1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My cheapo

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by an1m4l, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

Hello all,

So, this is my pipe. Cost me 14€uros. Weighs 40 grams with the stem and 31 without. It has no markings on it and takes 9mm filters, although I usually roll a bit of a paper napkin and toss that in there (don't really like the filters and the no filter option just gives me too much airflow).

What bugs me: Does that look like briar to you guys? It's full of those little holes and it leaks fluid in that darkened spot where the bowl meets the shank (sorry if the terms are not correct).

Also, the inside of the bowl is black, but I only managed a bit of cake on the upper part, with the help of some honey (which left a sour aftertaste). Should that pose a problem?

Being my only pipe it gets a bit of abuse... But it got me some nice smokes so far.

Cheers and thanks for reading.

De pics:

Side view Frontal Aerial shot The leak

2. giannilibrizzi

giannilibrizzi Member

It doesn't look like briar to me, but I could be wrong! The important thing is that it works fine, and provides you with good smokes...then you can move up from there!

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Honestly , dosent look like briar .

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Those pores make me think it isn't briar.

5. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Not briar...the grain and structure are all wrong. Might be a fruit-wood...pear maybe? The close-up shows an open grain structure which makes me think of pear or apple wood....might even be maple (?).....
    Terms are correct, and if that dark spot is seeping, it's a serious flaw in the wood. Just my opinion, but I doubt it will ever stop. Can you send it back? I know it is a cheapo, but the pipe is not right. If you bought it from a decent shop or reputable e-tailor, they will replace it for you.....

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'd agree it doesn't look like briar - maple maybe? It'd take someone like Sas to give you a professional opinion.

I've a couple of maple pipes and they smoke just fine, so there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it not being briar....but

No it shouldn't leak whatever kind of wood it is - I'd agree take it back if at all possible - leaks sadly do tend to get worse. If you can't take it back - rubbing the wood over with beeswax might hold/ temprarily seal it til you can get a better one.

Best as always

Gerry

7. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

Thanks a lot for the input mates.

I think I'm going to take it to the shop and see what can be done.

:thumb:

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Let us know the outcome.......

9. pottsy

pottsy Member

Good luck. Hope for a decent outcome.

10. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

Hard to say from pictures, but it looks like walnut to me. It isn't briar, or even a burl of any kind. It doesn't look like any fruitwood I've ever seen.

11. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

With the open pores like that, it certainly isn't maple. My guess is either walnut like Grammaton says, or maybe a rosewood.

12. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

Just browsed walnut and rosewood pipe images for a while. That's got to be it. Thanks, now I know what I have. :puffy:

Tomorrow I'll try to go the tobacco shop to inquire about warranty and stuff. I'll keep posting the pipe's journey in here.

:wave:

13. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You actually found rosewood pipe images? I thought rosewood would be a serious no-no for a pipe. If it is rosewood, well, glad the flaw is in the wood, and not you! (Rosewood can cause serious allergic complications...if memory serves...)

As a total neophyte, I can still say it doesn't look like briar, so yeah, I would definitely look on unloading it, ASAP.

14. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

And a bunch of sites selling them... :dunno:

15. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

That's not entirely true. The wood itself doesn't cause problems, the dust from it does. If rosewood caused allergic problems, then guitar players all over the world would have big, swollen fingers.....

16. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Amazon has a bunch of rosewood pipes: here.

I'm not tempted, though some are nice-looking.

17. yinyang

Skin contact on a finished slab of wood is different (maybe...) than using said wood to combust tobacco. The smoldering weed could (maybe...) impart resins from the rosewood into your mouth and/or sinuses (lungs..). Anaphylaxis is my main concern; that said, I'm playing a Nervous Nellie here...I have no real proof or anything.

What is sad is I think this has been discussed here before, but I sure can't remember the consensus/informed outcome as it was posted.

18. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

Well, rosewood or not, it is now in the hands of the shop clerk awaiting negotiations with the pipe factory. I'm, therefore, pipeless, for the time being. :fpc:

19. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

I've been to the shop today. Apparently they are waiting from the factory still.

Realizing I will need a good pipe, I took a look at some of their nicer ones. They had 3 Big Ben's that caught my eye. But I'm not sure which to pick.

Big Ben Mercury 302 - The most pleasing to my eye, but the flue was not 100% round and, being a bent model, it takes two holes to make and, thus, is more prone to not being a perfect smoker, right?

Big Ben Caribic 228 - Almost on par with the M302 in aesthetics. Does that form qualify as a bent in regard to the construction process or does it have the same chances to being as fool proof as a straight?

Big Ben Napoleon (a straight one) - The least appealing but that one should be as fool proof as they come right?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

20. yinyang

If you're going to get one...get the one you want! You won't want to smoke a pipe you don't like. Now, that said, that straight one, besides being less 'problem' prone(potentially, anyways), is a military bit. You can abuse them a bit more...(pulling the stem mid smoke if need be). Hedging bets, I'd say it is the best choice. You might wanna snap up a few cobs too...a solitary pipe gets lonely...the poor dear. :yes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.