1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

My first smoke! (and a tobacco question)

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Tyler Lad, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

I've never known any pipe or cigar smokers (in fact I doubt I've even seen one in years), so it was sorta special to me to have my first smoke yesterday.
    Waited 10 days for my nice, but cheap, churchwarden and Frog Morton tobacco that I thought would be best to start with.

When it all came I couldn't wait to try it out...
    so I packed the small bowl carefully- managed to keep it lit (after several tries) for 10 minutes before a relight. So I think I lucked up. Loved the smell and taste of the stuff as I puffed it. hah, burnt my finger and tongue a little bit, but I'll learn.

After the 20 minute bowl, I knew I'd found a new hobby :] I loved it.

Alright, as for my question:
    I love the taste, smell, feel of smoking my pipe. Even the cleaning is alright by me. But after those two bowls my throat itched, and my chest bothers me a little. Next morning I felt it, too. I don't think my body likes the nicotine or something (and I'm not sure that I do, either)
    haha, yea I know I'm a new pup. I could get adjusted to the tobacco. But I'm wondering- is there any tobacco you guys could recomend for someone who has never smoked, maybe something light? Maybe there's an aromatic blend out there that is fun to smoke and not real strong. I know nothing about aromatic blends (will they hurt the pipe somehow, are they somehow stronger than the non-aromatics?) so maybe some of you guys can help me out!

Mington likes this.
  2. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Active Member

Well...Frog Morton shouldn't have much nicotine in it. Where you inhaling?

3. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

No sir, sure wasn't.

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

A few smokers claim that blends with latakia leaf give them the same reaction you described. Frog Morton definitely has latakia and you might be one of those few who can't tolerate it.

5. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Try some simple CH,PA or maybe some Capt Black see if that works for you.

RTOdhner likes this.
  6. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Thanks, Arkie. I will try something other than a latakia blend.
    Sorry colorduke, what's CH and PA?
    And I was thinking about Capt. Black so I'll probably try that.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Carter Hall and Prince Albert - old standby sort of blends.

Could be the latakia, could just be that your body is reacting and saying "Hey, what the hell was that?"

8. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Welcome to the pleasures of the pipe! Taste is very personal so experimentation is the key. MacBarens Original Choice would be a good "starter" also.

9. Professor

Professor Active Member

Wow - that's impressive, Tyler. 10 minutes w/o relight! Congratulations - you are a natural born
    pipe-smoker! :appl:

What did you smoke before or which nicotine product did you use before? Frog Morton isn't that strong on the nicotine front. So either it's the latakia - or the tobacco itself. As to chest pains - that's not a good sign...
    You see - even if one doesn't inhale per se when smoking the pipe - you still enjoy the tobacco flavour with your tongue and nose. Meaning: A little bit of smoke get's inevitably into your lungs when you use your nose to enjoy the flavour - but it's very very little.

So it could be:

1. Your tongue, throat - and body in general has to get used to the new
    sensation of pipe smoking. (most likely)

2. Frog Morton is not for you - try another blend like CH.

3. You are a bit allergic to nicotine and/or Latakia and/or Frog Morton tobacco. (Not very likely)

What did you smoke before you smoked your first pipe?

10. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Thanks Professor!

And I've never smoked anything before ;]

I made sure to do as much research as I could on smoking/nicotine. And it seems most of it gets through from secretion into the lining of the mouth as well as from what you describe.
    As far as the throat/chest, today I'm better. I had a bit of headache that's probably from smoking, but I had another bowl anyway, and after a jog I feel much better. I do think that I just needed to get used to pipe smoking, as you describe. Sorry for bothering you guys with it when all I probably need to do is give it a few days, but maybe posting will help another newbie like me?

But, most certainly, I still want to try a lighter or aromatic blend when I get a chance!

