1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

My pipes so far!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by StoneGiant, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

[​IMG]
    I dug for hours in the local Pacific Run Antique Mall to find this Bavarian Tyrolean Hunter Pipe from the 1900's (I think?), and I got it for a steal. Only problem is that it's dusty and FILTHY and I broke the (bone?) mouth stem (which has walked away from me now) before I did my research and learned how to restore it. Oh well, still looks awesome on the bookshelf with all the other manly things like antique knives and old books and what not. Note the elk carved in the bowl.

[​IMG]
    My girlfriend got me this for my 27th Birthday, it's a Paykoc imports meerschaum pipe from Turkey, and it's a beast. Some sort of dragon eagle thing with dog ears to be precise. I like it because usually you see a straight dragon or a straight eagle or whatever, but this one is an odd mishmash of creatures, which I've never seen before. She's got good taste in the smokables, she even got me a great blend to break it in with. It's a bit heavy so you have to cradle it, clenching this is an exercise for the jaw and probably not good for your teeth. It's coloring nicely, but slowly due to the thickness of the meer (I assume that's why?), the shank and the teeth are a nice tan, and the rim of the bowl is progressing to a rose color.

[​IMG]
    I got this one for breaks at work and the car since it's small, nothing super special but I like it a lot. It's already coloring up a lot faster that my larger more elaborate meer. I should post an update pic later on!

[​IMG]
    Sometimes the simple things in life are the best. This cheap as hell 6 dollar Missouri Meerschaum corn cob is the best pipe in my rotation besides me meerschaums, it smokes cool, it doesn't gurgle or get sour unless I seriously abuse it, and it's lightweight. Only downside is I look like an old hick with it, but I look like an old guy with nicer pipes too from what onlookers tell me so what the hell. Sometimes you can't beat a corn cob.

[​IMG]
    After all my old pipes walked or "disappeared" This is my nicest briar. It's an Italian Leonessa, and it smokes pretty sweet but it gets hot and wet sometimes because I'm still breaking it in, as well as still learning the fine art of taking it slowly. Long gone are my Butz Choquin and my Savinelli and my Stanwell, and all the pricey pipes I bought or inherited. I still want to get some Dunhill and some Savinelli and Stanwells, and maybe some Butz Choquins, and I'd LOVE to have an uber expensive S. Yanik Meerschaum, but now that I don't have piles of money to throw about like I did as an 18 year old this Leonessa is more than nice enough for me.

[​IMG]
    This is french I think, a bruyere garantie, which can be hot disagreeable and gurgly if I push it too far, but if I'm gentle it's not too bad. Not my favorite pipe, and the finish is doing something weird, like it bubbled if you can see that irregularity on the bottom of the bowl near the shank.

[​IMG]
    This is another bruyere garantie, and I got it because I wanted a small black pipe for breaks at work. I wear all black a lot and thought it would be cool to match. This thing is a bastard, it's always hot no matter how gentle I am, gurgles up a storm no matter what I put in it, it just sucks. I keep it as an emergency backup but I never choose it on purpose, if I get nicer pipes this is getting tossed.

[​IMG]
    This is a work in progress, a kaywoodie straight billiard from the 50s or 60s according to the antique shop I dug it out of, it was originally finished in a white lacquer so I foolishly thought it was a meerschaum! I scraped of all the white stain so I can one day re stain in, but it contains a metal condenser in the stem that creates a hellacious amount of steam and wetness, so it's languished in the bottom of the pipe box. I've cleaned it with liquor and legions of pipe cleaners multiple times, but whoever owned it before me smoked a disgusting soapy aromatic out of it and hence it smells and tastes like sweet soapy burning garbage, so I NEVER smoke this one. I fear whoever smoked this before was a fan of mixture 79. I may salvage this in the long run, but it's a back burner project for sure...

[​IMG]
    Here's my pipe box. Some crazy contraption from France I bought for 15 bucks from a value village, never was sure of it's original purpose. Holds a TON of tobacco and all my pipes and pipe cleaners and assorted paraphernalia, pretty good score for the cost even if I have NO idea what it was originally for.

[​IMG]
    Notice the awesome white bandanna interior, currently holding ALL my pipes, a pound or so of smoker's pride "natural" which is burly (gonna take awhile to burn through this stuff, it's got a weird stale wood flavor to it that I've never encountered in ANY other burly, and I usually LOVE burly), an once and a half of half and half (which I love somtimes, and other times hate, it's weird blend) a University Flake (holy crap this stuff is STRONG, I lately just use it to top off a bowl of something else that needs a kick, a whole bowl of this is NO JOKE), two pouches of Captain Black White, an ounce of Tinderbox Georgian Cream (eh it's OK, I don't think the fruity stuff is for me), an ounce of Tinderbox Hazelnut (which can bite like a zombie if you don't finesse it), an ounce of Tinderbox Northsea (I loved this stuff when I first got it, but the more I smoke it the more I don't care for it) , and ounce of Tinderbox Proper English (
    a bit smokey for my tastes, if I'm getting something with Lakatia I want just a pinch, this seems to have a ton of it)
    , Tacoma Pipe and Cigar black and gold pipe tobacco (meh it's OK, I don't like whatever the gold is supposed to be), unnamed vanilla Cavendish from a friend "of the earth" who claims it's "organic" even though the evil sizzle it makes when meeting flame makes me seriously doubt that (plus it has like NO nicotine, like smoking candy flavored steam) , A blend of ALL the aforementioned blends in it's own pouch along with the remains of some Captain Black Cherry, Royal, Carter Hall Price Albert and Tinderbox After Dinner (warning, this tastes really bizarre, and was probably a bad idea) and a pouch of Carter Hall, which seems to be super freaking rare in my location, when I actually find a pouch there's always one UND EXACTLY ONE left. Currently awaiting a 14 ounce can Sir Walter Raleigh and the same of Carter Hall and maybe Granger, I really have a liking of the OTC burly blends lately.

Just got my can of Prince Albert, someone should prank call me, I'm set!
    [​IMG]

David Emond likes this.
  2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Nice collection SG!

David Emond likes this.
  3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I like that sabre tooth looking dog meer..
    Nice stuff

David Emond likes this.
  4. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

Very Nice!!

David Emond likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Nice setup ya got there ! I dig yer pipe box .. Enjoy

David Emond likes this.
  6. Capt

Capt Active Member

Nice start!

David Emond likes this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Looks like an enjoyable rotation of pipes to me! :th1:

David Emond likes this.
  8. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

nice collection of pipes, love the pipe box

9. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Have you tried giving the Kaywoodie the alcohol & salt treatment to eradicate the ghosting?

10. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Man nice collection! I especially like the Duff Beer you got in there! :D

11. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Say, do you have Prince Albert in a can?

TxPipesmoker likes this.
  12. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

Ha waiting for someone to notice the can of duff!

Yeah the salt and alcohol treatment is probably the next step for the kaywoodie, but I'm not happy about the stinger since it is what holds the stem to the shank...

Yes I do actually have Prince Albert in a can, and yes I've let him out! Well at least the first tenth of him...

13. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Nice collection man! :puffy:

14. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

Looks like you've got a set of reliable smokers! I like that antique pipe as well.

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

A very nice collection you have! I especially like the two meers!:appl:
    What you could try is to drill a bigger smoke canal into the shank of the Bruyere garantie to stop it from getting too hot. Try a 3/16" bit.
    This should sort out the problem!:bing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.