1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My first Boswell and my first estate pipe. What sort of cleaning will it need?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by BigB, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigB

BigB Member

Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I lurk a bit. Recently I fell in love with this used Boswell poker on eBay.

Anyways, she's mine now as a Christmas present from the wife.

I wondering how should I go about cleaning this pipe when I receive it? It looks pretty clean in the pictures, but I don't know if the seller gave it a cleaning/sanitizing or not. I sent him a message to ask but haven't heard back just yet.

Being that it's my first estate pipe I plan to at least give the mouthpiece a basic cleaning with alcohol. I'm a bit of a germaphobe. I can't see any tar or other buildup in the pictures, but you can tell it has been smoked some. It looks like there is at least a small amount of cake in the bowl.

If anyone has any cleaning tips that would be great.

Here are some pictures of the pipe. She looks like a nice chunky piece of briar and I love the plateau on the top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

They do make beautiful pipes and that sir is a beauty!

I got a churchwarden from them a few months ago and I am amazed at their craftsmanship.

Enjoy this in good health!

3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Congratulations, that looks like a great pipe!

As far as cleaning goes, if it isn't a gunky mess, I swab the stem of an estate inside and out with alcohol soaked pipe cleaners until they don't come out dirty (I usually use vodka because that's what I have around). For the bowl and shank, the first thing I do is take a good whiff of the bowl. If it smells like any type of tobacco in particular (lakeland, aromatic, latakia) then I treat it with a salt and alcohol treatment. If the existing cake doesn't smell like much in particular, and the cake doesn't need reaming, then I swab the bowl and shank with more vodka pipe cleaners, let it dry, and fire it up!

Enjoy!

4. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

That's exactly what what I do.

Beautiful pipe. Congrats!

5. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

Very nice. I am fairly new to pipe smoking and recently discovered Boswell while researching online the pipe smoking scene within Pennsylvania where I live. Boswell's shop is about three hours west of me so I think I'll head there one day.

I thought this pipe might be the one I missed out on recently on Ebay but as I look closer I can see it isn't. Similar though. I lost the bid on a Boswell that was the same color but a little chunkier. It was quite chunky indeed. If I end up getting an estate pipe I'll use this advice here to clean it up. Happy smoking with the new addition to your rotation.

6. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

That's a great looking pipe!
    +1 on the alcohol swab, but I prefer a little stronger stuff, like everclear.

7. BigB

BigB Member

Thanks guys. Hopefully she was lightly used and won't need much. I don't think I can get everclear here in California but I do have some vodka on hand, as well as a few whiskey's. Maybe a nice Laphroaig single malt? lol

8. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

You can get Everclear in California, but it's 151 proof.
    Unlike vodka or whiskey, it will not leave your pipe tasting like booze; just sweet.

9. BigB

BigB Member

Good to know, thanks. I'll have to look for some everclear at the liquor store, I'm sure it would come in handy for cleaning my other pipes as well.

I just received a message from the seller. He said the pipe has seen very light use and that he will be giving it a mild alcohol cleaning before shipping it out.:)

Spillproof likes this.
  10. Griz

Griz Active Member

Excellent information and explained well. Thank you kindly :) I need to head to the store as well.

11. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Gorgeous pipe!! +1 on the everclear if ya can get it.

12. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

The pipe looks pretty clean in the pictures. I'd say the same about Ever Clear. Here in my home state of Pennsylvania--you cannot get it. However due to my geographic location in the state--I can travel. The stuff I get is 190 proof'95% pure alcohol made from grain. I love it for cleaning pipes--I would NEVER even think about drinking it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.