My first experience...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by dfrontiera, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfrontiera

dfrontiera Member

Hello everyone!

Well as I mentioned in my introduction, I went out today and got my first pipe, a nice corn cob (Missouri Meerschaum)and 2 types of tobacco. The first was an aromatic vanilla house blend and the other was called Captain Black. I decided for my first smoke I'd try the vanilla house blend because I love the taste and smell of vanilla, after lighting up I found that the house blend was just "okay" the flavor and smell was a bit more smokey than I had expected from an aromatic and I couldn't taste or smell the vanilla at all, that was the most disappointing part, in fact I'd compare the taste, smell and sweetness to a swisher sweet cigar. It also left me quite buzzed which I didn't expect as well. I remain however, undaunted and look forward to the Captain Black which smells much sweeter and perhaps will be a bit more mild. I know I need to develop my taste to the different flavors and subtitles that come with the art of smoking a pipe and I look forward to my next bowl!

-Deke

2. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Welcome Deke,
    Stick with it and keep trying as many different types of Toby you can. There is plenty of advice here.
    Just remember to smoke slowly if you want to taste all those subtle flavors.
    Cheers.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Don't inhale......

4. Jay

Jay Active Member

Deke,

Keep smoking and you will find that one can acquire more pipes, tobaccos and accessories than any woman with a shoe habit! You seem to be well on your way. I remember that Alcoholics Anonymous would say "one drink is too many and a thousand is never enough", just apply that wisdom to your pipe/toby, and the world seems to become more enjoyable. Seriously though, one of the first things I did when I started smoking a pipe was to smoke too fast. Pipe tobacco,especially the aromatics--Capt. Black etc, don't like to be rushed, and are enjoyed with a slower cadence of smoking than one would initially think. Take your time, and don't concentrate to hard on smoking or your head will get in the way of the enjoyment.

Best,
    Jason

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It's a pretty common situation Deke - this pouch smells SOOO good and then you light the stuff up and ...meh, not so much. Practice and good techniqe will allow you to taste more as you go along, but some tobaccos just smell better in the bag than they do in the pipe. Luckily, a lot of tobaccos smell like horsey stall in the pouch, and dance when you light up.

So my advice is to find some tobacco you think smells like crap (camel crap particularly, and I'm not kidding) and pick up some of that.

6. dfrontiera

dfrontiera Member

Hey guys thanks for the advice!

I never inhale so that's not a concern.

I think part of my problem was how fast I was attempting to smoke my pipe and then consciously realizing that I needed to slow down so then that kept my mind occupied rather than enjoying the smoke as a whole. Tomorrow I plan to take some time with my smoke and I'll report back how I like the Captain Black. I have also found some mixes by Boswell's I want to try like Paradise, and Christmas cookie. They both sound excellent. I'm also open to some suggestions as well.

Keep smoking!
    -Deke

7. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

If you want to try a good vanilla, i recommend "Green River Vanilla" from Cornell and Diehl. I love vanilla and this one is the best vanilla I've found so far.

8. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Aromatic tobacco's are generally a bit of a letdown...
    As a noob you can consider yourself lucky if you taste anything else than hot air and then get tongue bite due to puffing too hard in the quest for that elusive flavor.

Puff slowly and let the smoke gently flow. Sit down with nothing planned and just get into the moment.
    You'll get there and when you got it once it's like riding a bike...

From boswell I recommend Raspberry Cream... Yummy raspberries in there and plenty of sweet creamyness.

/J

9. thatpipedude

thatpipedude Member

Three Blind Moose from 4noggins is a great aromatic with lots of flavor, butterscotch vanillaish, that reasonably priced, smells great, and is easy to taste. The captain black should treat you nice, it's my personal fave. As stated above, it's my experience that while almost overwhelmingly strong in the pouch, the taste is sometimes subtle and hard to grasp unless smoked slowly and leisurely. But man do the gals love aros!

10. thatpipedude

thatpipedude Member

Oh, on a side note, bought a great smelling aro once some type of rum stuff from a B&M...it was more of a headshop and the crap tastes like insence still after quite sometime, so be mindful of where you get it and how you store it.

