1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My 15 new estates

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Gondar, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gondar

Gondar Member

They got here today and here they are.
    Some are good, some are not good. All need a thorough cleaning on the inside and most I am going to drill out the cake from. Simply because it discust me and in some cases so I can fit more than a tiny pinch of toby. I am happy with the deal and would have been dissapointed if there were nothing left to do for me.
    Thanks StrongIrish. :thankyou:

[​IMG]

2. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Lot's of good ones there! Very nice score :thumbsu:

3. Hothog

Hothog Member

They look like you gonna have some fun. I like old used pipes. They have more character.

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Very cool, Gondar! Have fun
    refurbing them! Hope they
    give you many years of good
    smokes.

dp

5. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I never ream out much cake from estate pipes as I hate it when I get one reamed to the wood. Everyone likes their cake a certain thickness so I leave it to the buyer to ream it to their liking. Sorry you found it discusting but most are happy I do this. I also did post that most will need to be cleaned. I restored them and then smoked most of them. These were out of my personal collection. I do hope you enjoy them and for the price paid you find them a bargain.

6. Gondar

Gondar Member

Like I said, I am happy with the deal.
    It is a whole lot quicker to remove the cake than it is to put it there if they want it. I am not discusted to find the cake but cake in general discust me. That is why I bought them, to try new pipemodels and shapes at a very good price.
    I'll replace some stems and generally do the changes with them that I want to. And I will enjoy it too.

7. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Nice looking batch of smokers. I have bought a couple pipe lots of ebay that make those look NIB by comparison. Might have to check the list of pipes left for sale.

8. Gondar

Gondar Member

Do that Ruralhipster.
    All I can say it was a swift and easy deal without any hickups. I can already see a few that will see lots of use. I did not mean to sound discontent at all, because I am not. Buying pipes unseen will of course always mean surprises, and hence the halfprice option.

9. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Looks like you got a great deal, Gondar! Not only that but you've discovered that Mr Strongirish is absolutely first class to deal with! I hope you let us see these after they get their "beauty treatment".

10. Jay

Jay Active Member

I spy a few that I had my eye on, oh well I did get a few from SI and am happy with them! Happy smoking. And refurbing!

J

11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Nice haul Gondar! :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

12. Gondar

Gondar Member

Thank you guys. I will keep you updated. I just do not know where to start.
    :thankyou:

13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Torsten when you wrote -"I just do not know where to start" the thought occurred to me that that's a nice place to be with a haul like that.

Enjoy the refurbishment and hope you have very many happy years with the new family!

Best to all

Gerry

14. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I would start with the cake that bothers you, ream it to where you like it and then run alcohol, grain, through it to sanitize it, then just polish the bowl and stem out. All of them are smokable. Do one at a time until you work your way through them. Some of those are really sweet smokers you got.

15. Gondar

Gondar Member

I think you are right Gerry. I am happy just looking at them, reading a little here and there, weighing them in my hand and then putting them back in the box kind of overwhelmed. And I will probably follow your advice as well Strongirish kind of doing one at the time, letting this take as long as it will. :punk:

16. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Nice haul. I got 6 from StrongIrish's sale. I cleaned all of them up and have been smoking all but one all week. A friend saw one I he could leave my house without. The sale was great. Good prices and Irish shipped em' fast.

Enjoy them, I am enjoying mine.

Z

17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You dont really like that bulldog @ 11 O clock do you ....... lol ........ nice score man !!

18. Gondar

Gondar Member

:)This one?
    [​IMG]

Markings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feels good in the hand
    [​IMG]

This is the ugly side.
    [​IMG]

I know nothing about my new pipes really. I just went with intuition mostly.

I would enjoy knowing more about them so if you know wher I could read up on
    this I'd appreciate it. All I found is in what I can find in Pipedias maker section.

19. Major

Major Member

That free hand at 1 O'Clock strikes my fancy....... I think its a grabow yes? How does it look ?

20. Gondar

Gondar Member

Do you mean this one? It says Andersen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Markings
    [​IMG]

Maybe it is supposed to say "ISRAEL"
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.