1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My new, old Yello Bole

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Old Ted, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Last week I was seeking advice about a Yello Bole Canadian that I was watching on Ebay. No one seemed to want it - so I won at £5-99 + shipping!, I think I have a bargain. The vendor seemed knowledgeable, and said the pipe dated prior to 1955 - as it is stamped KBB in a three leaf clover, the makers - Kaufman Bros. & Bondy were apparently taken over by S.M.Frank & Co. Inc. in that year. Also stamped (very small) -Yello Bole 'Imperial', reg US pat off, 'cured with real honey'.
    Well - it's certainly a sweet little smoker!, but does seem a little wetter after smoking than my similar pipes, maybe something to do with the 'spade'- type stinger?....never had one before. It's nice and light and comfortable in the mouth, and looks like being a regular on the rack.
    Cheers, OT][​IMG]

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Beautiful pipe. Pull the stinger out and give that a try. Looks like a Kaywoodie logo to me.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Ooooooh, nice score OT! Ya done real good! Corn-gratz! :)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

P.S. as Jeff said, get that stinger outta there! That is unless ya like stingerz. ;)

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Well...I did try (with my fingers) when cleaning it - but it was too tight, should I use pliers?....don't want to damage it. are they cemented in?
    OT

5. user0003

Got a picture? Is it a push or screw stem? With a push stem it's pulls straight out. A screw-in stem usually means non-removable or use of the dreaded cut-off wheel.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Thanks fellas! - good thing you're here to teach old dogs new tricks LOL, I just eased that stinger out with a pair of pliers, and managed to get some more crap out of that short mouthpiece. I've loaded up some Best Brown and it's a different pipe! - no gurgle! it was good before, but now it's stellar, and should be drier. Makes me wonder why they fitted the things - in the first place! :dunno:
    OT

7. user0003

Beats me, but I've got a box of'em around here somewhere.

Glad to help.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I have one similar thanks to Bri2K on this forum - mine's the smooth finish but has the oval stem and is stamped "Premier." I came with the stinger in and with Brit tobacco smoked straight fom the pack it gurgled; gently removed the stinger with pliers and the problem went away never to return. It's a superb smoker.

Also have an ordinary Yello Bole Billiard which is a great pipe - personally I think Yello Bole is an under-rated brand. To me they are great,

Happy smoking

Gerry

9. nobler son

nobler son Member

Agreed. My Yello Bole has always performed well.

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's one fantastic Yello Bole, OT! I've got a few Yello Boles in my collection, and they all smoke very well and much better after I removed the stingers. I hope you enjoy that beauty for many years!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.