1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My Second Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by mikey, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikey

mikey Member

I recently purchased this Dr. Grabow Grand Duke. It is 5 1/4" long, 1 3/8" Round and 1 5/8" Tall. Bowl measures nearly 11/16" inside and 1 7/16" deep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know you all have some awesome pipes on here, but I'm enjoying this one for a while. I'll work my way up :goodjob:

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Nothing wrong with that, my friend. That's a fine looking pipe! One of the best pieces of advice I got was that a lot of those "drugstore" pipes are excellent smokers. Maybe I've just been lucky, but my Kaywoodie and Yello Bole briars haven't failed me yet. Most would add Dr Grabows to that list as well.

3. mikey

mikey Member

Thank you sir. I'll keep that in mind. I enjoy this one very much. It's broken in, so now I'm just experimenting with different tobaccos. It's actually quite fun! :goodjob:

4. bvillepipeguy

bvillepipeguy Member

All i can say is just cuz a pipe is expensive doesn't make it better, i have a Peterson bulldog that just doesn't smoke right, maybe i haven't found the right tobacco for it yet, on the other hand i got a Dr.Grabow bent bulldog for $17.00 and have stopped looking for pipes cuz it smokes so good. its all in what you like and if your bent grand duke smokes like my strait grand duke(witch was my first pipe) you will enjoy it even more the more you smoke it. happy smokin. Bryon

5. mikey

mikey Member

Good to know. It was $17 :whistle: I really enjoy it, but I'm still going to be on the lookout for new ones, as I read a lot about people having rotations. But as for this one, it's my favorite so far.

6. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz Member

Very nice! Enjoy

Duke

7. angrytruckingguy

angrytruckingguy Member

I have that one too. It is a great pipe for the price. Do you use the filters?

8. mikey

mikey Member

I am still messing with it, so I do one smoke with, and one smoke without. I don't have a preference yet as it's not a big difference to me. I think that I will stick with the filters...do you use them with this pipe?

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Nice looking pipe and hope she goes fine for you.

There's lots of guys swear by this brand and never feel the need to go beyond them. I've never had one but plenty people say you get an awful lot of pipe for the money you put out and they smoke well. What more can you ask?

Happy smoking

Gerry

10. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

Love the pipe. I agree with everyone else in that you don't have to break the bank for a great pipe.(Unless you want to) I have a Peterson Kapet I paid $30 for that smokes like a dream and I have a $100 pipe that doesn't.

Enjoy it!

Z

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You done good ! Enjoy it .... keep messing about with it , it gets even better !

12. raisingale

raisingale Member

I just got a Grabow myself. Love it as much as any of my other pipes, even more than some of them! I'm attempting to self-rusticate it now. I'll probably ruin it but at least the replacement cost won't be too prohibitive!

13. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

That's funny, I've got a Kapet that smokes like a dream as well and another that smokes like crap. Just shows the variation within a brand.

14. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Did you buy this new for 17 bucks? Damn things go for around 30 in the wonderfull land of New Yuck!

I have a bent Savoy I've never had a problem with. I can't remember who but one of the guys here had one the metal pulled out of the stem. I believe he sent it to the factory and they made it right.

Wasn't too many other pipes around 30 years ago other then Grabows or cobs around here. :xd:

15. raisingale

raisingale Member

You can get great deals directly from the manufacturer here: http://drgrabow.net/drgrabowpipes.aspx
    E-mail them for a price list and order away. I don't think they ever charge shipping either. Currently a Grand Duke runs $20.80

16. mikey

mikey Member

Yup! I got it off of ebay, the guy bought it, never used it, and sold it a little cheaper than what he bought it for :thumb:

17. Stoked

Stoked Member

I've never had any luck with Ebay. So your not only smart and have good taste (love the color and pipe style) but you're lucky too! :thumb:

18. mikey

mikey Member

Thank you! I really enjoy the look of it as well, and I do admit that I was very lucky to get it!

19. Twan013

Twan013 Member

my only complaint with my grabow savoy, is that the mouthpiece is a little crooked (hard to notice and doesn't affect smoking), and its tricky to find the hole in the stem when trying to clean it. I have to bend the tip of the pipe cleaner slightly..

I hate the filters though..

20. angrytruckingguy

angrytruckingguy Member

If you pack just right(kinda loose) and the tobacco is not too moist without the filter you can get a nice easy pulling, slo, kool smoke. I have most of the styles of Grabows that are currently available, looking for the "big pipe", but just a suggestion if you like the bent Savoy you might really like the Omega. I like 'em all, but the Omega is probably the most well made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.