1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Musings about my new Falcons

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Sasqets, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasqets

Sasqets Member

I posted a little over a week ago about a couple Falcons that I picked up on Ebay. Since their arrival, they have been my main pipes and I have learned much. I know that the things I learned are discussed alot here, but sometimes things don't really "click" untill you do them for yourself.
    First off, the pipes I got were unsmoked ones from the 60s. I had heard that bowls from this era were heavily waxed and could taste pretty bad for a few smokes. THAT was an understatement! One cleared up after about 2 smokes. The other bowl was still rank after 5 smokes, but it finally cleared up.
    I have absolutely fallen in love with my Falcons. So much, in fact, that I have bought 5 more bowls from the same person that sold me the first two pipes. A rustic Genoa, 2 smooth bulldogs, and 2 rusticated bulldogs. All of them vintage 1960s manufacture. I have the feeling that I will be mostly smoking these and leaving all my briars go except for my Radice and Karl erik.
    Or does that sound too radical?
    I also have that certain tobacco smokes very different in different pipes. I know, everyone here already knew that, but I had never noticed that before now. My rustic algiers bowl smokes FMOTT beautifully, while the billiard makes it taste dull. And the billiard smokes much better with Peterson Irish Flake and strong Latakias. Doesn't make sense to me, but its true.

Sorry for rambling, but I have alot going thru my mind about Falcons, and I think out loud sometimes. :whistle:

2. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

It does not sound radical at all to leave your other pipes behind, to me the main key to pipe smokeing is smoke what you like, smoke what makes you happy and never let anyone tell you other wise. If these new Falcons are your favorite and they are a totall enjoyment for you then that is what you should do. Well happy hunting on the 60's pipes hope all goes well with them!!!!

3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I would recommend holding on to your briars for awhile. You tastes change every now and then. I will do my Falcons for awhile, then move on to briar only then do cobs, etc. But they are good pipes and glad you are enjoying them.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm with Strongirish on this one - different times of the year, different seasons different moods even can make you fancy a certain type of pipe or a certain type of tobacco.

Falcons have certainly been the mainstay of my smoking experience for most of my life and will always remain my first choice for a day out on the hills or the pipe I can just stuff in the side pocket of my saddlebag when I'm out for a good bike ride, or even when I go to the pub, just in case I drop my pipe on the way home - but the other types stilll have a valued place in my rotation too.

For a day outdoors my preference is still for a fairly robust flake and I've always found a Falcon seems to tone down such a tobacco and knock the rough edges of of it - but not everyone feels the same. Wainwright the famous British fell walker, author and outdoor programmes presenter always smoked a Falcon with 3 Nuns, even on top of the Lakeland peaks and got aslong with it just fine. I never could.

Yes, I've always felt that the bowl shapes affect the tobacco taste - in my own opinion Dover, Algiers and Plymouth plus the dear old Apple will handle anything and handle it well. The shapes with the thinner walls are slightly more "fussy" about tobaccos.

Glad you're enjoying them and as usual - many happy years with them

Gerry

5. Gig

Gig Member

Falcons are a great outdoor pipe as well as indoor. Almost indestructable and I have never had a bad smoke from any of my eight Falcons :thumbsu:

6. rusty

rusty Member

Having found how easy to smoke and clean Falcons are, Im a big fan, but I still enjoy my other pipes as a change now and then. But if I plan on taking a pipe anywhere with me it will be a Falcon or my old Alco. It is a personal preference, and I know the look of them isnt to everyones taste, but I love the look. Dont get me wrong, there are a lot of really great looking pipes out there, and I can appreciate how nice they are, but give me a Falcon anyday, Practical uncomplicated and great to smoke.
    I would keep your other pipes, dont replace but add to your choices.

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Rusty has summed it up!

Gerry

8. phinz

phinz Active Member

I can honestly say that I'm missing my Istanbul bowl that I restored. I gave my pipe away at Hukilau this year to a fellow pipe smoker from Munich who was in town for the convention and had never smoked a Falcon. It was my first Falcon and my primary knockaround pipe, but I'm glad it went to someone who was fascinated by it and will give it a good home. I have about 10 more I need to restore, but in the meantime I'm smoking my other Falcon that I've restored, which has a Dublin smooth bowl. It's a different smoke, but it still is my go-to pipe.

9. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

After reading these post all I feel like doing is buying a Falcon Pipe so I can see what everyone is talking about. I also agree with the others, keep your other pipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.