1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My first estate nightmare!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by 1stGenRex, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Let me preface this by saying that I'm pretty OCD when it comes to keeping this in as best of shape as I can, when it comes to ANY hobby....

Anywho, mail call was today, and I was excited that I got 2 new Savinellis in...One of them, however, proved to be quite a pain in the arse!

Here's the pipe cleaners I used on the stem...I'd say I used a few more in the shank, but somehow, they weren't as bad...Estate pipes can be nice...but sometimes, you end up with this as a bonus!

[​IMG]

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

This seems cleaner than most. I hope you enjoy it.

3. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Maybe I've just gotten lucky with my other ones...Either way, this makes want to just save up and buy new.

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

...and then there's knuckleheads like myself who enjoy the process of cleaning mucked up old pipes for its own sake :)
    (Okay, I'm also cheap.) ;)

dwaugh likes this.
  5. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

That's not to say I'm not enjoying the learning experience...it'll be a reward once I'm able to return it to serviceable shape, and smoke it...for $30 I paid for it, it's a nice looking pipe on the outside. I figured "Very Nice Condition" meant both on the inside and outside to a seller that lists at least 20 estate pipes at a time.

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Geez, my cleaners look like that after one smoke....

7. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, because my cleaners don't look anything CLOSE to that after one smoke....:confused:

8. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

He was kidding. I have gotten some estates that were worse than what you posted its rare that your going to find one thats any cleaner than what you have like Moo said. You can get a good price as you already know but with that comes a cost. Your learning

9. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

I figured he was :P Anywho, I can now touch the bottom of the bowl...where before, I couldn't even put my little finger in the bowl...Progress is being made :P

10. TxPipesmoker

I don't ever remember my father cleaning his much, but then again I never gave it any thought

11. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Like I said, I try to keep my stuff as clean as possible. Close to the point of obsession. Perfect example is with my photo gear...I shoot paintball (this is from a tournament in Huntington Beach...I'm on the far left)
    [​IMG]

If you looked at my gear, you'd be hard pressed to find evidence that it's ever been on a paintball field...which is tough considering how dirty we get.

12. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

look at all the canon gear! Woot!

13. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

There were some dark days (it was when I started) that I was shooting Nikon...It's because of the convenience factor that I switched to Canon. If I needed to borrow a battery, or a lens, and I was shooting Nikon...I'd be on my own. Being that it's always the "Usual Suspects" on the side lines, we tend to help eachother out when we can.

14. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Well, I was kidding, but seriously, there are some tobaccos that leave a God-awful mess regardless of how well smoked they are. If I smoked three bowl of Commonwealth in a pipe without cleaning it, the cleaners would come out looking like yours.

15. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Clean pipes are for sissies.

16. TxPipesmoker

I run a pipe cleaner down the bit after a smoke, but that's the extent of it.

17. telltime

telltime Active Member

I also think that the number and condition of pipe cleaners you show is pretty much nothing for an estate. But it's good to know your standards are high if you ever post one up for trade or sale...

Nothing like a new pipe, though. It's nice knowing nothing has been burned it there except what you've put in it. But I do enjoy my estates (from my Grandfather) as well.

18. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Wow, those are some dirty cleaners!

19. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

There were at least a half dozen more, and I found out why the shank wasn't as dirty...what formed in there is hard to describe in any other way than it had about the same look/texture of the stuff that forms around an oil leak on your engine, but thicker. It was soft, and took some scraping to get out of there. After about 2 hours I feel I have a very smoke-able pipe. I'll have to try it out and see how it does.

20. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Well, 1GR, lets see the pipe in question!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.