1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

My cheap new meer

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by kreinhard, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

I wondered about the same thing. Maybe there's a factory that turns them out in bulk and wholesales them off without brands?

Thanks for the tip, Gerry. I just went and looked at his site re: meer work and opening up the draw. So far I think they draw pretty well, but I'm leery of that tiny plastic tenon. I think I'll just smoke them as-is until they break, if they do break, and then send them off.

Thanks, Ed. Is there any place other than Gerry's recommendation that does the tenon work? Not that I doubt Walker's work, but sometimes it's nice to have multiple vendors. I like the meers precisely because of the uniqueness of the coloration effect. I mean, these all seem to smoke well (the two ANDs and the one SMS...although I think the SMS is borderline "OK"), cool, and all that. So they're 'good pipes' as far as my novice pipe smoking experience goes. I do think a well carved and polished briar looks somehow more elegant, or classy, though.

I'm not associated with them in any way, other than buying a couple of pipes. But their FAQ says this:

Maybe it's worth an email to them just to verify.

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

No need-

I have bought two of them. They are block, and color accordingly. Unfortunately, they are small, which makes their tenons, uh, tenuous. I broke one while sample smoking like a re-re during the last box pass. Meer can swamp up pretty quick, being porous and all. The thinner the walls, the quicker you soften them. Word to the wise. Oh, still have my first one, dirty as hell (i.e...not the purdiest colouring ever), but smokes like a champ! Still use it to sample new/questionable toby...and the occasional Black Rope 'quick fix'.

-Kyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.