1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My meer cutty pipe arrived! (Pics) Help me date it?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by OrganizdMadman, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

My meerschaum cutty pipe arrived yesterday:
    [​IMG]
    Nice leather case with alligator pattern, clasp works wonderfully:
    [​IMG]
    It was owned by a Mr. E. A. Daus:
    [​IMG]
    Says finest quality "meer schaum"
    [​IMG]
    I was hoping for an amber stem, but it appears to be acrylic. It screws in securely but not flush, I wonder if could add a small leather spacer?
    [​IMG]
    The screw insert is some sort of plastic, bakelite perhaps?
    [​IMG]
    Mr. Daus built up lots of (uneven) cake inside, not sure how to go about cleaning and restoring a meer, but any advice you guys can give would much appreciated! :D
    [​IMG]

IrishRover, Raffxr7 and PipeWife like this.
  2. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

Light sandpaper for the inside works great on my meers and a leather spacer would look awesome just make it a little thicker than you need for compression.

OrganizdMadman likes this.
  3. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I'll let the experts advise you about the cleaning. I will however comment on what a great looking pipe that is. I hope it smokes great for you. I like the cutty style a lot, especially in meer's.

4. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Neat pipe! Enjoy cleaning it up and smoking it.

5. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

I thought about sandpaper but I'm afraid of rounding off the rim. Because its my first meer and its a shape I've been searching for forever I'm probably gonna send it off to Walker Briarworks to have the stem refitted and the bowl reamed.

6. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Use a damp cloth on the outside of the pipe, use a PC dipped in alcohol for the inside of the bowl. That seems to be the most agreed upon method to clean a meer... wrap some sandpaper around a finger and go around it lightly. I have a feeling the stem is not secured right, the two piece connector likely has backed out some. HOWEVER--if you screw with it, chances are it will crack the shank!! Do NOT over tighten a stem on a meer. I learned that lesson the hard way.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I dont know squat about Meers other than I sold some CAO . But I must sat that after you clean it up .... lets use know how awesome she smokes :)

8. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

That's a sweet looking meer!

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

As for the stem not coming flush, I have a couple of very old pipes with these bone connectors. It seems to me that the years of tightening and loosening has slowly drawn the connector out of the shank. With constant smoking, the stone becomes saturated and softens just a bit, allowing the connector to shift just slightly over time. One of mine had a home-made spacer on the connector, and yours might have at one time too. Floyd Norwood removed my connector and replaced it with a new bone connector.

The stem could well be a form of amberite used in the 40s and early 50s. This is an amber/binder composite, hence the swirl pattern. If it has a round hole instead of a funnel at the tip, this is probably the case.

You can remove the excess cake by GENTLY scraping it away with a sharp, round tipped knife until you get close, then switch to 220 grit sand paper wrapped around a small dowel...smaller than the bowl opening. Work slowly and carefully to remove all but a thin layer of cake.
    If you decide to send the pipe off to have the connector repaired (I would if that beauty were mine!) then just have your repair service trim the cake back for you. Better in the long run, than ruining a lovely meerschaum pipe.....

HTH

Raffxr7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.