1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My best ebay purchase yet

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by eddy13, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddy13

eddy13 Member

I just picked up a Dr. Grabow Starfire off of ebay for $1.18 plus shipping. It came complete with mold and a beat up stem with a hole in it. Did two salt treatments, 20+ pipe cleaners, sanded the inside of the bowl to reduce the cake and added a bit of electrical tape and a soft bit to cover the hole.
    Loaded it with some PA and didn't expect much. I ended up having the best smoke since I began about two months ago!!
    A great little pipe.

Any advice on how or where I can get the stem repaired or replaced is welcomed.
    If anyone has an extra stem that would work, I'd be willing to buy it also...

It is a straight, threaded with a stinger, which is out.

Thanks..

2. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

No help for the stem but good score on the pipe man.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I personally think that both Doc Grabows and Kaywoodies are two of the great bargains to be had in the pipe world - along of course with MM cobs - never had a bad smoker with any of these.

The only repairer that I know that does stems cheaply is Brakenar Briars in England which probably isn't much use to you and being honest may not be able to deal with the stinger type you mention.

Could be worth contacting either WalkerBriarworks or Bob Clark in Rhode Island - Bob is a member of this forum and does good work,

Best to all

Gerry

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Man you did awesome!! I was bidding on a Starfire on the bay. I had $9.00 on it and lost it? I will say it was in awesome shape, with the old style stem. I think they are a great looking pipe! Congrats to you! Beale.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Well done Ted - damn Typo Fairy struck again!!!

Best to all,

Gerry

7. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Congrats on your drg pipe,i doubt you will find a replacement stem being an older grabow,but you can fix it.place some cardboard or waxpaper inside stem mix sm amount of jb weld or equiv to repair hole color with black sharpie.

8. eddy13

eddy13 Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I can salvage this somehow..

9. slprl1

slprl1 Member

Nice buy. Grabow is a great bargain and still smoke nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.