1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

My beater pipe.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by West4955, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. West4955

West4955 Member

This is an old Dr. Plumb pipe I picked up from a friend, it origionaly had a red varnish and terrible rustication. Ive reshaped it a bit, did my own rustication, and turned it into a damned good smoker.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In this picture you can see the stainless steal tube I fitted in the shank to bring the hole from the upper side of the bowl down to the center. It smokes so much better and all the tobacco gets used.
    [​IMG]
    Here's me in the weld shop smoking some Mac Baren Navy Flake.
    [​IMG]

Lithua pipe, jdto, Raffxr7 and 3 others like this.
  2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Nice work. Way to make it yours.

Lithua pipe likes this.
  3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

It's those trusty and battle-proven pipes that are the best. Looks like you have yourself such an old war horse.

4. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Nice job! My first pipe had to be de-rustified to look right. I hope it looks half as good as yours when done. Could you give more details on the stainless steel tube? It has me wondering if I can do something like that to a poorly drilled basket pipe I have.

5. West4955

West4955 Member

So the stainless steel tube what's just a small piece I found laying around in the shop. I drilled out the shank so the hole was just small enough for a tight fit when I pressed the tube in. The origional hole was about 3/8" up the side of the bowl which would leave the bottom soggy and always unsmoked. I used stainless because it won't corrode or leach off into the pipe. This single modification has turned this pipe into my best smoker. Definately something I will continue to add to my other bryer pipes.

6. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

On a few that couldnt be corrected on draft hole height, I have created a channel to allow air to be pulled from lower... it has helped some, but not as much as what I imagine your modification did.

7. West4955

West4955 Member

I can tell you this, I won't be getting rid of this pipe ever. It's not the best looking, definately not the most expensive being free, but it sure does smoke well, dry and cool and that makes it a keeper. This pie practically lives in my pocket. If you try this modification post a picture and let me know if yours smoke better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.