1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My cheapo

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by an1m4l, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

Thanks for the input. :thumb:

I would already be the proud owner of a handful of cobs by now, if it weren't for the fact that every tobacco shop clerk I inquire about them looks at me like I'm some loony and claim they have never heard of such things. :dunno:

I'm also going to pick up a pipe from a nice old lady who has a tobacco shop with some assorted pipes and promised me a 10% discount minimum. But I have yet to browse them up with time.

Should have the pair here tomorrow, with pics. :yes:

2. Eddie

Eddie Member

3. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

Will do. But while they are in transit I need some smoking apparatus. ;)

So, are all the votes on the Napoleon?

4. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

I like the 302. The 542 is a close second. Which one do you like best? I hate to smoke an ugly pipe.

5. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

I like them all... The 302 was my favorite but when I looked into the hole through the shaft I noticed it wasn't perfectly round. Also the bent system is said to be more prone to problems, so I'm a bit scared, being as it is my first "quality" pipe.

6. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

I like the 302 best as well. I'm not so sure how much difference the "roundness" of the hole would make, so hopefully someone more knowing that I can weigh in on that.

7. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Which hole are we talking about, the airway leading to the stem or the chamber where the tobacco goes? And exactly how out of round was it? Some pipes purposely have an oval bowl, they call them vest pipes. I'd avoid these though as they look like a pain in the ass to burn evenly.

Big Ben makes a fine pipe, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about it. Just pick the one you like.

8. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

The airway. The only possible problem I see is with cleaning thoroughly. But I will probably go with the military mount, foolproof straight to the point formula.

Oh well, I just can't wait to light "something" up. :Cry:

9. Kingjango22

Kingjango22 Member

Do not fret, Original Poster, I ahve a Medico pipe that is tempered plastic...and hotter than a barrel of fire! (Thank the pipe gods for gloves and COLD nights)

10. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

Today was also know as payday around here. :groucho:

So, I went to the old lady's shop to get me a pipe. After carefully examining all the selection, taking my time while discussing with her the finer points of life, economics and marriage in the 21st century, I went with this Luigi.

Had a great smoke on it. It's pre-carbonated, so I took no real precautions. Alas, it did get a bit hot mid smoke (my fault most likely) and I noticed these two blisters in the end.

So, what should be done to minimize this? Better technique? Building a cake thoroughly? Your thoughts, please.

Maybe I should have started this thread in the "Ask an oldie" section, hum? :whistle:

Merry day to all!

11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Those blisters look like fills. If so, it's a natural flaw in the wood. Technique, smoking style, or what have you won't affect it either way.

12. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

No worries then. That means it's just an aesthetical problem and all I need atm is a nice smoker. It cost me 35€, so I wasn't expecting a work of art anyway... A nice smoker it appears to be, although I can only put it against my rejected walnut/rosewood so far.

Next step is the Big Ben and a few cobs. And maybe a tin or two. :puffy:

13. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

And it finally got resolved. They didn't agree on anything warranty like related, because "they are cheap" and well no really logical explanation was given, but I wasn't in the mood to argue, so I brought the cheapo back.

Didn't buy one of those Big Bens from them either, of course. I have a couple of cobs inbound from the Internets and will be starting off with those and the Luigi with fillings. :puffy:

Still haven't decided if I'll keep smoking the walnut/rose/unidentified woody crap, but I splatered it with honey and puff and blowed some toby on it to force a cake.

Just waiting on my cobs atm.

Peace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.