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

What they said! I'd also add Sir Walter Raleigh and Granger. These blends have been around since Moby Dick was a guppy, and they are excellent blends to both learn with and enjoy for many years down the road. They fill nicely, burn evenly and without much need for relights, they are not all nasty and goopy (well, maybe the Cap'n is), they won't foul your pipe, and you can push them really hard without getting bitten, Whereas I think that they're a little light for that final smoke of the day,I think they make great daily smokes. They are also great in the early morning with a good mug of black coffee.

Speaking of which, I think it's time for some Carter Hall...

12. Professor

Professor Active Member

OK - Then there we have it! Lining of the mouth, tongue -
    actually your whole body has to get used to the nicotine and
    the other components/constituens of pipe tobacco smoke.

Take it easy and in a couple of weeks - those symptoms
    that you described will be gone! :)

13. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Yea!

I was thinking about Sir Walter Raleigh, especially since I found a 1.5 oz. I could buy at smokingpipes.com. (So far, I've been ordering all my products online... I don't know of any smoke shops nearby!) :/

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

That's the beauty of Sir Walter, Carter Hall, or Prince Albert - you don't need a nearby B&M. Odds are you can find one of them at your local grocery store.

Professor likes this.
  15. ThePipingKevin

ThePipingKevin Member

First of all Welcome to PSF and the Mantastic art of Pipe smoking. :toast: Good to see the young like have brains lol. Anyway as professor said 10 mins without a relight is impressive. but perhaps you were smoking too fast? I did that and the finish on the bowl would start to literally bubble off. So do not worry about keeping it lit. In fact i enjoy relighting because i feel i get more flavor but that might be just me. As for your problems, it more than likely has been stated above. Try aromatics (but do not completely negate english) i tend to stick to either local Tobacconist blends and well known retailers. such as http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes1.html or watch youtube for hidden gems. there is quite a community on youtube so you will have no problem researching this. This may sound like i am blabbing on about how you should do this. but remember. its YOUR pipe and YOUR tastes. you are the one who will knows what is the best for you. :sh:

Professor likes this.
  16. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Thanks Kevin!
    Well, I started off with the philosophy: if I can tamp it without burning my finger, then I'm smoking slow enough to get the most out of the bowl. hah, I'm not sure if that's true or makes any sense at all, but I managed to do it for a while and keep it burning (haven't managed since in 2 more tries though ;] )
    And no you're certainly not babbling, I'll be checking out youtube a bit more, for sure! and that retailer.

...but yea :/ I have a few canker sores from my first time smoking. It seems rare, but it happens to some. ' Much as I absolutely hate to do it, I'll try and wait a few days without a smoke... gargle some salt water until I can get back to it!

Professor likes this.
  17. ThePipingKevin

ThePipingKevin Member

You dont have a tamper? or you just that resistant? ;) well youll get the hang of it trust you must. its so easy literally a slug could do it lol. if you want here is some great youtubers i watch.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SmokeRingsPipeDreams The best one in my opinion. funny, clever and down to earth.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/StogieFarts Cool guys and another must watch.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dubinthedam Does not upload much but still is awesome.

Thats all im gonna give ya. trust me these guys will take up some time and a joy for me is discovering other whom i like.

Smart. your smoke may be ruined by angry sores attacking your fun glands. in the meantime ill smoke a little for for ya. :sh:

Professor likes this.
  18. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

haha, I always have a tamper... there's always a twig nearby ;]

Thanks man! I'll check 'em out.

haha, do that for me ;]

19. ThePipingKevin

ThePipingKevin Member

Enjoy and again wilkommen! :sh:

20. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Nice, it sounds like your first smoke was a success. I commend you for starting out with FM. Many pipe smokers (including myself) start off with aromatics, why, because they smell great. But as many of us will agree, non-aromatic blends are the ones that are made for taste, not for room note.

I think Professor is likely correct in that your body needs to adjust to pipe smoking. When I went back to smoking after a long hiatus I got the dry itchy throat for about a week. In a way you are breaking in your body not just your pipe. Also you might have just been puffing too fast. I'm not sure how large the bowl is on your pipe but 20 minutes for a smoke is rather short for a medium or large sized bowl.

Welcome to PSF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.