1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

My London pipe purchase

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Thaisamurai, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

Today, while on my business trip here in London, I went out to look for a corn cob pipe to add to my collection.

Instead, I ended up with this:

[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

What do you guys think? ;)

This was bought from G. Smith & Sons, a tobacco and cigar shop located on 74 Charing Cross Road, London, UK.

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Very, very pretty! Did you pick me up any Cafe Royale snuff while you were there? Can't get it here any more.

Seriously, though, that's a mighty fine meerschaum, and my hat is off to you. (And next time you're going to G. Smith, let's talk first, okay?) :)

Enjoy the pipe, and please let us know how it treats you!

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

A nice pipe - enjoy in good health for many years!

"Just went in to buy a corncob," where have I heard that tale before? It's on a par with "Oh a Pipe Shop Dear, I'll just pop in for a quick look and meet you outside that clothes shop in say 10 minutes?"

Happy smoking

Gerry

P.S. Have noted the address where you bought it, so that I can feign surprise when I just "happen upon" it when next we are in London!

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's a very nice looking meer indeed, Thaisamurai. You'll look very dapper smoking it and the lattice design is bound to get compliments. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come!

That street name Charing Cross Road is one I've heard before but I can't seem to remember why it's noteworthy...

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

There might just have been a bookshop there Bri that's why it's in your mind! That'll be my excuse for suggesting we visit there when Rho and I are next down.....

Best to all

Gerry

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Lovely choice! You will surely have fun as the color gradually develops on that one. the lattice colors at a different pace from the rest of the pipe!

Plus you don't have to be worried about smoking different genres in there. :bing:

7. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Nice pipe, any weeds to go along with it?

8. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Hey Bri, here's an interesting history for Charing Cross Road:

Charing Cross Road

Near the bottom of the article, it mentions that in the Harry Potter books, there's a pub located on Charing Cross. And Gerry, of course, is right, it has a long and storied (pun intended) history when it comes to bookstores. :thumbsu:

9. freestoke

freestoke Member

Great looking pipe! :thumb:

:roflmao:

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Thank you! It was the film 84 Charing Cross Road I was thinking of.

11. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

I picked up a JJ Fox Dorisco Mixture and Erinmore Balkan Mixture at a different store while I was hunting for pipes. Really looking forward to trying them out!

The pipes carried by G.Smith & Sons mainly consist of some cheaper no-name briars (about 15GBP each), Parkers, store brand, and Northern Briar.

12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Erinmore Balkan Mixture... another good choice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.