1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

My take on Orientals = meh. What is yours?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mington, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

This. I still don't know whether "Turkish" is considered an Oriental or not, but I absolutely love what it does for those HoC blends. First Pipe is a masterpiece if smoked in the right pipe.

2. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

HoC?

3. Mount Mandolin

http://www.houseofcalabash.com

Definitely the most expensive pipe tobacco I've ever bought, but it's a really unique approach to pipe tobacco blending, and I think Mr. Books deserves his title of "master". A lot of his component tobaccos are considerably older than I am.

4. conroygc

conroygc Member

I'm intrigued, I haven't heard of HoC before. Which of the blends have you tried? Great website too.

Plus, just look at this guy, that beard speaks for its self:
    [​IMG]

David Emond likes this.
  5. Mount Mandolin

I have had Nothing Quite Like That First Pipe of the Day, Irishman's 5 O'Clock, and For Meerschaums Only Reserve. The latter one is one of the highest priced, but it is in a league of its own. Never had anything like it. First Pipe is also fantastic, and also very unique. Both of them are really pricey, but worth having around to treat yourself with. Irishman's is a good Balkan, but not my favorite that I've ever had. Definitely give that stuff a try if you get a chance, particularly the two I mentioned as exceptional. I doubt you would regret it.

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

HoC's to the TAD list!

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  7. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Good old American mutton chops lol

Mington likes this.
  8. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Yeah these tobacco prices are on par with our Canadian prices for regular tobacco.
    Those ancient tobaccos sound sweet and same for lord craven

9. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

My take on Orientals (and I consider Turkish as an Oriental) is that they are condimentals, just like Latakia and Perique. As such, I think they do wonders when applied with moderation to a Virginia or Burley blend. Of all the condimentals, I prefer them over the others but I also think that Orientals need the others. Take PS EOS. I love the stuff. I think it's an Oriental dominant "English" blend, but it really needs the Latakia to make it work for me... and the whole thing would fall apart if it wasn't for the VaBur base.

Mington likes this.
  10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It is. Some blenders call it "Turkish" and some "Oriental". They are used interchangeably. I am honestly not aware of too many tobaccos from the area I would consider the Orient, but I'm quite sure that if they exist, they aren't used as condiments in latakia blends.

11. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I enjoy McLel's Samsung. Surprisingly, I get a nutty flavor, which I love.

I tried an "O" by itself and wasn't crazy about it, so ya, for most of us it should be used as a spice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.