most genres I do dislike (especially country, rap, and at least modern incarnations of reggae music).

One exception to the "I like most genres..." rule is zydeco music. Zydeco would be perfectly reasonable grounds for a hostile invasion and extermination by space aliens.

I'll listen to anything I enjoy when I'm smoking, but very rarely does music generate and urge to smoke. I usually am keen on lighting up regardless.

9. user1975

user1975 Active Member

You'd better be careful, you might find something down there you'd just a soon you hadn't!:xd::beck:

10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Could be. She strikes me as one of those gals were warned about in the training films we had to watch in boot camp.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  11. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

More like "Watch out for the fruit basket!"

HCraven and Mark w4mms like this.
  12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Heck!, I'm really getting old!.....what the f#*k is 'industrial'? - and who sings/plays it?. I'm still not sure what 'garage' comprises!, and what kids call R&B now - is certainly not like the R&B I used to play. To get back on topic - my pipe is simmering most of the day, and I don't recall it ever being inspired by some music I've heard......a drink - yes!! :byg:
    OT

13. dmkerr

Industrial is a product of the 1980's for the most part. Notable bands are Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly, Laibach, Psychic TV. If you, like me, tend to get hung up on sub-genres, don't go any further than 1980. You might find yourself trying to figure out the differences between math metal, grindcore and avant-thrash hardcore stoner doom. :xd:

P.S. Having twin 16 year old boys helps!

ArtisanArcher and 1stGenRex like this.
  14. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

15. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Good gravy... solid question. Most classical music, but I'm fond of Beethoven. I like jazz but rarely listen to it. As far as newer stuff, artists like David Ford, David Grey, Mumford and Sons are all wonderful pipe music. I also like heavy metal stuff, like full symphony Gothic metal, but that's not really pipe music. But this is why I started smoking a pipe.

16. Charles

Charles Member

I think any and all music is fantastic for kicking back with a pipe. But I think my favorite artist to sit back with a pipe and listen to is without a doubt Tom Waits. Try it! :)

17. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Every time I fire up my favorite latakia bomb Pirate Kake, I think I should be listening to "Ride of The Valkyries" by Wagner.

Ol Brokedik.

18. Charles

Charles Member

You should checkout a band called Alestorm...Pirate Metal!

19. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

World Music is a name given to music from other countries that Westerners appreciate, but are too lazy to fully understand. Personally, I've developed a fondness for Cuban music over the years and have learned to appreciate most of the styles, from Danzon and Guaguanco to Songo and Timba.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.