My latest tobacco - Peterson 3P's Perfect Plug. Suggestions for next stop?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by remington, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. remington

remington Member

Went to my local tobacco shop and did the old "eenie meenie miny" over Peterson Irish Flake and 3P's. Ended up spending my $10 on the 3P's. I did notice they refilled their stock of Dunhill tins as well - the tobacco gods smile upon me...

Anyway, my recent pipe tobacco journey has taken me through the following progression of tobaccos in order of first to now:

Sutliff Molto Dolce - Really liked at the time, still do, but left me wanting more flavor/body.
    Sutliff St. George's - Only one bowl, it was ok but will try again in my favorite aro Falcon bowl. Not a priority right now.
    Sutliff Taste of Summer - Probably my favorite of the aros. I was surprised to discover this, but it is tasty and an excellent change of pace.
    Lane 1Q - Decent, nice dry smoke, good "break-in" tobacco. Burns really well. I smoke this when I don't want to fuss throughout the smoke. It's very predictable in a good way.
    Dunhill Flake - Had one amazing bowl right out of tin, have been driving myself nuts trying to find the right amount of drying time, and packing method to get that first taste back again. Jury's still out.
    Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake - Didn't know there was latakia in it as it balances the sweetness nicely. I enjoyed it but don't think I'd buy it again at this time.
    Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake - Dried out, as good as Dunhill Flake, but if this is all straight virginias have to offer, I'm still searching for my A+ tobacco. It's very good, enjoyable, but I think I'm looking for fuller flavor.

Enter,

Dunhill Night Cap - Flavors much more bold and full. I really like this but miss the sweetness in the straight virginia's. They are there, but I'm not completely satisfied yet. I could tell that I'm getting closer to "my-tobacco" after smoking a handful of bowls with this. The nic hit was minimal IMO, pleasant.

Which brings me now to:

Peterson 3P's Perfect Plug - I popped open the tin, cut a few small flakes from the plug, folded and stuffed it into my standard size Falcon briar bowl. Right away I could tell this had nice full flavor right up front but I had many relights as perhaps I should have expected since it was right out of the tin. I popped the bowl off my stem twice to wipe out the humidome. After that the bowl started burning really nicely and I didn't have moisture issues after that. I'm pretty bad at describing tobacco flavors outside of "good/bad, enjoyed or not". I enjoyed the taste of the tobacco and I think the best way to describe the flavor is straight up tobacco flavor. It was good but to me, I want the sweet virginia flavor to be more pronounced. The experience was enjoyable and this is the first smoke I've had where I really noticed the Nic-hit. I didn't reach nauseousness, but got really relaxed, really quick halfway through the bowl. I was puttering around my garage thinking about how my tabletop drill press could be the perfect buffer since I can change the rpm's with the belts. When I sat down, I felt like I was melting into the chair. Um, wow. This tobacco to me is more Night-Cappish to me than actual NC.

So PSF community, where would you suggest I head next? I know, I know - you just have to keep searching until you find the "one". I will continue to search, but I'd like not to have to spend a bunch of cash on tobacco that I will not be consuming. Many of you have found your "one" tobacco or you have defined tastes. If you can relate to my journey, can you offer me some informed suggestions?

I know I like the full bodied/flavored tobaccos compared to aros. I know I like the Virginia sweetness. I didn't mind the Latakia in NC (and Chocolate Flake). I think I should head into Burley's and also Perique's. Any thoughts?

Oldetymebully and Old Codger like this.
  2. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Might want to venture in to the land of lightly cased va/burs. I would suggest Erinmore flake or Gawith Hogarth BB#2 or should you be able to find it Stonehaven. BB#2 and Erinmore have a perfect medium amount of Nicotine with nice flavor. The other obvious choice is VaPers of which Escudo stands out as the obvious candidate. If you are thinking about trying another Latakia Blend I would suggest a Frog Morton (on the town and cellar are my favorites).

remington likes this.
  3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

If you like sweet/aro/lat, try Sillems Black Label. It seems as though it would be a weird combo but, somehow, Sillems makes it work.

4. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

I am going to have to recommend Peter Stokkebyes Luxury Navy Flake. It is a really good VaPer. It took me a few bowls before I got it right, but once I did I had the best smoke of my life. Ps that right way for me was folded and stuffed in a medium sized billiard.

remington likes this.
  5. remington

remington Member

Thanks. So far:

Va/Burs:

Erinmore Flake
    Gawith Hoggarth Best Brown #2

Va/Pers:

A.C. Petersen Escudo*
    Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

*Both Petersen and Stokkebye came up as manufacturers of Escudo.

Va/Lat:

McClelland Frog Morton

Other:

Sillem's Black: Burley, Black Cav., Va, Latakia​

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

GH - Bosun Cut Plug

I picked up a few ounces of this the other day while buying other GH bulk locally and all I can say is WOW. If I had read the description I would have never tried it but I'm heading back over the weekend to stock up.

7. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

If you like the sweetness of virginias but you want a little something more I'd say it is time to start trying some vapers. They are not all alike and they run a wide gamut of flavor profiles. You might enjoy some of the sweeter ones like maybe H&H Anni Kake. Also if you want 'more' give GL Pease's Haddo's Delight a try. You'll find plenty of flavor there. It has a little rum type topping and a good shot of perique. GL Pease Telegraph Hill is pretty fine too. Then there is McClelland's St. James Woods.

Of course virginias run a wide gamut too. Just because you don't like one or two doesn't mean there are not some out there you won't like. Try some McClellands, maybe like Blackwoods Flake. With virginias technique comes into play in a big way. It may take time before you get all you can out of them. Or you may end up like me and appreciate a good virginia but think just about every one could be improved with some perique.

Another route to try is some blends with more dark fired leaf in them. Look through the Gawith and Hoggarth lineup. Also GL Pease Triple Play or Jacknife Plug. Irish Flake is another. MacBaren Old Dark Fired is another worth buying. They will have a earthier flavor and plenty of backbone.

Then there are the VaBurs as already mentioned.

If you want to try a good burley get some Solani Aged Burley Flake. GL Pease's Barbary Coast is another I enjoy. C&D has a number of good burley blends too.

dmkerr likes this.
  8. Jfro

Jfro Member

Hey neighbor - what shop did you go to?

9. remington

remington Member

Where else! Smokin Joes

10. Jfro

Jfro Member

Not to threadjack but I am having a mind blank out - they just have Peterson and Dunhill? I bought Dunhill there before.

11. remington

remington Member

Ok guys, thanks again. I think I'm going to head down the Va/Pers road. This helped structure my next pipe tobacco purchases immensely, thanks.

Va/Burs:

Erinmore Flake
    Gawith Hoggarth Best Brown #2
    Solani Aged Burley Flake:
    A bold blend of dark fired burleys with a little light virginia for balance.

Va/Pers:

A.C. Petersen Escudo*:
    A combination of full bodied Virginia from North Carolina and Virginia blended with Perique from Louisiana
    Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake*:
    Very mature Old Belt flue-cured Virginia's spiced with Louisiana Perique.
    G.L. Pease Telegraph: A Sturdy foundation of Viginia Tobaccos, each chosen for it's particular character, is enhanced with fine flakes of perique
    McClelland St. James Woods:
    A highly sophisticated broken Flake of matured Red and Black stoved Virginias pressed with the finest Louisianna Perique.

*Both Petersen and Stokkebye came up as manufacturers of Escudo, what's up with that?

