1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

My latest purchases, pipe & tobby

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Captain Eight, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Coming from the USA, so it will probably take a week or two.

If anyone has experience with these tobbys, let me know what your thoughts were. Looking forwards to firing that big funny looking pipe up (just not in public).

Rusticated Bent Dublin Churchwarden Fishtail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    C & D Kajun Kake ... never tried or read anything about it. I got it for a few reasons. Firstly, I really liked Mississippi Mud, and this looks like it's the same "line" or something. I guess it's just a similar package from the same maker. Secondly, I like crumble cakes. In my experience, for some reason they burn cooler and easier. Thirdly, I usually go for strong Latakia blends, so this provides a bit of variety. The write up says, "A crumble cake of Red Virginia cavendish with a little Perique".

[​IMG]
    Captain Earl's "Honor Blend". I got this one for similar reasons as the above. I like crumble cakes, I'm a big fan of the two other Captain Earl's tobaccos I have tried ("Ten Russians", and "Nightwatch"), but they are both heavy Latakia blends and I wanted to try a Captain Earl's blend that wasn't Latakia. The write up for this one says, "This is an all natural stoved blend of red Virginia, mild Cavendish, Turkish and Perique tobaccos pressed in an old-fashioned Crumble Cake. Honor Blend is specially formulated for the discriminating lovers of fine Virginia based tobaccos.".

[​IMG]
    Captain Earl's "Stimulus Package". Again, big fan and couldn't put in an order without buying at least one proper Latakia blend! "Captain Earl's Stimulus Package is a true delight for lovers of Latakia. Rich and full bodied, Stimulus Package is pressed to deliver a perfectly balanced blend to the true aficionado of full English tobaccos.".

2. Iain

Iain Active Member

Don't know anything 'bout the baccy but those Pete Dublin Churchwardens are nice, mine smoked great straight out the box.

Captain Eight likes this.
  3. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

The Honor Blend is a little more Perique forward than the description would have you believe, but it is a great blend!

Cousin Ivan and Captain Eight like this.
  4. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Sounds great.

5. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

That's a great looking churchwarden there captain.

6. Bent

Bent Member

Kajun Kake is quite good, and packs a nice nicotine punch.
    Strong tobacco flavor, reminds me of a rope but much milder, still a bold smoke. I get hints of leather from this stuff too.

7. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I thought the Kajun Kake was good but was a bit too spicy for me, if you like spicy you should love it and would probably like PSF's Kickin' Chicken too.

8. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

a churchwarden is next on my list.

Good lookin' pipe!

9. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

All this stuff was waiting for me in the office when I arrived this morning. I opened the tins and gave them the "sniff test" and played around with the pipe a bit. I feel a bit like Gandalf the Wizard from Lord of the Rings with this pipe in my mouth. It's so long and slender. Comparing the pipe to the pictures posted, it really looks longer in real life, by at-least a couple of inches. I wonder if they "squashed" the stem section for the photograph or something... Anyway, it feels very relaxing in the hand and in the mouth.

The walls of the bowl are quite thin. I'm wondering if this bowl is going to heat up very easily. But I do like the look of the pipe. I'm sure the unique shape of both the bowl and the stem will give it some unique smoking characteristics. Now I'm just going to have to break her in ... which will take some weeks, as I'm fast getting a collection of several pipes going.

Cousin Ivan likes this.
  10. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

... well, that bowl certainly gets hot easily, as I expected.

I also discovered that - just in case there was any doubt -I'm definitely a Latakia man. The VAs were okay, but a bit meh. Just doesn't do it for me. Tastes too bland.

Cousin Ivan likes this.
  11. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Stimulus Package is good eats.

Billy Ockham and Monkey like this.
  12. beercritic

beercritic Member

Stimulus Package & Ten Russians. I'm going to cellar a bunch. Bought several pounds of Lakatia, and some Oriental & Perique to repair some tobaccos.

13. Wyldcard

Wyldcard Active Member

The blends all are :th1: as for the pipe can't help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.