1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

My last bowl of Nightcap, for a while (plus a little review/my experience)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ichabod, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichabod

ichabod Member

This is the last bit I've got. It's been great and I really enjoy it. It was different at first, unlike anything I had smoked and I wasn't sure I liked it at first being used to carter hall and a couple aromatics. So, keep in mind that this is coming from someone who only really has experience with carter hall mainly.

I can say that it is strong, definite nicotine kick. Not so strong that I got a buzz, not like smoking a marlboro red after not smoking a cigarette for a week for example...but a good bit, enough to really relax you. Very pleasant. Coming off of cigarettes I am used to inhaling and find myself doing it on occasion, with nightcap I made a conscience effort not to inhale.

Plenty of aromas that I was unfamiliar with but found them very pleasant. My wife, who really loves the aromatics really enjoyed the scent also. I believe this is a mixture of virginia, latakia and perique. My first tobacco with latakia and perique, let alone both together. The tastes are a lot stronger also, much stronger than carter hall. They took a while to get used to but they are also very pleasant. I did, upon my very first taste I swear I tasted...soap. It faded the more I smoked that was just a bit of a shock. I can't really say which of the tobaccos was strongest since I am not familiar enough with them to be able to tell which one(s) I was tasting.

It's hard for me to accurately describe what I tasted seeing as how inexperienced I am with tobaccos in general. I can only say that the tastes took a while to get used to but after maybe the third bowl I began to acquire the taste for it. There is a slight sweetness that I can't put my finger on...just, it seemed like a really nice, smooth, harmonious aroma and taste, a bit creamy at times.

I also discovered that my method for smoking needed to be changed as well. When I smoke carter hall, I smoke pretty quick. Not super fast but fairly quick. Nightcap, for me, should not be smoked this way. It seems meant to be slowly and calmly smoked.

Now having sat here and typed this up while laying in bed I can say that I am drowsy. I feel relaxed, calm and mellow.

To many this "review" may not mean a lot, so I guess this is targeted really to the beginner pipe smoker who may be interested in trying nightcap. I haven't been smoking pipes all that long and can speak as a beginner myself, this is definitely worth a try. I will be purchasing it again. I will not use this as an all day smoke. I can see why they call it nightcap. You can think of this as an evening treat, or as the name perfectly suggests...a nightcap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Cheers, Ichabod! It's quite rare that someone jumps straight from Carter Hall to Nightcap. In this sense, your review means a lot because many people think you have to spend several years as a pipe smoker before you can truly appreciate a full flavored blend like Nightcap. You offer proof that that isn't the case.

For the first years of my pipe smoking life, I smoked bulk aromatics, rather sparingly at that, because I quickly grew tired of each successive blend, and they bit my tongue viciously. Once I tried full flavored, more natural tasting tobacco (English blends, at first, but I eventually grew fond of many styles), I realized that there was something I had been missing throughout those early years, and I only wished I had discovered it sooner. While tastes do mature and change with age and experience, there's nothing that says you can't try a particular tobacco before you have a certain amount of experience, nor is there much likelihood that one would be turned off to pipe smoking if they tried "the good stuff" before they were ready. I had been looking for it long before I found it.

Obviously, there's quite a large range of tobaccos out there, and you are sure to find others that you will enjoy. Nothing wrong with Carter Hall, by the way; many seasoned pipe smokers keep it in their rotation, and a good Burley is something I enjoy as well, but you are on the right path. Keep trying new things and don't be afraid that you aren't "ready" for something.

3. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks for the good review Ichabod! I have been looking at some of this? My DEMP is getting very low. This may just be my next buy> I enjoyed reading your post, Beale.

4. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

great review. thanks for your thoughts!

nightcap is on my to-buy list. it tends to sell out quickly and hasn't been available when i'm ready to purchase. i'll keep my eyes open for it for sure.

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

My local JR's has it on hand? If ya want I can pick ya up a tin and send it to ya? No shipping charge, just the price of the tin? Beale.

6. ichabod

ichabod Member

For some reason I had that thought in the back of my mind...maybe I'm not ready for this? maybe I need to get accustomed to certain things first? Then I thought, what's really holding me back from trying the things that people really like? The answer seemed to be simply that I just don't have them. I have read so many times from people about certain tobaccos that they wish they had tried them sooner...so why wait? So, when my first TAD order was placed I selected a variety of things, each one different just to see...and if I didn't like any they were all something that people seemed to like so I figured I could just put them up in the trade section and someone would take them.

I know my tastes aren't mature yet, I know I can't tell specific amounts of this or that, but I can appreciate a good tobacco and like it. With wines, there are the "wine snobs" who will look down on someone who is an amateur wine drinker and dives in to something super nice, as if someone with less experience can not appreciate it fully and they are just wasting in basically. I don't get that vibe here. In fact I get the complete opposite. The first pipe specific shop I went into was in Houston and the people there were very helpful and seemed genuinely excited to recruit a new member to the lifestyle. They had plenty of advice. They did, however, tell me that I might want to stay away from stronger tobaccos at first as it might turn me off, but if I wanted to give them a go then have at it! It may be true that in years to come I will be able to appreciate this particular tobacco more than I do now. But I wanted to try it now. I am glad I did. I was/am getting tired of the aromatics. They are great, don't get me wrong, there are particular ones that I love, they have their place and all but they are not something that I...I don't know how to explain it. I guess I feel ready to move in a different direction. Not to mean that I will not smoke aromatics anymore at all, I will continue to do so.

