1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My Humble Beginnings

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by akohtz, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I'll be the first to admit I have TAD and PAD, but except for occasional bursts they are more states of mind. I've got my whole life to try every flavor and twist of perfect carving. After a little over three years I have six pipes. Three of them are cobs with Forever stems. One is a basket briar, one a house brand briar and one a Pete. I have no tobacco cellar to speak of, just some dribs and drabs from leftover tins that are in a bigger cannister now. I find something I like and I stick with it until it's time for me to try something else. I'm not adventurous.

Take your time. You are going to read about a lot of things and salivate at the thought. If you can master what you already have, it will make enjoying what comes next easier and better. That's what I've found. I've gotten caught up in both PAD (a bit) and TAD (a bit more). I find just letting my tastes and technique evolve naturally rather than forcing it, works best. To each his own, though.

Nice set up. So far so good.

Best wishes,
    WK

2. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I have a pipe rack with only 3 spots. It helps hinder PAD, as other than my two briars and one meer, I have a few cobs.

PAD settled, I exploited my own need for neatness.

3. akohtz

akohtz Member

When I took the first image of my pipe beginnings a few of you asked about the pipe. It's a sandblasted Stanwell Nordic 253. I finally got around to taking a picture of just the pipe and I thought that I'd share it.

[​IMG]

It's still the only briar pipe I own, but I enjoy it. Thanks for looking.

- Andrew

4. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Dude. Two words: estate pipes
    Garage sales, yard sales, estate sales, flea markets, swap-meets, that neighborhood where everybody puts stuff out on blankets... Just don't buy any corn-cobs with screens in the bottom. Must pass the "sniff-test" because you don't want somebody else's felonies or misdemeanors.

Most of my pipes were "experienced" when I got them. Some look pretty bad, but not a bad smoker in my bunch. Then again, I have spent several hundred on Butz Choquins lately 'cause I like their fat, extravagant looks. Its all about the conspicuous consumption.

5. akohtz

akohtz Member

Here is an update ...

I suppose you all were right. My collection has had some small growth over the last few months.

I added a few more pipes so my rotation was bigger. When I had only one, I smoked it too much and it started tasting 'off.' It's since been freshened back up and now has more siblings to share the load with. My selections of tobacco has grown some too. I've been sampling a lot of different blends and picking out just the ones that have a 'wow' factor for me.

[​IMG]

- Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.