My first English Blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Smokingmiami, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

So I finally decided to venture out of the world of aros and into the world of VA and English blends. Being a big fan of C&D blends I stared on their website reading about their English tobaccos. The one that caught my eye was #420 Habana Daydream. I read some reviews on it and that was it I placed an order for 4oz. I have been eagerly awaiting a package on my doorstep for the last couple of days and on my way home yesterday my wife calls and tells me I received a packed but it smells horrible. On my arrival at the house sure enough she was right, it reeked. After opening the package the aroma hit me in the face and it definitely was not appealing. The tobacco looked great but it smelled bad. A little disappointed I decided to split it between two 8oz. mason jars and left some to sample.

When I woke up this morning and walked into my office there was a small box sitting on my desk. When I open the package I find this

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/smokingmiami/100_4507.jpg

My wife said she felt bad about my disappointment with the smell of the tobacco that she wanted to give me an early gift. It is rather an unusual looking pipe but anything from my wife always makes me happy. It is a Big Ben Invention, guessing it was a specialty pipe or year pipe since it has a number 613 on the side.

Given that she lifted my spirits I went ahead and dedicated this pipe as my first English pipe. I proceeded to fill the bowl with the #420 HD and tamp down. I packed a little more than half and left for work. I did not want to smoke in the car ride because I really wanted to enjoy the smoke and get at taste for what an English blend is all about. Given that the weather here in the summer is intolerable for pipe smoking I took a pair of keys from a vacant warehouse unit and decided to smoke my pipe peacefully inside the vacant unit.

WOW!!! What have I been missing? This tobacco is GREAT!!!! Smokes like no aro I have ever smoked, nice full, white smoke and what flavor. The bowl lasted me about 40 mins. and what was left was a fine ash. It taste nothing like it smells. It has a full rich taste of tobacco. I might just have to buy some more and store it beacuse one of those jars is coming back out.

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Lesson here SM...worse it smells in package the better it tastes to you...but in time you grow to LOVE that scent :)

3. Barako

Barako Member

I love the smell of Latakia in a freshly opened tin :) welcome to the club ! :lolu:

4. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Mmmmm.... English Blend smell...

My first English was a tin of Davidoff Royalty. I opened the tin right outside the tobacconist and took a big whiff and swooned with pleasure. I loved it from the start.

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Very cool pipe. Huzzah! for wives.

FWIW, I always think the best maduro cigars should stink a bit of cat piss. I'm sure my cats diasagree but I call 'em like I see 'em.

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Two good breaks in a row! What a lucky guy! [​IMG] Now it's time for you to check out the thread on latakia bombs [​IMG]

7. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Speaking of Lat bombs Dondi, did you ever order any? I have some 10 Russians out for delivery that I'm going to sit on till it gets a bit cooler out.

8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Yup, I got 10 Russians coming to me in the mail [​IMG]

9. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Ok if you dont mind me saying thats one hell of a woman, she has really good taste, that pipe looks awesome very unique, and the birds eyes are very nice. OK that said i love me a good bowl of a strong english, but i may be crazy, if the voices are right anyways........ But i love to take a good strong english and mix in one of my favorite aro's makes for a very good smoke.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

the best part of the story is that your wife is really cool ! She gottcha a cool lookin pipe man ! Enjoy the new blend and pipe . It might even be better w/ Golden extra in it :D

11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

SM, I'm not that much of an English fan, but that
    pipe is amazing!! :D to your wife.

dp

12. Jay

Jay Active Member

SM

When I opened my first tin of Squadron Leader (an English) the smell was, at the time horrible and I couldn't fathom the thought of actually smoking it. It was pretty moist so I let it dry out for a day or two and it was sublime. I couldn't wait for my next bowl and really it was all I could think about for a few weeks. So, yes, the old dead foot in the old stinky shoe smell is typical.

