1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My first churchwarden

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by cathain, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathain

cathain Member

So a month or two ago, I caved into my PAD and went for something that I thought was a bit frivolous but decided to have anyway - a churchwarden. If I didn't, I knew I'd always be pining for one. So I had a look around various websites, but the problem was that I wanted one with a long stem and I couldn't really tell from any of the pictures on those sites as there was nothing to compare them to in the pics.

Anyway, I finally opted for the Peterson D6 :-

[​IMG]

As soon as I took it out of the box, I was impressed.
    This one easily has a long enough stem. It also looks fantastic as the smooth finish is a real delight.
    Overall, a great looking pipe. Of course the real test was in the smoking. I wondered if it would be difficult to draw through or light, but I needn't have worried. This is my second Peterson and both are great smokers. One thing I will say is that I get gurgle with it at times, but I am admittedly a wet smoker. However, while it can be a little annoying it's never really affected the smoke. The smoke itself is perfectly cooled by the long stem. I've never experienced any bite at all since I've had it, no matter what toby I've been smoking. The biggest plus for me however is simply the comfort and aesthetic properties. I'm not really a clencher and so tend to hold all my pipes anyway. So having to hold the D6 isn't an issue for me (clenching is possible but hugely unpractical). Actually, I can more or less rest my hand on my lap and smoke without having to hold it up to my mouth.

So my poor D5, previously my favourite, has barely been used since.
    I'm delighted that I made the decision to but this little beauty (albeit with a fair sizedbowl), and it will definately not be my last long stem, that's for sure. I'd recommend this to anyone.

2. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

That is a very nice pipe, you did a great job on picking that warden out. I myself am a churchwarden fan and have a Savinelli Bent rustic warden that i love very much. As for the gurgle they make churchwarden pipe cleaners that are plenty long enough to slide in and soak up the gurgle and return to a smooth easy smoke, i have about 4 packs of them on hand for my warden. Well happy puffing!!!!! I hope she treats you great!!!!

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Churchwardens ROCK! Corn-gratz! She's a beaut!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

4. VibrativePiano6

VibrativePiano6 Member

I've a similiar churchwarden, but it's not a name brand. It's Czech briar with a MT in a shield mark.

I've had a clay churchwarden for a long time. But I was always scared I'd break the damn thing.

Very nice score there. It's the same pipe Mickey Rourke is using in my avatar :) I'm jealous! What did she set ya back?

5. cathain

cathain Member

Thanks all, I'm very pleased with it.

@Bubba Thanks for the tip, I might try that next time I'm getting gurgle.

@Vib Hey, that's pretty cool. Is that pic from a film? She wasn't as expensive as I thought. Under the £50.00 mark, so about $75 I guess. I've been looking at clays but I'm worried they are fragile as well. I know I'll probably end up getting one eventually though. PAD is impossible to resist for too long!

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Nice pipe!
    Some Petes will gurgle at first, but seem to settle down after a bit...yours should too.

7. snowman

snowman Member

Hello.

That pipe is a beauty. I also got a stanwell churchwarden and it came in the mail yesterday.Enjoy your new pipe it best of health.

8. Jayhp

Jayhp Member

Very impressive!

9. ECross

ECross Member

Right on. Gotta love churchwardens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.