1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

My Favorite Tobacco Pouch & Helpful Codger Tip

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by MAINE CODGER, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAINE CODGER

MAINE CODGER Member

Probably 75% of my tobacco purchases over 55 years have been in 14 oz. tub form resulting in my having had many various tobacco pouches. Without hesitation, my very favorite was a medium sized, unlined, deerskin pouch, with a heavy duty metal zipper, handmade by "Fred". Fred did all of
    his deer hunting at night----Fred was also the local Game Warden. He was never arrested for poaching; but, he was suspended quite a while for " using a state vehicle for personal use." I lost this
    great pouch in a bad fire that consumed a large portion of our 200 year old home. Codger Tip-----
    an occasional dab of Vasoline on the zipper track of your tobacco pouch, keeps it working better and longer. Might also work on your pants zipper,too. Later,----R.F.P.

2. ElCommi

ElCommi Member

My partner bought me a pouch for Christmas. The zip popped off the seams within a few weeks, we were gonig to return it. But with a new baby we lost track.
    At any rate, it was just in the small side compartment where I store my pipe tool and a cleaner. So not a big deal, still a little disappointing. :*(

3. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

I always wanted a nice handmade leather tobacco pouch, one of these days I am going to get one. Sorry to hear you lost the pouch and whatever else to a fire.

Shawn

MAINE CODGER likes this.
  4. MAINE CODGER

MAINE CODGER Member

@ ElCommi ----Too bad---- I've found that good roll up pouch can be more trouble-free and keep the tobacco
    fresher. The zippers used on todays mass produced pouches don't hold up well at all. "Fred" made a damn fine
    pouch; however, he is no longer among the living. I would try returning your Christmas gift for exchange----
    might be pleasantly surprised. R.F.P

dBear and ElCommi like this.
  5. ElCommi

ElCommi Member

It's from ra famous online rainforest, I wouldn't expect much. Will just chalk it up as an experience and learn from it. I can safely say, it's probably nowhere near as nice as yours was, but it still does it's main job and keeps the tobacco usable.
    Vaseline is a good tip though!

MAINE CODGER likes this.
  6. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Wow, a game warden that screwed who knows how many while he did the same or worse. Unbelievable.

Mark Dawson and MAINE CODGER like this.
  7. highstump

highstump Active Member

A small town I used to live in had a warden did almost the same thing. No personal gain in it for him, but being a small town (and a lumber mill town no less) he knew who was working and who was out of work. If you were in the out of work crowd he tended to look the other way when your load of firewood was bleeding.

bosun, dBear and MAINE CODGER like this.
  8. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Honestly, I can understand/appreciate that a lot more (helping people out) than the Game Warden himself going out and violating the law while ticketing citizens

highstump and ShawnP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.