1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My Cob is for Bob

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Major, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major

Major Member

Howdy Guys......... I rec'd a couple of Mis meerch Cob about two weeks ago. I take one with me to work every day and smoke two bowls through it everyday for break in.

I'm not enjoying this one bit. It still tastes like the first bowl.Pure corn cob flavor. But now the bowl is pretty toasted. The stem being cheap tastes like rubber as well. At noon I reach for my Savinelli and as I put it in my mouth B4 a light to it, the thing just tastes perfect? It's a University Savinelli but I don't wanna take it fishing with me though. Thats why got the cob. For outdoor recreational use.

Am I whining too soon here about the cob? (quit whining, let it break in longer)

Will it always taste this way therefore just give it to my bonehead neighbor Bob?

Will the stem always taste cheap ? If so where can I get a better one?

Did Dr. Evil's father really invent the question mark? :whistle: Sorry. got carried away with that one.

(not sure if I put this in the right forum or not....sorry if it's my bad)

2. jhe888

jhe888 Member

You can get a new stem from Walker Briar Works. He calls them the Forever Stem.

I can't help with why you are having trouble with a corn cob taste. I haven't noticed that much at all with cobs.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Check the bottom of the cob. How far in does the pine stem protrude into it? Sometimes they go clear across the bottom. Now, all new cobs tend to have that 'pine/corn' flavor as the 'protuberance' burns away(during the last 1/4 bowl, that is). If yours goes straight across, it may take longer to burn off. I personally never noticed it myself, BTW. I guess it's possible you're sensitive, or easily annoyed, by the taste, so in that case, you may be SOL.

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I have a couple of MM cobs and outfitted both with the Walker Briarworks Forever stems. I love them both. The Diplomat only took two bowls to kill the pine/toasted corn taste. It had a small amount of stem sticking into the bowl. My Country Gent however, had a larger hunk of pine stem sticking into the bowl and it took 2 bowls to reduce the pine taste and a couple of more to eliminate it.

BTW, if you are not smoking all the way to the bottom, you may not be burning out the pine stem and charring the bottom of your cob. This might prolong the corny/piney taste. Just a thought.

Don't give up on your cob yet. Try the Forever stem #1 and try a different tobacco that you know you can smoke to the bottom a couple of bowls #2.

Good luck and good smoking. :bing:

5. Major

Major Member

I think you guys hit it between the first post and this one.

1. The Forever stems will help tons. I'm sure. I just dred the taste of the stock stems. Does R-A-N-C-I-D describe it accurately enough?

2. The pipe stem does in fact protrude into the bottom of both my cobs. All the way to the opposite side of the bowl to be honest. No I haven't been smoking it down to that point. A habit born of advice for my Briar pipes. ( yes I save the remainder for topping my next bowl. Its wonderful.

So I've got 2 things to do to aleive the problems related to my Cob frustration. Bob himself can continue to pick through my garbage cans and other refuse, he aint getting my Cobs just yet.

Thanks Mucho, I'll keep you posted.

6. rphillips

rphillips Member

I havent had the taste problem after my first bowl, and actually I thought it kind of a nice back taste with my Sillems red on the last one I bought. But I like the taste of wood so... (Just realized how truely strange that is) maybe its how you maintain them, are you scrubbing that shank out alot after a smoke, mayble if you do your opening a little fresh wood up to the air and keeping that cob/wood flavor. As for stems, as said go for a forever stem. Made from Vulcanite and he can make them any way you want. Prices look like they are arround $20 - $25. Not bad for a good hand made stem I guess. I just buy the MM replacements for 25 cents each and replace every 10 smokes or so when I start getting that funky plastic taste, or bite through.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Don't give up on your cobs yet.

Smoke 'em all the way down like you were to have the last bit of toby on earth in yer cob! The wood taste will go away when the bottom side ot the shank that protrudes into your bowl is all that's left and it's like charcoal'd. That will end up forming the bottom of your cob's bowl. Along with burnt toby ash and burnt cob the bottom of the cob bowl is the only place you wanna cake up. Strip the sidewalls clean no or minimal cake (or however much you feel you want). Clean the stem and shank with a pipecleaner dipped in scotch/bourbon/liquor of your choice. Use grain for a stronger cleaner. Use the bristle brush pipe cleaners and a shank brush to clean the shank. I'd use the liquor'd pipe cleaner here too.

Most importantly.........let your cob rest a day without smoking. Two would be even better. Cobs can de smoked repeatedly in a day but let her dry.

Forever stems available in both vulcanite and acrylic are marvelous. Takes the cob experience from rustic and cheap feeling into a gentlemanly smoking experience. A real elegant cob experience. It those three words can be used together "elegant cob experience"............it's with a Forever Stem.......no less. Get one! That's all you need! Of course you can get more! Clenched, they're great!

Welcome Mr.Ben! Keep smokin' them cobs they will get better!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I eliminate the burnt wood taste right away. I just take the Dremmel to that stupid protrubrence at the bottom of the bowl. Blow and brush out the wood dust, and I'm ready to go! The yellow plastic stems are a PITA...not sure which models, but some of the MM cobs have a black stem. These are better at holding up, and don't taste bad. that said, the forever stem is a good alternative too.

9. Major

Major Member

He he...... we think alike. Seems the dremel tool is the answer to many of lifes small irritations. Works great on cats for sure but I wonder if it works on women?

THAT BEING SAID...so far the flavor has greatly improved with doing the dremel thing and smoking a few bowls to the bottom. Forever stem is on the way and once that arrives we'll take care of that nasty old cheap stem taste. The only thing that bugs me about doing that is the stem costs more than the cob. No big deal. I'll have a Cob investment of $30... whoopie. The stem will outlast the cob and I'll put it on my other cob then.

What are they finishing the inside of these cobs with. I know it's not raw cob in there for sure.

I'm gonna go grab my portable dremel tool and go play with the cat now. :startle:

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Heeeeere kitty, kitty! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

11. rphillips

rphillips Member

It depends on the bit you use but yes, works on them too ;)

12. Major

Major Member

Success!!

Fixing that stupid protrubrence at the bottom of the bowl issue and toasting the bottom of the bowl plus a new stem Forever stem worked wonders guys. I like my cob now and Bob can go back to sucking trash cans!!

On a nicer note I discovered that the balsa filters for my Savinelli's also fit the Mer Cob perfectly cooling the smoke even more so for an flavorful experience while I fish in my Kayak.

Put this in yer pipe and smoke it with me if you'd like: http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k528/Major_Danger/Fishing/PeackockNov262020008.jpg
    Yes thats the vehicle assembly building where they put the rockets together b4 launch at cape canaveral. Some surreal moment huh?
    http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k528/Major_Danger/fishing054.jpg

Thanks again guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.