1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My pipes photographed.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Smoker49, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smoker49

Smoker49 Member

My collection is small, so this won't take long. I hope you enjoy the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My first pipe purchase in 2010 was actually inspired by a thread on this forum!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fully restored 1907 Calabash with a new, unsmoked meerschaum bowl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two Petersons have been my only two briars until recently. I bought the restored gourd Calabash which will probably stay retired, the two Nordings and the Cavicchi Dublin within the past few weeks. I christened the Nording Calabash last night, and will probably christen the Cavicchi today. Thanks for looking.

WyoBob, jdto, Mount Mandolin and 13 others like this.
  2. irish2fish

irish2fish Active Member

Very nice collection! Beautiful photographs!

PipeWife likes this.
  3. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I'd smoke that gourd Calabash if I were you. No sense in it lying about. Like dunhillmanuk says, "That's what they're forrrr"

Beautiful pipes, by the way. Very nice indeed!

PipeWife and furious like this.
  4. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Great photos!

PipeWife likes this.
  5. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I am REALLY digging the Nordic Dublin.

6. Zrab11

Zrab11 Member

Wow.. I just got into pipe smoking and it's funny to look around the Site and see so many pipes that people love but I'm like.. Umm I don't like the look of that. Which I why of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. But Dang I love all your pipes, I can't pick one that is my favorite seriously great collection. My next pipe Wil prob be something from your collection!

7. Capt

Capt Active Member

Beautiful pics! I love the Nordings, I have a few myself.

8. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Very nice. The two Petersons will darken with age and the grain will appear to deepen. Enjoy.

9. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

They all are fantastic. Congrats.

10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Great pipes and photos! Fire up that gourd, there's nothing like e'm!

ruffinogold and PipeWife like this.
  11. furious

furious Junque collector

Beautiful selections. Smoke that gourd!!!

PipeWife likes this.
  12. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

Ahhh! You are the one who bought that gorgeous 1907 calabash. I drool with envy.
    :nwor:

Absolutely beautiful ...

13. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Nice pipes sir. Looks like you're starting to have a "type."

14. Smoker49

Smoker49 Member

Yeah, I am a sucker for the Calabash and Dublin shapes, silver fittings, great grain and birdseye.

As for smoking the 1907, I have yet to decide either way. I just finished reading Gary B. Schrier's History of the Calabash Pipe and in it he suggests giving good, clean gourd pipes of this age a retirement. While it would be a real thrill to break in a fresh meerschaum bowl on a pipe this old and steeped in history, it would also be a crime to degrade the pipe's condition. The gourd has a nice rosy red hue from a small amount of smoking, the stem is immaculate, and the silver work is by and large flaw free save a few scratches here and there. So I think I am going to search out a newer gourd that I can smoke without fear of damaging something that is 105 years old. I lean heavily away from being just a smoker of this pipe, and more towards being its guardian.

PipeWife likes this.
  15. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

Great pics of some even Greater pipes.
    photos of members pipes should have their own section as i bet there are some fantastic pipes in this forum.

i am the lucky owner of an old meerschaum pipe and it is being restored at the moment. when i get it back it WILL be smoked, not very often but i will smoke it, thats what they are for.
    I do appreciate that you want to keep the calabash as mint as possible but life is short and why have it relined if not to use it?

Someone in our BMW club had a 1980's M5 that only had delivery milage and had never been driven, this car was amazing totally unique a true timewarp car, buts its high value lie in the fact that it had never been on the road.
    To keep its value it could never go on the road and its owner was a "guardian" not an owner driver!
    I always thought this was sad that this beautiful car was a museum piece to be looked at and never used.

Any pipe no matter how expensive and collectable deserve to be smoked !

16. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Those are all awesome pipes and the photos are equally awesome!

17. Smoker49

Smoker49 Member

The previous owner made the decision to restore it. He was also conflicted as to whether or not to smoke it.

It's not about expensive or collectible. If this was a resale value thing, I can think of many other pipes I would have bought that could bring a greater return on investment. It's about preserving a piece of the past. Surely you don't walk into the Smithsonian, and ask to see them fire off all the revolutionary war rifles? So why should a pipe that has survived 105 years not be protected from continued tar deposits, staining and possible damage? Maybe I shouldn't expect anyone else to understand not wanting to smoke it, but I sure as heck don't immediately fall to the idea that a pipe has to be continually smoked until it's unable to smoke again, or it's no good to anyone.

18. BurghBriar

BurghBriar Member

Great pics, and that Calabash is a keeper.

19. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Those are all beautiful looking pipes, I like your style.

20. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Great pics & pipes.. thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.