J

13. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Well, when I first decided to try smoking a pipe I was told by a friend that GL Pease was one of the finest blenders going. I trusted that advice and decided to order a pipe and 3 tins of tobacco to give it a try. I read all thru the GL Pease descriptions and ended up ordering Westminster, Odyssey and Haddo's Delight. HD was the blend my friend raved about. The other two I ordered based on the descriptions. I had no idea what an English blend was or what latakia was.

So, I have in my little pea brain the idea of what I thought pipe tobacco was. My dad use to smoke a pipe once in a great while and he always smoked some type of aromatic. I think he use to get Captain Black White and some kjind of cherry blend. So that was all I knew of pipe tobacco.

My order arrived and I could not wait to get to it. I pulled those tins out and had to check out the contents. I will never, ever forget the first whiff that hit me when I popped the seal on the Westminster. I seriously thought " Hahahahaha! I seriously thought I screwed up. I popped open the Odyssey and repeated the same question again. So I start reading on the internet and it does not take long to see that Westminster and Odyssey have rave reviews. So I think to myself, what the heck, might as well give it a go. And I tried it. Stunk and tasted real funny. This was not my dad's tobacco. I smoked some Haddo's and went and bought some Capt. Black and Mac B Burley London Blend. Then a couple days later I burned another bowl of Westminster. Hmmm, not AS BAD. Then a day or so later I was at work and I was thinking about that Westminster, kinda sounded good. So I burned another bowl when I got home. The stuff was getting better. Next thing you know that is all I wanted. I'd pop the lid off the tin and just inhale the smokey aroma. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Now I LOVE opening a package that has a bunch of latakia in it. I love it when an order gets here and as soon as I cut the box open that latakia aroma slaps me in the face.

I sometimes wonder if dad had ever gotten ahold of something other than those aros if he'd have thrown out those ciggies and stuck with the pipe.

You are heading down the path of no return. Won't be long and you'll relish that nasty smelling stuff. Your wife, on the other hand, will probably never come to like the smell.

14. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

When I first opened my tin of GLP Robusto, I though it smelt like something from a stable!

Wasn't just the latakia, I think it was the cigar leaf as well.

So if you think latakia blends smell bad, wait till you try an english blend with cigar leaf thrown in! :thumb:

15. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Wives can be marvellous! A most unusual looking pipe, but as it's a Big Ben it'll be a good 'un. Happy smoking for many years with it - and just stay on the voyage of discovery with new tobaccos; you just never know what nuggets you'll find!

Best to all

Gerry

16. hagbard

hagbard Member

Far out pipe. Your wife's a keeper! I'd like to introduce her to mine. Maybe some would rub of.

As for latakia, my first real intro to good pipe tobacco came during a visit to P&C. One of the fellows who works the floor talked to me for a bit trying to figure out what I was into. First he put a jar of a G&H rope under my nose. The interaction went something like this:

Me: "This is real tobacco!"

P&C: " I know."

Me: "I don't think you do! This is actually real tobacco!"

P&C: " Yeah. I know."

Then he directed me to the 10 to Midnight. I've never looked back. Now my entire house smells like old bots that have been hung over the fire for too long. I couldn't be happier about that.

17. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

So I smoked a bowl of one of my favs today, C&D Apricots and Cream, and while it was pleasing I could not stop thinking about HD. After my bowl I went inside and the first thing I did was pick up the HD and took a big whiff. Yup still smells horrible but its not stopping me from packing a bowl.

Good to see I wasn't the only person to curse myself when opening the package Glenn. You had me laughing my head off with that story.

Thanks for all the kind words and the compliments on the wife gentlemen, she is great.

18. ryan65

ryan65 Member

I love the smell of english blends, I'm still confused why people dont like it lol

19. Burner

Burner Member

I dislike the smell of latakia. I can just about put up with it in Dorisco mixture as it almost disappears once lit up and the perique takes over. That said it does contribute to what is a superb complex smoke.

20. ErichPryde

ErichPryde Member

Miami-

I just had a similar experience with McClelland Legends. It does NOT smell like what I expected it to smell like, but man did it smoke well! Not sure I'm going to be able to sell the wife on it, though. :crazysmile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.