My first real screw up

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Hugepom, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugepom

Hugepom Member

OK. So this isn't so much a post looking for advice from you guys, but more of me openly admitting that I've got a long way to go, and who better to hear it that than our own wise and mighty elders.

After thinking I was really starting to get the hang of this pipe smoking thing, and beginning to understand my palate and what direction my taste is going, I completely mess it up with what would have to be called a "rookie move". While sitting out back in my yard after a long day at work, I was enjoying a bowl of McClelland's Capt Cool, compliments of Mr. NickWilliams, and found myself enjoying it more than any other tobacco I've tasted thus far. Now maybe it was the combination of a good baccy, the serenity of my sleeping children and feel of my brand new over sized poker in my hand, but it seemed I lost track of time and had no idea how long I'd been out there. The bowl, after initial lighting, did not require any relights and as I said, was better than any before it. As a few consecutive puffs seemed to produce less and less smoke, I figured it was time for a relight, and grabbed my pack of matches. After a light tamp, I fired up a match, held it gingerly above the bowl trying no to pull the full flame in, and drew a long breath to relight. All of a sudden, WHAM!, the taste of burning ash, and fire went ripping through my mouth. I all but threw my pipe to the ground and nearly choked. Apparently, I had reached the bottom of my bowl and having lost myself in the enjoyment, never realized it, and as a result, ruined the whole experience for me.

I know you're all going to tell me that the judgement comes in time and that it happens to everyone, but I just wanted to put it out there that I now have a better understanding of how this is as much an art as it is a science. It bothers me that I could make such a obvious dumb mistake with something that I have been working so hard at lately, but it also reinforces that the reason it happened is because I was so relaxed and enjoying the moment at hand that I lost track of time. And isn't that really what its about? Sitting back, relaxing and enjoying your place in time.

2. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

Congratulations!!! You smoked your first bowl to the bottom!!!! Lol i did the samething once. :)

Capt likes this.
  3. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

You ain't the only one to do that one.:puffy:

neoclassical likes this.
  4. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Nirvana! Congratulations.

Professor likes this.
  5. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

Congratulations. You enjoyed it so much because you quit trying so hard!

Professor likes this.
  6. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Been there, done that.. It's an odd paradox, while you're hosing the ash out of your face you're left with a great feeling that all is right with the world...

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Tongue branding and palate blisters are an occupational hazard and a badge of courage. Well done sir. Welcome to the club.

Hasn't happened to me in years. Proper filling and tamping curb the episodes. Experience seems to cure repeating that sort of thing although the large airway in many cobs presents an area for anyones attention.

8. Nickypug

Nickypug Member

I've had that expreience and there was always a mixed feeling of "voila", and "dang-it, I wanted another puff".

orto, Kiowapipe and Jay like this.
  9. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

:gjob:Mr Owl how many puffs does it take to get to the bottom of a brand new oversized poker.

HazyDat620 and SmokingGun like this.
  10. Professor

Professor Active Member

+1 that ^

11. Jay

Jay Active Member

Been there a few times. It's a mixed bag though, having a fantastic smoke but realizing the hard way it is over.

Professor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.