1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My First Custombilt

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by zippo, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippo

zippo Member

I just smoked my Custombilt for the first time today after getting it off eBay and cleaning it up a bit and I have to say I am really surprised at how well it smoked and felt. It is a straight, squat pot style. The pipe felt good in the hand and comfortable to clench, probably the biggest saddle bit stem pipe I have. When I received the pipe I re-drilled out the airway at 5/32 (only the 2nd time I’ve done this to a pipe so still pretty nerve racking) cleaned out any gunk that was left and gunk from the stem, and reamed the bowl. I was really surprised at how the grain popped after I cleaned it up and think that’s why I am really drawn to these pipes now (besides the fact it is a good smoker). It isn’t the most beautiful grain but the rustication is so bold and in your face it amazes me that there is somewhat decent looking grain underneath it. All in all I am more than pleased with it and extremely excited I got my hands on this one and will definitely be looking for more in the future.

-Zippo

2. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Pics please
    [​IMG]

Kiowapipe and dBear like this.
  3. zippo

zippo Member

4. zippo

zippo Member

5. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

You said it was nerve wracking to drill the pipe--are you using power tools? It's a good idea to just put the drill bit in a vice, and twist the pipe/stem slowly through the area you need to drill larger. Neat pipe, by the way!

6. zippo

zippo Member

Thanks! And yea I've done it with the vice once or twice but right now my vice is under so much junk and the garage is so cold that I've opted to just use power tools for the two I have done.

7. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Custom-Bilts are fun pipes. I have a whole bunch of them (I think 12 or so). At least half of them are great smokers. Some of the others are just ok. Then again, I've never tried altering their original engineering.

If you're interested in the brand, you should check out Bill Unger's book about it.

8. zippo

zippo Member

Yea I think I am going to pick up the book here soon and give it a go. I've heard it's really informative and decent read so I'm looking foward to it. Now the only problem is I'll want more than one custombilt haha can never have to many pipes or tobacco I guess :puffy:

9. bambam

bambam Sales Account

Have a Custombilt myself. I really love that shape you have there.

10. zippo

zippo Member

Thanks! They are a really cool pipe. What shape do you have?

11. bambam

bambam Sales Account

It is an apple with a saddlebit. I prefer the straight sided with flat rim. Probably will sell
    it off eventually for a straight sided one. Definitely a must for my collection though is a Custombilt.

I also love the BP Jums, have 2 of those. They are like Custombilt twins.

12. zippo

zippo Member

I would eventually like to get a BP Jum but every listing I see for them on ebay always goes over what I say I'm willing to spend. I also like the His Nibs pipes, the scrap briar that they couldnt use for Custombilts I think is what I read? I have one and it's only around 3 inches but it smokes awesome. I have another Custombilt on its way in the mail now and cant wait to get it and clean it up a bit to smoke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.