Va/Lat:

McClelland Frog Morton

Other:

G.L. Pease Triple Play: The second in the New World Series, Triple Play follows up on the phenomenal success of JackKnife. A blend of Red and bright Virginias with a bit of dark fired Burley and Perique is pressed then cut into old-fashioned plugs.
    Sillem's Black: Burley, Black Cav., Va, Latakia
    G.L. Pease Barbary Coast: The finest cube-cut Burley, chosen for its deep, nutty flavors, forms a robust foundation for this sophisticated blend. Rich, red Virginia tobaccos are added for their subtle sweetness and complexity, while the unique spice of Perique provides added dimension.
    MacBaren Old Dark Fired: A bold flake of dark-fired burley's in a well balanced unity with Flue-cured Virginias.
    G.L. Pease JackKnife Plug: dark-fired Kentucky leaf and ripe red Virginia tobaccos
    McClelland's Personal Reserve Blackwoods Flake:
    The characteristic, natural sweetness of Mellow, Red Virginias mingles inextricably with the richness and inherently spicy aroma of Black Stoved Virginias in this doubly aged Red and Black all-Virginia cake mixture.
    G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight:
    Haddo's Delight is a stout blend of several Virginia tobaccos with a generous measure of long-cut Perique. Unflavored Black Cavendish and a little air-cured White Burley ribbon provide fullness, body, and a bit of extra strength.

12. remington

remington Member

Both and there is a rack of another brand I can't remember sitting right behind the CAO tins. If you get there before me, remind me of what they are, thanks.

Jfro likes this.
  13. remington

remington Member

Just ordered, thanks again -

A.C. Petersen ESCUDO 50g
    ESC5 1 $9.75 $9.75
    Peter Stokkebye LUXURY BULLS EYE FLAKE
    Amount: 2oz. - $7.99 PSLBF 1 $7.99 $7.99
    Peter Stokkebye LUXURY NAVY FLAKE
    Amount: 2oz. - $6.99 PSLNF 1 $6.99 $6.99

Subtotal:
    $24.73
    Discounts:
    -$2.47
    Shipping & Handling:
    $6.75
    Tax:
    $0.00

14. remington

remington Member

The 3rd rack of tins are Ashton brand tins. So they stock Dunhill, Peterson and Ashton lines in their tinned offerings.

- Just had my first Escudo bowl last night. Interesting and hard to describe. Very Virginia like with almost a menthol (closest word I can come up with) refreshing "spice" to it? I can see drying and packing methods are going to be key here with this and the Bullseye flake coins. I'm going to reserve better/worse judgments until I give the Escudo and Stokkebye's a fair shake.

15. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

In terms of the VA flakes you have tried, I would recommend cube cutting them and then trying them in different pipes that are dedicated to Virginia's. If you are smoking a Virginia in a pipe that you had previously smoked Latakia you will not be able to get the full array of flavors. Also the size and shape of the pipe can make a huge difference. I have found that group 4-5 Dublins, Apples, Billiards and Lovats work very well with flakes. SG Full Virginia is a very finicky flake in my experience and I have found that a group 4 Dublin works best for me.

16. remington

remington Member

Thanks. I'm new to sizes being categorized as group #s. Is this a standardized label system for pipe sizes?

Jfro likes this.
  17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

Group sizes are a Dunhill measurement system that has been used for a very long time to describe the size of the pipe bowl. They are an approximation as you can have a small group 5 or a large group 5 but it is a pretty good guide. For example a standard group 5 sized pipe will have the following dimensions. Bowl height 1.9 inches high, inside bowl width of .80 inches, inside bowl depth of 1.7 inches. I use the group size numbers as a guide when buying pipes, but it is not an exact science. One dealer might say my above measurements are a large group 4, or even a large 5, everyone looks at this with their own eye but it is still a good tool. The sizes go from 1-6 on the Dunhill chart and then they use ODA for bigger than size 6 and they also have their Magnum designation.

18. remington

remington Member

Not having much time right now to look it up, do you have a link(s) to the Dunhill chart by any chance? Thanks for the info.

19. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Just go nuts and try an OTC :eek: ..lol... For a few bucks , give Carter Hall or Half and Half a shot ... any of them , really . Toss some SWR in a cob .. it's very nice

20. remington

remington Member

I will def. try anything once, comment noted, tks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.