1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

My new Ebay find

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Mike Sheeran, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Sheeran

Mike Sheeran Member

I'm real excited to clean and get this guy ready. It is a Peterson System Standard 306. Now the research begins on how to clean up a system pipe.

[​IMG]

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Nice score. Congrats.

3. Moose

Moose Active Member

Good looking pipe. Good luck on the restro. Make sure you keep us posted on your progress.

4. Mike Sheeran

Mike Sheeran Member

So far I have cleaned the stem with alcohol till no more tobacco staining showed, cleaned the well with q-tips till I could not get any more staining on it, ran several alcohol coated pipe cleaners through the airway to clean it out good, and am letting the bowl soak with kosher salt and alcohol. I can already see it pull some brown into the salt. Should be ready when I wake up in the morning to dump the salt and let it rest tomorrow. Saturday is the day to get the party started with it.

dBear likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Very nice score ! The fact that it's a sitter makes it even better :th1:

6. Mike Sheeran

Mike Sheeran Member

That was one of the bigger factors for me getting it. I really liked the idea of setting it down and not needing a rest for it. I'm just excited to have a decent briar. I'm still going to use all my cobs I've got but this will be a nice change of pace.

dBear and ruffinogold like this.
  7. ruffinogold

Damn straight it will be ! Cobs are great , but system pipes are killer too ! Just clean the well when youre done smoking it ... and don't put it in your pocket unless you cleaned the well out .

8. Mike Sheeran

Mike Sheeran Member

The hardest part in cleaning up in preparation has been cleaning out the well. I guess the guy didn't do that great a job and it took a while. It looked like he never ran a pipe cleaner through the draft hole either.

dBear and ruffinogold like this.
  9. Mr Bojangles

Mr Bojangles Member

Nice score! I love the grain on it.

10. ruffinogold

Theres a ton of guys out there like that .They just smoke them forever without giving them any care , pretty much . A briar pipe can take a lack of care but I really think a system needs the attention in order to get the best of the system set up . If they get stinky , then who could enjoy smoking it . A clean system pipe is a wonderful smoke !

11. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Nice pipe. Can't go wrong with Peterson in my book.

12. houncer

houncer Member

Congrats on the score! I have a 306 as well. It was my first System pipe and first with a p-lip. I found the bowl to be a little smallish but all in all it is a great pipe & good smoker. I dedicated it as (one of) my VAper pipes. Enjoy!

13. Archi77

Archi77 Member

Nice find!

14. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

A lovely Peterson for sure. Looks like it's in pretty good shape. After your cleaning it should be a good puffer! Enjoy!:th1:

15. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula All about having fun!

That's a real beaut!

16. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Very nice! I love my 305 but the sitter would be great. Enjoy!

17. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Nice sitter, love the shape! Looks like there's not much cleaning necessary... :thu2:

18. DogTalker

DogTalker Member

Love me some System Petes! That one is primo.

19. Mike Sheeran

Mike Sheeran Member

Thanks everybody. The worst part of the cleanup was getting the well done. The rest was fairly simple. This was the first time I have purchased an estate pipe and I learned a few lessons:

1. Use cotton balls instead of kosher salt for easier cleanup. It took forever to scrape out all the salt.
    2. I think next time I'm going to use Wild Turkey 101 instead of rubbing alcohol to sanitize/sweeten the pipe.
    3. Be a bit more careful with alcohol on my hands and handling the pipe. The finish didn't get hurt but I did notice that I had a bit of stain on my hand.

I figure that by tomorrow everything will have dried out and will go through the innagural smoke. This pipe is great and it is really impressive how nicely the P-lip system lends to clenching the pipe. I'm going to have a hard time going back to fishtails. Now if I can just a room to smoke my pipe inside, it would be the ultimate experience.

20. Mike Sheeran

Mike Sheeran Member

So I thought I would just post an update. I broke it out tonight and enjoyed some Squad Leader in it. It was an excellent experience. I'm going to have to find some more system pipes to enjoy. Today I ended up winning a Pre-Republic Shamrock X105 and tomorrow I'm going for a Pre-Republic bulldog. I'll have some more restoration fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.