1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My cheap new meer

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by kreinhard, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

$35 or so from a web store I'd never heard of. I read the threads here and was a little trepidatious about not buying an Altinok or other highly-regarded brand. On the other hand, my wife has spent almost $100 in paint samples from Lowe's and Sherwin-Williams. That's all the justification I needed, so I ordered two different styles (both in the standard size). I know they have the old-style flimsy plastic tenon, but for the price...solid meerschaum block, lucite (I think they are, anyway) stems, form-fitted boxes and, best of all, the vendor is in southern Michigan about two and a half hours from me.

The first one out of the box was the straight (apple?):

Outside the case:

[​IMG]

Inside the case:

[​IMG]

I had to do some highlight recovery and other manipulations, but here's the side view:

[​IMG]

A view from the top

[​IMG]

I think the hole is drilled in the right place, even if it's a bit ragged around the edges:

[​IMG]

I ran a single coin of Escudo through it, which amounted to about 1/3-1/2 of a bowl. The pipe smoked flawlessly, never gurgling and I didn't have to relight. I did have to tamp a couple of times, but the tobacco smoked all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I like the acrylic stems, they're not as soft as, say, the stem on my Savinelli, which now has a couple of 'flea bites' near the button (I guess I'm a clencher).

So far, I have no complaints with the pipe at all. I'm looking forward to watching it color, which is the best part of smoking a meer, I think. If I break out the other one, I'll shoot some pics of that and post them up if anyone is interested. The thing that struck me the most is that the case and carving gave me the impression that maybe this guy is buying them from the same place SMS does. :dunno: Regardless, I'm going to keep on smokin' it...

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I think its cool....

Get the other one out, lets see it too.

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Nice buy, especially if it smokes well.

4. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I like it too, it's a gooden.... Let's see the other...

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Meerschaum....just don't smoke it repeatedly w/o drying it...I busted the tenon on one swampin' it up with nonstop sampling. But yeah, man....nice score! Enjoy! Meer is a great pipe smoking engine! (Also..love the 'lattice' designed 'egg' shape'...purdy!)

6. Burner

Burner Member

That looks a very nice smoking instrument. I like the swirlyness of the stem.

7. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

You got that for $35?? That's a gorgeous pipe. Let us know how she smokes. And like the other guys have stated, "Pull the other one!"

8. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Care to share where that came from? That's a great looking pipe!

9. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

That is a good looking meer, and a great looking price. Where did you get it, I may have to grab one of those.

Let's see the other pipe! :groucho:

10. smoore

smoore Member

Nice looking pipe, congrats. I too would like to now where you bought it for that price. How is the draw? Now, lets see the other one!

11. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

To answer a couple of questions: Yes, they were $35.50 plus shipping (break on additional pipes). I got them from AND Meerschaum Pipes. I emailed with Alex Dumond before ordering; I assume he's the owner. Like I said, ordered yesterday and had them today...but, I'm only a couple hours from him and Priority Mail is speedy. :groucho:

I pulled out the other pipe tonight after helping get our youngest two sons in bed. Ran about 1/3 bowl of Balkan Sasieni through it, paired up with a jigger (did you know a jigger is just a hair shy of 1/4 cup?) of Laphroaig Quarter Cask...mmmmmmm. Here's the other pipe:

Outside the case:

[​IMG]

Inside the case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top view:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hole is a little higher up the bore, but I think that it's still in pretty good shape for a bent. Dunno, though, as I only have my other bent meer to compare to. The bottom of the hole does hit the middle-bottom of the bore, though. Good? Bad? Draws well either way.

The Balkan Sasieni was pretty damn good. It wasn't as heavy as the tin aroma suggested, though. That wasn't disappointing, just different than what I expected. Had I known it was going to be so smooth, I probably would've gone for hot tea instead of the scotch. Or, maybe not. :whistle: The pipe draws well, no gurgling (my SMS scotsman gurgles like mad toward the end of a bowl, my Savinelli does not) and I only had to re-light once...but, I wasn't very focused on the tamping; it's only 35 here. Brrr!

12. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

Oh, for a better idea of the shape/carving...a couple of side shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flutes kind of gently twist around as they run up from the heel. Both of these pipes are smallish, maybe about 5-1/2" overall. They feel good in the hand, though. Light weight, but not too light, if that makes sense.

Oh, to answer another question I forgot about...yeah, I let them sit for at least a day after a smoke. Which is why I needed a couple more pipes. Although, if I had seven... :startle:

13. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I think a couple of hours rest between smokes is good enough...

Here's a meer coloring tip... smoke your meer for two weeks then set it aside for two weeks. I think it has something to do with how the meer "wicks" the tars and oils into its structure.

14. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try. Someone once told me to only hold it by the stem, or to wear a white glove when smoking it. I've never been that, uh, concerned about it. I figure if it absorbs oils from my hands, well, it's even more personalized then. Heh. To each their own, though.

15. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Agree, forget about the gloves. Here's a recent thread on the forum about coloring meers: http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4561-meerschaum-its-a-color-issue/

16. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Wow, those are some beautiful pipes indeed. :thumbsu:

17. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Really nice looking pipes and an excellent price - I'm 90% certain these are the same ones as I have which are sold under the Levante name here - every detail you've highlighted is the same. I can't get hard info on this but I do wonder if these are made either by trainees or by a co-operative on a small batch production basis.

Anyway - happy smoking!

Should you need any work done on them at a later stage at a very fair price can I recommend Dave Wolff at WalkerBriarworks - he opened out mine a little and fixed the connectors. The pipes benefitted greatly from Dave's work.

Best again

Gerry

18. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Ya done real good K! $35/meer is a steal considering what you got. The skinny "cheapo" tenon will work for a while and probably last well into coloring your new "white wonderz" but should they break, don't toss yer pipe! Just get a replacement tenon or have it done right and get the "nylon-teflon" mortise-tenon system put in. Bigger bore and stronger, will probably last beyond you. Meers are cool because it's a pipe that becomes even more and more "yours" each time you smoke them. More obvious than a cob or briar. Congratz! Great score and thanks for sharing!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

19. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Are those $12 minis block meerschaum also?

20. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Are those $12 minis block meerschaum also?

Edit: it appears so, wonder how they smoke?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.