1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My first briar pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by s1mp13m4n, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n Member

Hello everyone. I am in the market for my first quality briar pipe. I have a MM corn cob pipe right now and that is all I have smoked in a pipe. I understand that a pipe is a personal choice and that you should buy the best you can afford and also that everyone may have different likes and dislikes about a pipe.
    Now I am visually impaired, and I failed to mention this before in any post because I have found that it turns people off in other forums. I think it should be mentioned here because it may change how I shop for a pipe. I was born legally blind, so the looks or details of a pipe do not matter much to me. I am more concerned with the quality of the smoke.
    I am looking for value for the money, best bang for the buck. I would like to stay under $50 if I can. Should I buy new or esate? What are some quality brnds to look at for the $50 or under price point? What is the difference between a filtered and non filter pipe, and why would I want one over the other?
    I simply can not see fine detail working in the finish of the pipe or tell if the sanding work is top notch, etc. I want function over form. Do any of your out there have a pipe you may want to sell to get me started? Thanks for the help.

2. Jay

Jay Active Member

Paul,

I recently purchased, smoked and like a Kaywoodie Supergrain. It cost under $50 and smokes great. Ruff turned me on to a website that has them cheaper than I paid for mine at http://www.wvsmokeshop.com/kaywoodie.aspx they have really good prices. AND they are American made, so you can help out this crappy economy at the same time!

J

Oh and most of us are impaired in some way or another so don't let that stop you.

3. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

I think a Dr. Grabow is a great start for a briar pipe. They're around 20-30 dollars new and can be found at many CVS or Walgreens. They are filter pipes which do turn some people off, but I don't mind the draw without the filter, so I use mine a good deal.
    This link may be a pretty good read in determining if a filter pipe is for you.

Enjoy!

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I have a drawer full of ugly pipes that are new or next to it. I reject a great many pipes as I am making them, for visual reasons, mostly. Some are for slightly more serious defects, but I have a number that will still beat the hell out of anything else you can buy for 50 bucks.

They are yours for the asking, I might take 20 bucks to cover shipping.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Filtered pipes use either a paper or charcoal or dry wood filter fitted in the stem somewhere. A few people prefer them, but I think by and large, a good pipe does not need one. Some filters do well at absorbing moisture, some filters take a bit of the sharpness out of some blends.

Once I got into "good" pipes without filters, I never went back. Personally I find them a pain in the ass.

6. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I think a cob is a fine smoking pipe but it does have a country bumpkin reputation. I've only got basket briars except for my new Peterson which wasn't toooooo expensive but I'm sure whatever Sasquatch thinks deserves the dustbin for aesthetic reasons smokes better than any commercial pipe. I don't get a cut of the commission, this is just Sas' reputation. The same would apply for any of the pipe smiths that sell here. They are proud of their work and don't deal in junk even if they don't command top dollar.

Grabows and Kaywoodies have good reputations, are easy to get at a drug store, and don't cost too much. A briar feels better than a cob in the hand but really, it's only the smoke that counts. That's why most of us buy pipes.

A good pipe isn't about looks. What matters is how it smokes and treats you. It can be the ugliest thing on the block but if it smokes well, brother, that's a good pipe. Best wishes on building the collection. You've got the right criteria to score some sweet pipes at low prices. We should all be so smart.

WK

7. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n Member

PM sent

8. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

I've been buying a few pipes in the $50 range, a Savinelli Venezia 803ks Canadian, Nording traditional Billiard, and a Parker Jockey. The main quality I looked for was that they smoke good, and they all do that, the Nording is the best out of those 3.

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and Welcome,

I think you are using absolutely the best criteria to choose a pipe - no matter how pretty or artistic a pipe is, if it's not a good smoker then it's a waste of a good piece of wood.

I can honestly recommend a Sas pipe, they are well engineered, don't gurgle and have just about perfect balance. You might get more satisfaction from the feel of a rustic model but all of his pipes smoke well and I believe his "rejects" will be far better than many pipes available from stores.

