1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My new Poul Winslow Crown 300

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by AthensPipes, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AthensPipes

AthensPipes Member

So this beautiful little thing grabbed me by the nose when I saw it in the case. I usually prefer longer pipes but this one was just too gorgeous. The wide shank, a hard chine a little off center, perfect stem...I love it.

She's very VERY unforgiving...I know its my technique, I cant seem to get quite the right pack, or a good even light, and I probably puff too fast trying to keep it lit (and of course each plays into the other). This is true of my other pipe (my Neerup) but its much more forgiving. This pipe gives me a lot of tongue bite and gurgle. Looks like she's going to force me to be a better smoker.

Regardless, she's beautiful and feels lovely in the hand and the mouth. It was a bit of an impulse buy but I'm happy with it.

What do you think!

sorry the pic is crappy...only have my phone to take pics with right now!

[​IMG]

Mount Mandolin and Spillproof like this.
  2. boon

boon Member

Gorgeous pipe! I'm jealous! Happy smoking!!

3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Dude that's a sweet looking pipe!

4. krusty

krusty Active Member

It is a fine looking pipe and yes, I'd agree that it's telling you the same thing most here will tell you. Slow down, relight rather than puff it up, sip the smoke, relax with it etc.
    Again, nice looking pipe, one couldn't ask for a sweeter taskmaster!

5. Capt

Capt Active Member

Beautiful. One of my favorite shapes!

6. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Love the pipe

7. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Definitely a lovely pipe! I hope the two of you can come to a good, smokeable arrangement :D

8. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

Great looking pipe. I would suggest drying your tobacco more and do not pack too loose. It should feel like sipping through a straw when you test it before lighting. Also what types of tobacco are you smoking, it is possible you are getting a chemical reaction causing tongue burn, not bite. There are blends I cannot smoke because of my body chemistry, I will get an acid burn to the tongue the minute the smoke hit's it.

9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Nice pipe. Winslows have some awesome flame grains for sure. Enjoy it.

10. Lithua pipe

Lithua pipe Member

Thats a beauty, Happy puffin.

11. AthensPipes

AthensPipes Member

Finally got a good smoke out of her! I packed the bowl quite a bit harder than I normally do, I suspect I was not being quite manly enough about it before! I also turned the flame on my lighter as low as possible and lit the bowl more slowly but A LOT more...took quite a bit to get it lit all around the edges (and I still didnt quite get it all). I had to relight quite a bit but not too much to not enjoy it. No gurgle and MUCH less tongue bite. I went a lot slower and thanks to the better pack I was able to actually do that! So still a bit of trouble but a big improvement and when she was smoking well...oh man she was smoking well...

12. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

She's a beauty, nice curves and grain!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.