My newby cellar...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by beammeuptothesky, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Howdy all,

I joined this forum back in March when I decided to renew my interest in pipe smoking. And, since then, have really enjoyed these few months with PSF. Thanks guys! :)

When I first joined the forum, I had a few misconceptions about my own personal taste in tobacco and had not yet found what I was looking for in pipes. At that time, I was mostly on an Aromatics quest and had not discovered the variety that is to be had in pipe smoking. While I still do enjoy Aromatics very much, I have really branched out and found some great tobaccos that I would not have otherwise found if it had not been for the wonderful folks on this forum. ;)

I received my latest order from SP yesterday and was jarring up my bounty when it occurred to me that this pipe-smoking thing had really blossomed into one, sweet "thing" -- or whatever you want to call it! :byg: So, to commemorate this occasion/epiphany, I figured that I would share my story and give you guys a big thanks along with an updated list of what I have in my Newby Cellar. It's not much but I think it represents a good, basic variety of tobaccos to get me started. What do guys think??

Dunhill Flake
    Orlik Golden Sliced
    PS LNF
    PS LNF (aged 6 yrs.)
    MacBaren Club Blend
    MacBaren Virginia No. 1
    SG 1792

McClelland Tastemaster
    McClelland Deep Hollow
    C & D Green River Vanilla
    C & D Autumn Evening
    MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake

MacBaren Plum Cake
    Erinmore Flake

MacBaren Golden Extra

SG Squadron Leader

Thanks for looking!

~Aaron

BTW, my TAD list is four-times as long! I think there are reasons they call it a disorder! :eek:

Kiowapipe likes this.
  2. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Good stuff, I reckon I'm somewhere on the same page as you minus the aromatic thing. I found out about the best kept secret back in Feb and now have a handsome little collection of my own for aging.

It really is some good times being a pipe smoker and collector :)

beammeuptothesky likes this.
  3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Great cellar you've started. I can understand you TAD -List is 4x as long.... me too!!:) My wife thinks I am crazy-

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

That's a great looking list of startups Aaron. If you ever get to the point where you feel compelled to reproduce original tin art for your jar labels or put your TAD list on an Excel spreadsheet, you might want to seek counseling. That would be a bit extreme. :whis:

5. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

LOL...I wish I had the funds to cellar the tobacco I like.....maybe, sometime in the future.

6. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I want to label my jars. I have always been anal about things like that for some reason.

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Good taste in toby. At least half your list is on my list of favorites. I like MacB and Stokkebye bulk tobies, since they seem to bridge a gap between OTC's and tinned tobies. Don't get me wrong. I like OTC's but oft times I need a smoke with more umph. I loved tinned tobies from Dunhill and the likes, but I can't afford to smoke those on a regular basis. MacB and Stokkebye offer great smokes that fall in between. They are very good, and priced right for cellaring purposes.

You can keep the fanfare that goes with Pease and C&D "artisan" blends, as most of the time I just want a satisfying and relaxing bowl of toby. And in that respect, MacB and Stokkebye tobies really shine.

However, I don't get all anal on the labels. The cheap white labels from Walley World work just fine for me - as do the labels that come with the canning jars.

8. Beale

Beale Active Member

Congrats on a very nice cellar list! Well done, Beale.

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Um, yeah, wouldn't it?

Aaron, that's a good selection you've got going. The more you pay attention to the compositions of the blends that you have now, figuring out what tobaccos (VAs, burleys, cavendish, etc.) you like and dislike, the easier it will be to make future purchases.
    It's a fun trip, I'm glad you're along for it.

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Excellent start, Aaron! Next, you'll start working on
    multiple tins of your favourites. At least, that's what
    I did.

11. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Thanks everybody for the support and warm-wishes!!

Like I said, I have you all to thank for this chronic disease....in a good way. ;)

Brad, that WOULD be kind of extreme! With such supportive mentors(enablers) such as yourself, I might just find myself going down that road before too long. :byg: BTW, I have seen the pictures you posted of your cellar; Did the little man on your shoulder tell you to do that?? :rolleyes:

~Aaron

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

That little man shows up now and then, especially after a C&D blend with lots of nicotene. :bing:

13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

That's a fine load of leaf you got there! I'd be proud just lookin' at it! Even more proud owning it! Congratz! Way to go..... but don't stop now ;)

Ed
    Puff

14. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

That's a well-rounded cellar, Aaron! Hard to get bored with so many different things to choose from. Good job! :gjob:

Herb

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Nice !!! Just reading that list makes me want to light up !

16. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Thanks again guys! If I had the money, my cellar would be vast and, like Brad, I would have to move all the household furnishings out into the garage to make room for more tobacco! :confused:

~Aaron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.