My Thoughts On The Sampler Marinedad Sent Me.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JD1969, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD1969

JD1969 Member

With allergy season in full swing it has been tough for me to sample much but here is what I have smoked so far.

Club Blend, Mac Baron, This I really enjoyed, it has some nice flavors, a little sweetness but an easy smoke. I did not get any bite.

St. James Woods, I need to smoke a few more bowls before I can give it a fair shake. I like it, and there is something there I can't put my finger on. It did smoke a little wet, so I need to let it dry a bit for the next bowl.

Premium Burley, I have been smoking this a lot, it has a almost a chocolate scent in the bag and it is what I would call mellow and smooth.
    A huge thanks to marinedad for all the samples, it's going to take me all summer to get a handle on this stuff. I am finding out that I am not huge fan of Va's but I think the Vaper's will be more my thing. Again a huge thanks to marinedad.

2. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

There is a huge range of virginias out there. Don't give up on them yet. Chances are you'll like them more as you go too. When I first started I couldn't taste the subtle nuances of virginias. After just a few months I love them and seems like I can pick up on more and more all the time.

Course, I love vapers too.

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

It takes time to develop a palate for the subtle nuances of a natural Virginia but well worth the effort. A dedicated pipe(s) for plain Virginias will help tremendously.

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

One thing I really like about this place is how there's room for different tastes along with the opportunity to broaden the palate. Reading your thoughts about VAs reminds me of my recent experience with latakia, JD. I picked up a tin of Presbyterian and thought it was terrible. I tried a few others like SL and KK and I started to see how others could appreciate it. Then I let a tin of Spilman Mixture sit open for a week or so and smoked some. Now I can not only understand the taste for latakia, I'm beginning to enjoy it myself!

Bri2k

P.S. Marc is spot-on about having a pipe dedicated to VAs. Using dedicated pipes has really helped me appreciate VAs even more.

5. SBritton

SBritton Member

Yes mixing oriental and aros in can really mess the pipe up so to speak.

6. JD1969

JD1969 Member

Been using a new MM cob for the Va's. I know it may take some time, and I have not given up on them yet. I do really like the Frog Morton I tried on the suggestion of a member.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.