1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My Collection (thus far)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by gyrostatic, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

[​IMG]

Two MM cobs, my trusty workhorse Meer (who I love, despite the fact that she's a bit of a gurgler), and a good 'ol Doc Grabow. Nothing too fancy so far, although the more time I spend here, the more I can feel that PAD calling to me. Behind them are a few jars I picked up at Target for ~$5. I just mark the lid with a china marker or grease pencil with what's inside. Comes off easily enough with a pencil eraser.

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's a nice looking setup, llama! Those Grabows smoke a treat, don't they?

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Nothing like a collection of trusty workhorses - they see you through anything. Did note the "thus far" bit though!

Happy smoking all!

Gerry

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I bet it's nice to walk up to that and pick out your pipe and blend ! I know I love it ! Enjoy

5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Nice collection.
    I used to have my baccy in those jars, but was told here that Mason jars are better.
    Just an FYI.
    *Note: I am not an old fart pipe veteran though.

6. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

Bri2k: They certainly do. There's a certain hesitation involved with buying the first one. That little voice in the back of your head that says "It can't possibly be good if it's mass produced and sold in drug stores around the world." Then you smoke one, and figure out exactly WHY they're sold everywhere.

Falconeer: I've already got my eye on about a dozen other pipes. As soon as the holiday season is over and I have a bit of spending money again, I'll be looking to keep them company. Maybe a meerschaum from Altinok, an Erik Nording churchwarden. Oh and a calabash for the style, maybe an oom paul for the car, and everyone needs a Falcon, right? Then round that out with one or two of the lovely hand-makes I've seen from folks on this site. Then once phase 1 is complete...

ruffinogold: I haven't played around with blending my own yet. In the jars pictured are Sherlock's Choice and Chartwell from Tinderbox, Davidoff English Mixture (which is going to linger for a long time, I'm afraid. I don't much care for it), and Captain Black White because I had to see what all the fuss was about over the drugstore blends. It's not bad, although it's not as strong as I generally like.

Mington: You might very well be right about the mason jars, but these seal up nicely and I haven't had any problem with the toby drying out even with how dry it gets here in South Dakota. Leave a steak out for an hour and you've got unintentional jerky, but those jars seem to be doing the trick nicely.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Nice going! Somehow, I believe you're gonna be getting more? What's nice about this fine hobby of piping is that even if you only have one pipe and one pouch of toby, you aren't any less of a piper than one who has several of each to choose from. In your case, you're rich with choice, cobs, meer, briar, tobys, CONGRATS! I guess the disease has struck, NO? :whistle:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

8. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

Puff, you couldn't be more correct. I started puffing just over 2 years ago, and I was content with my generic basket pipe and some terrible generic blend I inherited from somewhere (about 5 pounds of it) in an unmarked vacuum sealed bag. It's only fairly recently that I've gotten back into the swing of things, and with better tobacco and even a halfway decent pipe, I find more relaxation and enjoyment out of it than I ever really thought I could.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.