My first tobacco order, this is what I got...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Captain Eight, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

G'day all,

I'm a (relatively) experienced cigar smoker, just stepping out into the world of pipes. I got a new pipe a few days ago and a pouch of W.O.Larsen "Simply Unique", which I don't mind, but I find it way too sweet and musty. So for now, I strongly prefer cigars over pipes; but I don't mind the pipe, it's an interesting novelty and I want to experiment and gain a bit more experience.

I just put in an order for these, which I basically guessed-at by reading their descriptions. I wanted to order a bit of a variety to expose myself to the pipe world quickly.

Brebbia Classic English Mixture #70 50g (so I know what a "standard" English mix is like)
    Captain Earle's Ten Russians 2oz (says its heavy on the latakia)
    Wessex Brigade Balkan Supreme 50g (so I know what a "Balkan" mix is like...)
    Robert Lewis 123 Mixture 50g (uses Habanos tobacco or something. Supposed to taste like Cuban cigars although I find that very unlikely. Was just curious)
    Cornell & Diehl Mississippi Mud 2oz (just sounded interesting)
    Presbyterian 50g (just sounded interesting - bit of history?)
    Villiger 1888 Late Night 50g (flavoured with whiskey and honey - so I have at-least 1 full-on aromatic/flavoured to compare)

What do you guys reckon? :)

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Not everyone loves Presyterian but I have never found anyone who dislikes it. It is the stuff that converted me to English blends. It's very likely it will become one of your favourites.

3. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Overall, that's a heavyweight selection of tobacco. But if you already know that you're fond of Latakia and its campfire aroma, you'll enjoy it. I find a lot of cigar smokers tend to prefer less heavily treated tobaccos, like straight Virginias, Virginia-Perique blends, or straight Burleys. But I also reckon there's no common agreement on where to begin. The odds are that you'll be placing another order soon.

But your second purchase should be made at the local hardware store: a couple 12-packs of jars to store all the tobacco from all those tins you'll be opening. :)

BradNTX likes this.
  4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Of those, the only one I smoke is Presbyterian Mixture. I like it quite a bit. It is another classic English style tobacco. To me it has a very earthy, almost barnyard smell in the tin. It has less latakia than many Englishes to my taste.

One thing to remember is that one heavy latakia mixture can vary quite a bit from another. Similarly, there is not more than a general agreement about what a Balkan mixture should be like. The terms don't have rigid meanings, so one maker's toby of one style could be different from another's. "English" means lots of different things especially.

I am sure you will find something to like. Enjoy the journey.

5. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

I know exactly what you mean and I love that flavour! If you were going to be a bit less sophisticated you could almost say it's cow-**** flavour - just in a "nice way" ;) Of course that doesn't mean it tastes like **** - it's just a hint of farm smell. I detect that note a lot in shiraz wines from my home-region (Hunter Valley, NSW) and it really makes me feel like I'm home. Looking forwards to trying it more now!

I really have no idea at all what I like and what I don't like. I didn't mean to buy a heavyweight selection, I just read the descriptions and bought what I liked the sound of. That may mean I'm partial to heavier tobaccos, and I suspect that is true as I found the sweetness in my W.O.Larsen "Simply Unique" blend to be a bit "too much" and a bit off-putting after a while - and according to the tobacconist, that one is very only very mildly sweet & aromatic compared to most others.

So can't I just keep the tobacco in the tins then? I have to transfer to jars or something?

6. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Mississippi Mud produces quite a volume of smoke for a pipe tobacco, and is very hard to get tongue bite with. I recommend this as a good transition smoke when it arrives.

You can keep them in tins in our Autumn weather for a few months. They will dry slowly, and you will get the chance to see what moisture level you prefer as it does this. Don't open them all at once unless you plan to be smoking a lot. 4-7 open tins is about right, if you want to smoke a new blend each day then do such. No more though, or you will forget about one and it will dry out.

Otherwise, go the jar route, or indeed use your cigar humidor as I do.

7. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

or indeed use your cigar humidor as I do.

- sounds like an easy fix! :)

8. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

The only potential danger of the humidor (and it's an issue with cigars, too, of course), is the issue of flavors blending. I sometimes run out of jars and long ago someone recommended to me that I put open tins inside a baggie and then inside a humidor. Something to ponder if flavor crossing is a concern.

9. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I just leave the tins in the humidor. No rust or other issues, but only the open tins are kept there. They don't last long enough once opened for rust to be an issue.

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I didn't see any Burley or straight Virginia in your line up, though it looks like you made some good choices. You might consider Solani Aged Burley Flake for a great try at a Burley. Also, Dan Tobacco's Hamborger Veermaster is a super tasty Virginia.

X 2 on the suggestion for the jars as well. You can use 4oz wide-mouth mason jars or the tall baby food jars to keep multiple open tins fresh for a longer period.

Welcome to PSF and happy smoking!
    Brad

11. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Damn ... I missed those two (Burley & Virginia). I just don't know enough about it yet. Thanks for the suggestions.

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Ten Russians is a pretty heavy hitter for a rookie, but I have faith that you can handle it. 123 Mixture actually is about the closest thing to smoking a cigar that I have tried in a pipe tobacco. My favorite of that type is another Hermit tobacco called Antique Pressed Cigar Leaf MM, but it's not sold through Cornell and Diehl, so I've only been able to get it direct from them at pipe shows. It showcases the sweetness of the Havana leaf more than 123 does. Good choices, though.

13. Waino

Waino Active Member

14. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the links too.

15. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Well I received this order (finally) today. Took me a bit to figure I need to get air under the lids to open the tins as brute force does not work.

They all smell nice. The Mississipi Mud one smells like a campfire. The 123 doesn't smell anything like a Cuban cigar (which is was advertised as tasting like). The brebbia English blend smelled surprisingly sweet.

Looking forwards to having a crack at them tonight.

16. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Good deal! Let us know what you think of them too.

17. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Tonight I tried (just teeny 1/5th-type bowls) the 1-2-3 Mix, then the Presbyterian, then the Mississippi Mud.

The 1-2-3 Mix does not taste like a Cuban cigar. I am smoking a Cuban cigar as I type. Definitely not the same.

The less-aromatic blends are certainly more to my tastes than the original W.O.Larsen "Simply Unique" that I got with my pipe (I found that almost sickly sweet). However, at this stage there is little doubt I'm a "cigar man". I'll keep going with the pipe just for experience (I'm actually in the process of creating a website about tasting stuff - tobacco, whisky, wine, etc.). Maybe I'll come to enjoy it a bit more with more time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.