My own showdown between Sobranie 759, Black House and Blue Mountain

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dmkerr, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

If anyone cares, I posted the reviews of all three at tr.com

What I was constantly reminded of during this is that I had access to all the 759 I could want in the '80's and '90's and I rarely smoked it. There was a reason. Sure wish I had hoarded more, though, as I could have made a lot of moolah! :D

For those who want the short version, Black House was by far the closest in taste to 759, but I preferred Blue Mountain over those two.

2. Prof

Prof Member

Funny, I just got in a shipment of the new Sobranie, black house and blue mountain yesterday! Jarred up a tin each, put the rest in cellar, and I am waiting to try them out...

3. dmkerr

That's cool. Just remember, though, that the new Sobranie is the "original" or white label and not the black label 759 version. They were two rather different blends. But I'll be interested to hear which one you like the best.

4. Prof

Prof Member

I have already had some Black House last week at the local pipe get together, and it was excellent. But I have been wanting to try Blue Mountain and when I got the notice that Sobranie was back in stock, I couldnt resist. I will tell you that I thought Balkans had more sour and less smoke smell to them, but that new Sobranie is very smoky indeed...I thought smoky equaled Latikia, and the sour smell was from oriental leaf, but I have given up trying to pigeon hole this stuff, seems I am more often wrong than right...

5. dmkerr

I haven't tried the new version of Sobranie white but the old version was definitely latakia-forward. Orientals close behind but definitely behind. So if the new stuff is the same recipe, I think your assessment makes a lot of sense.

6. beans316

beans316 Member

I cant compare the old sobranie " too young hehe " but the new stuff isant bad but does not knock my socks off either .

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Can you give us a quick recap here?

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

You know, Dan, I've felt the fool many times since the internet reviews have started. So many blends I passed over are now blends that are "classics", not to mention worth a damn sight more then the 3.99 price tag that was then on the tin........

9. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Ain't that the truth!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.