Happy smoking and welcome again

Gerry

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Gerry is on the money. You actually have a bit of advantage on a lot of us, Paul; Lots of people come into pipe smoking with a certain picture of a pipe or aesthetic in their head, and buy based on form instead of function. You are able to jump to the heart of the matter and, if you get a Squatch, will never have a better smoker.

11. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n Member

Thank you all for the great help and advice. I am looking forward to learning as I go and enjoythis this hobby....on a budget. :) I will be honest, I have been looking at Dr. Grabow pipes online because of the price and the fact they are made in the USA in NC. I like the idea of a filtered pipe but then again my $5 MM corn cob pipe is filtered and it is all I know. From what I am reading the filters cuts the nicotine back and helps with moisture issues. I hear that the filter can cut draw but again I have nothing to compare that with and to me my MM corn cob is like sucking on a straw, so I see not draw issues. What are your thoughts on a Dr. Grabow pipe? I can get those for around $23 from my local smoke shop or drugstore.

12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I've never heard anyone say that Grabows smoked poorly. I think if I was buying in that range, it's a brand I would look at seriously.

Sasquacth factory seconds (I need a brand for these - Prairie Queen or something) will be in the mail in the next few days.

13. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

There ya go...a name the "seconds" contest!

14. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I thought you were the prairie queen?

15. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n Member

Thank you so much for the "factory seconds"...that is just wonderful. I do not think I will bother with a pipe now and just wait on this wonderful gift and smoke a nice handmade pipe. Hmmm, what to call these "factory seconds". I have an idea, how about "imperfects", "the pipes that I do not want to sell as perfect pipes because they are not perfect pipes but are in fact imperfect" pipes, or how about "handmade seconds"? :)

16. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Sasquatch seconds.... hmmm.
    how about Paranthropus.

Paranthropus were robust members of the extinct hominin genus Paranthropus: quite different from that of the genus Homo, in that it was not as adaptable to its environment or as resourceful. So basically they were uglier and less prominent than a Sasquatch.
    -_-

17. WillH

WillH Active Member

Paul,

Humm...seems to me I pick pipe without the visual sense even though I have sight.

My process:

1. How does it feel in my hand - heft and balance. The pipe must be light weight and feel good in my hand!

2. Length must be about 6".

3. Fit. Does the stem fit the shank properly?

4. Bowl size. Can I get my finger into the bowl and is it at least an 1" deep?

5. Bowl shape. Gotta be a tapered bowl. Wide at the top and narrow and at the bottom with fairly thick walls.

6. How does the stem fell in my mouth. Is it comfortable? I like a thin stem, at the mouth piece, with some internal flaring. (Tough to see but you can feel it with a paper clip)

7. How does the pipe draw - nice and easy with no funny noises?

8. Is the pipe drilled properly? Does the draft hole enter the bowl at the bottom? Neither too low or too high? (again a paper clip with tell you all you need to know)

9. How does the pipe smell. Should smell good - no funny odors.

10. The last criteria is appearance. Does it the pipe please my eye? In your case this would not be an issue.

So thar ya be! Sight shouldn't be an issue in pipe selection until the pipe meets all the other requirements. Most of my briar pipes were purchased naked - no finish other than a coat of wax and most have small fills here and there. I believe you should be able to find a very nice pipe without using vision. Matter-of-fact most pipes that don't smoke for poop were purchased only because they were pretty! Also, I firmly believe expensive pipes are priced high based solely on how the look!

You should do well in selecting a great pipe without sight - me thinks better than most because you won't be corrupted by how the pipe looks! :thumbsu:

Will

18. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n Member

I am excited and looking forward to a nice pipe. Yes I like my MM corb cob but I know there are better and more enjoyable pipes out there.

19. pottsy

pottsy Member

Well I and others tend to refer to your "for sale" pipes as Sas Originals, so play off of that.
    Maybe Sasquatch Reserve's :thumbsu: " Slightly imperfect in the makers eye, better than any other damn pipe you'll buy."

The tag line even rhymes!!

20. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Since the ones you like are Sas Pipes, Quatched Pipes would be appropriate for seconds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.