My first attempt at a really old twist...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Darkly, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I was at the discount tobacco store this morning.. and spotted several old school chewing tobacco twists and plugs.. Ive read in several places that WAY back in the day, smoking a cut of twisted dried chewing tobacco was the common way, so I figured.. why not give it a shot...
    I picked up a knot of King B sweetened and got it home.. toke a pocketknife out and one of my beater cobs.
    The tobacco was, as I expected, hard and exceedingly dried... it was dark brown with a sheen but no moisture hardly at all. So I sliced off a couple coins worth of it minus the powder that some of it turned to and crumbled it up a bit on a piece of paper. Loaded up the chunkier pieces in the cobb and topped it off with some of the more powdery stuff. Gave it a light...
    It didn't take to a light very well at first.. and requires a couple relights but its DEFINITELY smokable... The flavor is a stronger tobacco flavor with a natural sweetness, kinda raisiny, with a stronger sweetness that is most definitely of molasses, which is what I assume is the main sweetener. It also seems to have just a little hint of some kinda spiciness, but not really sure on that one.
    All in all.. its a suprisingly good smoke, with the exception of the relighting issues. Burns REALLY slow, and keeps a really nice natural tobacco flavor I'm enjoying... Not really sure if drying it after chopping some off will help with the relighting issues.. but I'll have to try it. It took very little of the twist to fill my cobb so I'll be enjoying many more sessions of this twist.

2. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

It sounds tasty. How strong of a smoke is it? Could it be an all day smoke?

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

What a neat experience. Thanks for sharing it! My great grandfather used to chew a twisted tobacco, and I remember how good it smelled as a kid. Its one of the reasons tobacco appeals to me now. I never got into chew, but could see giving this a shot for nostalgia's sake.

MacNutz likes this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I must try this.

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Roy, does that little baccy place in Burleson sell twist chew tobacco? I don't know anywhere around me that does.

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I don't know. Now that I think about it, I can't think of any place that sells any chew other than Workhorse, Red man, or Beachnut - and none of those are twist. Sounds like we might need to order it from an on-line vendor.

7. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

The local place about 6 blocks from my apartment sells all manor of plug and twist chewing tobaccos... As far as strength goes, well, it def supplied me an ample dosage of Vitamin N and the flavors are pretty darn strong. So it's def not an all day smoke for me.. but then, I'm still a pipenoob.. I definitely did enjoy it and once I figure out how to get this stuff lit without having to use an entire bic lighter... well... I think it'll be pretty awesome.

8. Elwin

Elwin Member

I've smoked some twist and plug in my time, but as long as I can buy OTC's, they'll never be anything but a rare occasion.
    :)

I heard a story once, and while I don't know it for fact, it sounds like it could be true:
    In the days of the 'tall ships', sailors being at sea for months would have no access to tobacco except what they brought with them.
    So they would, for lack of a better term, 'recycle' their tobacco.
    They would chew twist or plug, but instead of disposing of it when done, they would spit it out and save it and dry it out to later smoke in their pipes.

If it's true, those were some stouthearted men...
    :ohyh:

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I like Cumberland Twist Sweet, when it's dry enough to be properly smokable it's actually really, really good! Glad you found something you like - sadly I can't find any twist chewing tobacco locally :(

10. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

One of my great uncles smoked twist, all the time. Like you, the smell of that tobacco and the smell of a plug of Bull of the Woods chew, is part of why tobacco, especially the strong ones, are so appealing to me.

Peculiar how some child hood interests never go away or if they do, they come back. If you live long enough.:old:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.