1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My new 'bash

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puffer Pete, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillH

WillH Active Member

Ah yes, the joys of a gourd Calabash! Nice work indeed and sounds like they are rewarding you with their typically wonderful smoke. BTW, because they draw so easily it is possible to over heat the gourd - just the nature of the beast. Some of the bad taste could be due to extra heat causing some of the old establish tar deposits to off-gas and taint the smoke! Happens with most pipes anyhoo.....

Enjoy!

Will

2. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Will,
    No two ways about that one overheating. However, all dried out now and smoking just as well as ever.

As regards the second one, I only have one thing to say about it -DAMN!!!!!
    Merrily cleaning the gourd, some fool managed to knock the liner off the bench and it landed on the lip, shattering a fairly substantial section of said lip. Fortunately, not the entire lip though, so it still fitted the gourd well enough, it just didn't look very good any more. While I debated whether to buy a new liner (the pipe was cheap enough that even then it will only have cost what I see used 'bashes selling for - around £53) I wanted to find out if it was worth buying the replacement liner. Out came the craft knife and sandpaper and I tried my hand at a little meer carving. It may no longer look quite the same as it did originally, but it looks better than it did with a lump missing. It's wonderful stuff to work with, very easy to carve to the rough and ready shape I wanted.
    As to how it smokes, I'm still undecided on that point. Although a larger 'bash, the bowl capacity actually seems less than that of the smaller pipe - same diameter, less depth. It's also considerably harder to draw than the smaller pipe. At first I thought I'd packed it too tight, but removing the tobacco gave no improvement. Remove the insert and it's a very easy draw, so I'm guessing the hole is too small. I'll open it up a bit and try again. If that works, then it's time to sand, stain and polish the gourd before making a final decision about a new liner.
    This is my slightly modified version. A bit like an ice-cream cone with a stem.

Pete

[​IMG]

3. Tanman

Tanman Member

Nice restoration job!

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Nice work...and nice save. I would hate to see you sand and restain the second one...that color is one of the prettier patinas I've seen on a gourd....looks like many years of puffing went into getting that fabulous color.
    But....it's your pipe....have fun.

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Nice recoveries.

To clean gourd guts, remove the bowl and stem, swish innards with highest proof booze for a minute or two and pour the mess out the stem-end to preserve the cork. When clean, let sit to dry out - how long depends on the proof of the booze.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Stem-end... whoa! Good advice! Never thought of that. +1 for the bovine.

7. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Unless using stuff I'd rather not have anywhere near something I'll be putting in my mouth, about the highest proof we get over here is 40%. Hardly into Everclear territory, so slightly longer soaking is required to soften the baked on tar. However, I'm fairly happy with the soak, wipe, scrape, wipe cleaning process. It takes a little longer, but gives results like this. Yes, it is a bit out of round, but I suppose that's due to the natural shape of the gourd.

[​IMG]

I think maybe I will leave this one as it is externally. Having given it a little bit of a wash and polish, I'm much happier with how it looks. Obviously there was a fair bit of handling grime on there. A little washing-up liquid and a nail brush work wonders.

[​IMG]

Pete

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Looks great, Pete! You may find a periodic swish will now do the trick since it's so well degunked and destunked. I hope you have two sublime puffers there.

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Sweet! See what I mean about the patina?

10. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I'm with the bear on this. That patina is awesome. Looks almost as if you can see the smoke moving down the inside of the gourd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.