1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

my pipe gurgles allot

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

So this pipe gurgles everytime i smoke it that it be any blend that i try it will gurgle. This is the only pipe that gives me this problem. Is it really a problem ? maybe not but the sound is annoying.
    Would it be caused by the fact that this is a 9mm filter pipe and im not using any?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

Maybe try to obtain a 9mm adapter and see? it might help simply because a pipe cleaner will be able to be passed trough.

David Emond likes this.
  3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I second the addition of a filter plug. I had a briar filter pipe that gurgled. I took a drill bit and opened up the end of the stem a little. The walls on the end that fit into the shank were a little thick, causing the flat surface to accumulate moisture and gurgle. Drilling it solved the problem, and I've done it on a couple of other non-filter pipes with the same stem-gurgle and fixed them too.

If it's gurgling in the heel of the bowl, that's a whole other situation.

David Emond likes this.
  4. David Emond

Thanks guys, ill try and get a adapter. not sure from were its gurgling. Its a nice looking pipe but ive been neglecting it because of the gurgle.

5. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

It is a very nice looking pipe indeed!

David Emond likes this.
  6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

You can test where the gurgle is a coule of ways. Smoke a bowl, and when it start gurgling, stick a pipe cleaner just a little ways past the stem-shank joint. If it comes out dark and wet, and stops gurgling for a bit, it is most likely there. If not, try again, but put the cleaner into the bowl. If when you hit the heel, the pipe cleaner causes a hissing or comes out dark and wet, the moisture issue is in the heel.

The filter adapter won't help a gurgling heel.

David Emond likes this.
  7. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

Opening up the air hole to 5/32 and countersinking the end of the tenon may help, I have done this with my three pipes and it helps quite a bit.

David Emond, Sasquatch and user2725 like this.
  8. Felix

Felix Member

Do you smoke a pipe fast? I have found that slowing down helps the gurgle. For i too am a wet smoker...
    :sh:

David Emond likes this.
  9. David Emond

sometimes yes, But i mean in all my other pipes i do not have this problem, only in this pipe. I think ill stop by my local shop to get some 9mm filters to see if maybe if its going to help.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Very likely the end of the tenon needs some attention - can you tell if the airway coming up from the bowl hits the mortise in the middle or way up high?

11. David Emond

hmm looking down the shank the air way hole is not centered and is upward so way up high. ill post a picture in a few.

12. David Emond

man i had a hard time getting light into that hole in order to get a decent pictures. The air hole comes almost touching the shank wall at the top. There is hardly any space between the two.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

To "shed some light on the problem", use a mirror to reflect sunlight into the hole.

WyoBob

user2725 likes this.
  14. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

I second opening the airway. However, if it passes a pipe cleaner, I'd recommend sliding one of those puppies to the bottom of the bowl during smoking. I usually wind up doing that once a smoke anyway. Opening the airway may eliminate the problem altogether.

user2725 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.