1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My Humble Beginnings

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by akohtz, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akohtz

akohtz Member

Hey everybody,

I started off just buying the basics with a pipe in the pouch. It's already grown a tad I guess. Just thought that I'd share my humble beginnings as they look so far.

[attachment=1171:AndrewK_Pipe_beginnings.jpg]

- Andrew

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

That's a good start, Andrew. I hope you are enjoying it.

P.S. It won't be long before you need a bigger table.

3. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Nice start.
    Pipe is really nice!
    truth is... that's all you need for a while. It will grow however, resistance is futile.

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Good start amigo! Very nice looking pipe you chose for your "humble Beginnings"...what brand is it?

5. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Andrew,
    Get ready for attacks of PAD and TAD! I feel that your table is going to grow very quickly. Phil.

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

Sometimes I think I was happier when I had just three pipes! Yulp, three pipes and one tin of tobacco. Simpler.

Sadly it won't last..... :eek:hyeah:

Will

7. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

Looks like a nice pipe, good luck.

8. noflex

noflex Member

You are of with a good start, so now enjoy your next TAD and PAD :thumbsu:

9. akohtz

akohtz Member

Thanks. I am enjoying it very much.

The pipe is a Stanwell (sandblasted Nordic). It's still breaking in, but so far so good.

My funds may not allow me to acquire much more for time being. So I'm glad that my setup right now feels adequate. I have some plans and hopes for the future, but it'll take time getting there.

- Andrew

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

seriously nice start you've made - enjoy in good health for many years! I echo Will's thought- sometimes it's easier and more enjoyable when it's simple and there are not a lot of choices to be made.

I'm revisiting this as an experiment til Christmas - using one Falcon stem and three bowls only just to see how it goes,

Happy smoking all,

Gerry

11. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Intersting Gerry :hmm:!! I don't think I could do that as I genuinely enjoy all my pipes. Well that and I only own 2 falcon bows (1 heavily funked up with aros and the other is ghosted with Lat heavy blends). I'll be interested to see how this works for you.

12. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

The set up looks really nice ! it will grow fast though lol

13. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Nice start, that's all you need to enjoy this hobby. KISS principle....keep it simple stupid....like that's going to happen :whistle:

14. akohtz

akohtz Member

By and far, the real expense I had was on the pipe. Everything else I either already had or I got them for just a few dollars. I decided though, that if I'm going to do this, I wanted a nice pipe.

In most of my hobbies I usually manage to avoid crazy levels of acquisitions. I do feel some twinges to pick up a few more pipes to round out my collection with some pipes that are different in some ways. Eventually I need a pipe I can take camping with me, one with a smaller bowl that travels better, and so on.

Other than a few more pipes to meet those needs, I'm not looking for much more. I live and work really close to tobacconist shops, so I can always pick up a few ounces at a time to fill my tiny (10 oz) emma jars when I run out. I'm just enjoying a smoke in the evenings so I don't go through it all that fast anyway.

So, yeah, I'm in no position to really get too much more complex with my setup in any hurry. I'm liking what I have right now.

Thanks for the feedback.

- Andrew

15. Jay

Jay Active Member

Oh, you may be fooling yourself with the simple set up but not me man, you are definitely going to need a bigger table to horde all your finds in the pipe world.

But really, nice start.

J

16. akohtz

akohtz Member

:lol:

Okay ... I guess you more experienced smokers can see the signs of the addition more clearly than I can.

My wallet may be what keeps me from going too crazy though.

- Andrew

17. Jay

Jay Active Member

Beg, Borrow, Steal. you know the drill

18. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Or you can sell yourself like Yinyang does.

19. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Ouch! I'd say my feelings are hurt, but I sold them off for a bowl of Mixture 79. Next on the auction block, my first born...(I'm gunnin' for a chinese cob, so wish me luck!)

AndrewK-

Rare is the pipe smoker that doesn't, uh, 'cave' to TAD and PAD. Finances are only a minor hurdle. Give it time...(I'm a bit jealous of your set-up. I have way too much tobacco open ATM. It's a vicious, tasty, cycle.)

20. greasemunki85

greasemunki85 Member

Nice setup you got there.
    I deffinitly prefer quality over quantity.
    The stanwell looks nice, and rather have 1 or 2 stanwells vs 5 or 6 offbrand pipes.
    Cheers and hope you have a good time diving off into the world of Pipe smoking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.