11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

If you place an order from the nice folks at Boswell's, do yourself a favor and grab some Pennsylvania Dutch Treat. Smells and tastes like berries. Not too sweet and an easy and forgiving smoke too. Their Christmas Cookie is excellent and everyone loves the room note. I took some and blended it with a little PA and sprinkled rum on it for what I call Prince Albert's Christmas Rum Cookies. I'm looking forward to enjoying it over the holidays!

12. dfrontiera

dfrontiera Member

Hey guys!

Smoked my Captain Black which was an improvement over the other stuff I had. I'm not sure if it is the tobacco, or the way I smoked it but it was much milder and wasn't as smokey. I still think I'm trying to smoke too fast though and I'm trying to learn to smoke my pipe slower. Part of the problem is the wife makes me smoke outside and it's getting cold out so there is a bit of a rush to get back in. I'm tempted to get a heater for the garage just so I can be a bit more comfortable when smoking my pipe, at least until I can find an aromatic I like that she also likes and will let me smoke inside. Right now she says everything I'm smoking just smells like smoke. :-/

Also, thanks for all the great selections you offered up. I've started a list of tobacco's I want to try and have added all of them to it. My list is growing exponentially!
    Hope you are all well!
    Keep Smoking!
    -Deke

13. thatpipedude

thatpipedude Member

I don't know...if she doesn't like the room note from CBW it maybe hopeless... :roflmao:

14. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Welcome to the forum Deke..
    I am a newbie still. I've been smoking on and off for about 10 mos. Like you I started with Captain Black- Cherry and White. The White was a much better smoke however; like you've stated, try to smoke is slow. Now I prefer other baccy to the Captain. I've grown to like all the blends I've tried. English, Vaper and Burley so far. Like you the garage will become my home soon because of the weather change. My wife doesn't like the smell all that much either, specifically the English.
    I've never tried it but, I hear its a great baccy, with an excellent room note. It's Macbaren Honey&Chocolate. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=H&TID=2882Some say the room note makes you want to eat chocolate. That might just be the perfect baccy for me to be let back in the house... the wife loves chocolate....

Cheers, and Welcome to the wonderful world of pipe smoking...

15. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Mix the honey and choc with MB vanilla cream...... Tis lovely.... Add a tad of cherry....yum!

16. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

On our "first ladies" and room note:

Came in from smoking an aromatic last night and the little missus complained (!!!) about the "stink"...
    She prefers when I've smoked English blends like Presbyterian, Squadron Leader, Northwoods or Skiff.

So, go figure that one out, Einstein! :roflmao:

/the smeller

17. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Reminds me of the time my girlfriend said she didn't dislike the smell of cigar smoke as much as she dislikes the smell of aromatic pipe smoke. I could never wrap my head around that one.

18. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Yes the Distaff side can be strange - my first wife hated Benson and Hedges Mellow Virginia. I'm still smoking the Mellow Virginia and sadly (Not!) now married to her. As you say - go figure that!

Gerry

19. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I had a similar experience last night, ff. I went out to smoke some McClelland 5110 and my wife came in saying I smelled like "strongly brewed black tea" and said it was pleasant. But she complains about the aros! I don't get it.

20. dfrontiera

dfrontiera Member

Hey everyone!

Today's exploration was a mix of both tobaccos, the vanilla and captain black and wow what a difference. I also did something I haven't done before which was to mix up the bowl every so often which leads me to a question. When you smoke do you tamp only or do you mix then tamp? Most of the information and tips said really to just tamp but I find if I just tamp (at least with these tobacco's) I end up losing the flavor and aroma and instead end up with a cigarette ash smell and taste. I'm also still having some issues with with aftertaste and again it might just be the tobacco but I'm worried it might be how I'm smoking it or perhaps how I'm filling the bowl. I've been using the 3 pinch method (light, soft, firm). I've also noticed a definite increase in taste by slowing down, I smoked my pipe twice today and both times I slowed my draws way down and it was a much better experience. And thanks to all of you who responded and offered advice I'm still learning and really appreciate all your tips and encouragement. Makes me really glad I joined this community.

Keep Smoking!
    -Deke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.