My shopping list

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by pottsy, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pottsy

pottsy Member

So, I am new to pipe smoking, and really enjoying it so far. I am putting together a shopping list. Opinions?

Sam Gawith - Navy Flake
    Sam Gawith - Balkan Flake
    GL Pease - Chelsea Morning
    GL Pease - Westminster
    MacBaren - Plum Cake
    MacBaren - Burley London Blend
    Balkan Saseini

Any I should avoid?

2. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

I'm new to pipe smoking, myself, but I do really enjoy Lane 1-Q. I think it'd be worth ordering some.

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Its a bit Lat heavy, if that's what you're goin for more power to you, but if you want some more variety throw in a VA or two. Can't go wrong with GLP Union Square and McClelland 5100.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Get what you can. Give it a try and if you have any doubts, give tobaccoreview.com a cruise and see it it's up your alley of taste preferences. Try 'em all (that interests you) and go for bulk when it's available (save you money in the long run and you'll have a bunch to smoke for a while). Jar some up for now and some up for later. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you pop open the older one (as you get to it)....you'll run out and get more! Trust me on that :crazysmile:

:roflmao:
    Ed Puff!

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Not familiar w/ all those blends but seems your shy on aromatics... might wanna try some

6. pottsy

pottsy Member

Well, not shy on trying anything. Just still new to the whole thing, so not sure what to try. Suggestions to augment my list?

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

You'll need some Danish weed. :whistle: Might I suggest
    Orlik Golden Slices
    Anything from W.O. Larsen

dp

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

+1....what dp said.

9. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Not sure where you're planning on ordering from but I don't think any e-tailer has any Sam Gawith products in stock. Many of us helped clean them out about 2-3 weeks ago :whistle:

As for your list, Westminster may be a bit intense if you havent' smoked a lot of lat heavy blends. You may want to consider any of the McClelland Frog Morton line. I agree that Orlik Golden Slices is a great Va/Burley, 5100 from McClelland is a must try all Va blend, you may also want to consider McB Navy Flake too.

Rugs

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I really like the list, but I think I would switch out Plumcake in favor of something better. Really, the Gawith Navy Flake is Plumcake done right, so why go back to a sharp bitey little bitch of a tobacco when there's so many other things to enjoy. I agree with Rugs - I think putting Mac Baren Navy Flake on that list is a good idea. It's a far more enjoyable tobacco than Plumcake, I find, a great introduction to flakes, and a nice soft subtly aromatic blend.

Most of the tobaccos you've listed are "serious" big league sort of tobaccos, and depending on your palate you may or may not really "get" them. I'd suggest maybe something like Frog Morton as a nice sweet easy introduction to latakia, and maybe a blend like Benjamin Hartwell Signature or Chesdin as another in that kind of line.

That would give you a really wide spectrum to work with.

11. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Don't forget Virginia/Perique blends!!

Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flakes or Davidoff Flake Medallion$
    Escudo
    G.L. Pease's Fillmore (has a touch of Latakia but it's not noticeable)
    Hearth & Home's A.J.'s Vaper

12. pottsy

pottsy Member

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I am making a list, and planning a run to JR's later today to pick up a few. Whatever I don't find there, I will try ordering online.

13. pottsy

pottsy Member

So, JR's didn't have as much as I would have liked to find. So I picked up,

Balkan Saseini
    McClellands navy Cavendish
    MacBaren Navy Flake
    and
    MacBaren London Burley

Figure I'll do some more shopping online and see what I can add to the collection. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, look forward to trying them out.

14. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I found a tin of Black XX, 2 tins of Commonwealth Mixture, and 1 tin of Fire Dance from an e-tailer yesterday...Got em all. ;)

15. pottsy

pottsy Member

Well, I found an e-tailer than has a few of the Sam Gawith Products, so I ordered from them and have the following coming in addition to what I bought earlier. Trying to get a good variety of makers and blends.

Sam Gawith - Navy Flake
    Sam Gawith - Kendell Cream Mixture
    Sam Gawith - Fire Dance Flake
    GL Pease - Chelsea Morning
    GL Pease - Union Square
    McClelland - Jubilee
    McClelland - Frog Morton on the Town
    Orlik - Golden Sliced
    Davidoff - Flake Medallions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.