I just thought I would write down my personal experience in hopes that someone else who is fairly new at this can see what I experienced and it might help them to decide if they want to try this or not because it is very different from the aromatics and carter hall. So, to those newer guys, I would recommend it...if you are like me and only have experience like mine then just be warned, it is different, but not in a bad way at all.

Kiowapipe and HCraven like this.
  7. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Great review/experience :) Being a fairly new pipe smoker myself and having started off with aromatics i've been a bit sceptical, or perhaps intimidated by some of the reviews i read. After trying Sir Williams english classic and loving that, i manned up and ordered a tin of nightcap though. Your review here only adds to the anticipation ;) Now, if only customs could get moving and ship it on to me, it's been there for 2 weeks now, i would be a happy man.

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

Outstanding posts ichabod, you're well on your way as a newbie pipe smoker, enjoy the journey! And there is a difference between strong tobaccos and strong well-blended and balanced tobaccos. Dunhill tobaccos are well-blended and balanced tocaccos as you have discovered.

9. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

great stuff friend, me as a new new pipe smoker of only umm 3 weeks now I think. Realy apprciates articals like this people write. good stuff

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Well, I don't know if your tastes are mature, but you are. If you can't tell specific amounts of this or that, number one, you will learn in time what different component tobaccos taste like, which is just gained by experience with a variety of blends, and number two, I don't think most people could honestly say one way or another with any certainty (myself included). I have read lots of tobacco reviews online where someone tries to act like an authority on such things when it's clear that they have no idea what they're talking about. That's just wrong. Better to admit your limited knowledge and try to learn from others than to be some know-it-all blowhard. You, sir, are not of that ilk. I appreciate your honest and thoughtful review and look forward to your future posts.

11. ichabod

ichabod Member

Why, thank you! But don't let me fool you...I am 31, look like I'm 20 and act like I'm 15...most of the time...sometimes 5. Then again my wife will tell me that I act like an old man; the way I dress at times, speak, see things...I dunno, guess I'm just really odd.

I know more knowledge will come with experience, and the only way to get that is to just keep going. I have no intentions of stopping, I'm having too much fun with this and really wish I had started this obsession long ago.

I've also read a ton of reviews and, again, sometimes I really can't help but be reminded of wine reviews, or especially art reviews/critiques etc since I am an art student and am around that all the time...it's just all to similar to me at times. Sometimes you just want to roll your eyes and say, "really?" It just seems a bit pretentious at times, not always but at times. You just have to take it all with a grain of salt really. I feel that way about film reviews...well, reviews over anything, it's ultimately someones opinion and not everyone has the same. There's just a difference between sharing your knowledge and sort of talking down to those that you feel are under you. That's what really gets to me. And that's why I really like this place. Nobody has that "better than you" attitude, or seem to act as though they know more than you and therefore have the right to sort of talk down to anyone here. Everyone is treated with great respect, even the beginners, it is a very welcoming place to be to someone coming into this hobby that can at times be pretty intimidating honestly...which can turn people away pretty quickly.

Anyway, I guess I am saying thank you for the compliment and that I agree with and like the way you think!

Whalehead King and HCraven like this.
  12. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Smoking a pipe shouldn't be intimidating. Once you master packing and lighting and puffing, it's easy street! Seriously though, it isn't rocket science or brain surgery. Buy a pricier, name brand tobacco once in a while and give it a go. There is a reason some are more expensive and a reason some have good reputations. Neither of those matter to the individual smoker. We all smoke what we like, and we smoke it the way we like to.

Nice review. I'm just about done with a tin of Early Morning Pipe and I'd like to try Nightcap to compare. You've tilted me more in that direction.

Cheers,
    WK

13. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Great write up ichabod! I myself am still a newbie, started abouta year ago but I don't smoke much at all, still trying to kick the cigs too. .. I've never had nightcap or any Dunhill.. thanks for the review frm a newbie perspective.. although now you've made my wish list grow ... I'll just tell the wife ichabod said to get it ;)

Cheers and may your bowls always be full!

14. ryan65

ryan65 Member

just cracked open my tin i got from iwan reis last year after a 4 month waiting list full of delays, and i can safely say it was well worth the wait! it has a nice creamy slightly sweet taste, with a hint of mushrooms, just as i remembered. the aroma is pungent, I keep stopping in the middle of typing just to get a whiff of it lol I'm so glad Orlik didn't screw up the recipe! this brings back memories of my very first "real" pipe- a savinelli roma 804 billiard accompanying my first ever tin of nightcap (murrays edition) the bowl lasted well over 2 hours but man it was absolutely delicious. well I'm a happy camper and I praise Orlik for finally bringing it back. anyways, I shall finish my bowl of heavenly bliss and plan on buying alot more to cellar :puffy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.