1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

My Very Favorite Pipe (That I Own)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Mount Mandolin, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Well, this is my very favorite pipe. It was the first nice briar pipe I bought (nice being anything that is not a "basket pipe"), and holy crap did it turn my world upside down! I went from enjoying pipe smoking as an occasional hobby to being completely, utterly obsessed with it. What's funny is... I only bought this pipe the day after Christmas - Jan. 26, 2011 - but it feels like it was many many years ago. For about a year and a half I smoked basket pipes filled mostly with crappy aromatics, because that is what the guy at the B&M recommended. I don't know why, but they tend to recommend this one particular aromatic mixture to a lot of people, and it is good as far as aromatics go, but they have much better stuff in there, so I don't know why they don't recommend that stuff. Anyhow, I started buying up all sorts of tobacco, from MacBaren to McClelland to Dunhill and beyond, and it's been quite the love affair. I still can't believe it's only been a couple of months. Actually a little less than that! Anyway, on with the show, my very favorite pipe!

It is a Neerup, by Peder Jeppesen, and the nomenclature says "Neerup [over] Denmark [over] Selection [over] 3". The grain is drop dead gorgeous, and along with the wonderful, hand filling heft of the shape, is the reason I bought the pipe. It was only $87 plus tax, an absolute, screaming bargain considering the very high quality of the pipe. I don't know enough about briar to know much about its quality, but I do know that if appearances mean anything, this stuff is primo! Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Flash glare strikes again, but you can see the birdseye).

So yeah. This thing has a draw like a well made woodstove, has a nice, diamond-ish shank with alternating straight grain and birdseye, jutting transition that is very Danish, and overall is a fantastic composition. I absolutely love it, and it fits in my hand PERFECTLY. That is one thing about buying pipes over the internet: you don't get to hold the thing before you buy it, which is certainly problematic. I bought this one at The Briary in Homewood, Alabama (part of the Birmingham metro area), which is a phenomenal B&M in my beloved hometown, run by two really great guys. The crowd that hangs out in the smoking room is great, too, and I am going to Birmingham tomorrow and look forward very much to going to the Briary for some smoking and camaraderie.

I know that there are better pipes out there, and ones that are made entirely by hand to boot (which I don't think Neerup's are, at least not in this price range), but I just love this thing. It has a very nice cake in it now, and it smokes like a dream every time. Without fail, I smoke my morning bowl of either AM Pipe (McClelland) or Dunhill EMP in it, because it starts my day off right every time. There's something to be said for a pipe that makes you feel comfortable and at home, and this pipe does that for me, even when I'm not actually at home. So there she is: my very favorite pipe! :puffy:

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

It is a great looking pipe. You may spend thousands of dollars more on pipes and never find one to replace this one. Smoke it with pleasure and know that you have a great pipe. I have not bought anything but meers, cobs and make your own briars blocks and stems for quite a while, so I am not up to speed on the relative merits of one brand of briar pipe over another. What is important is that it suits you. You my friend, are a lucky man.

shadow and Mount Mandolin like this.
  3. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

That's a great pipe, very nice!

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  4. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

5. ChrisAtRGI

ChrisAtRGI Member

Very nice grain, excellent eye appeal, and smokes great. Can't ask for more than that!

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Great looking pipe!

7. Xecutech

Xecutech Member

The Neerups are outstanding. I bought two over the past two weeks and you won't find a better pipe for the money.
    You can see both of them in this thread.

8. ol gto

ol gto Member

She is a beauty, satisfies you = priceless.... enjoy!

dgerwin11 likes this.
  9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Neerup has a very good reputation for well constructed, beautiful pipes in this price range. It may be a while before I buy another new briar, but they are definitely on my radar. By the way, that's a really good price from a B&M. If my local shop carried those, I'm sure they'd have them marked up to at least $110.00.

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

That's a great buy! A very nice pipe!
    May it give you lots and lots of hours of pleasure!:bing:

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

12. Capt

Capt Active Member

I LOVE Neerup pipes, and have a few myself.

13. Mount Mandolin

Yes, The Briary is a fantastic B&M. Great people, great prices, everything. I don't usually drop names, but anyone who's going through Birmingham should most definitely make it a point to go by there. And I was amazed at the quality. I didn't know much about briars at the time, and the owner of the shop is big on Danish pipes it seems, but especially the Neerup's. In fact, I went back again, intending to purchase another pipe, and they even suggested I consider another Neerup, because they're that nice, and because that particular shop stocks very nice Neerup's. But yeah, great, great price.

14. Mount Mandolin

I believe you left the link out. I'd love to see them.

15. Xecutech

Xecutech Member

16. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

That's a gorgeous piece of wood. Glad you've found such a fantastic pipe to enjoy! :byg:

17. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

THAT is nice! Very rich looking! Whew!

18. Mount Mandolin

Thanks everyone! I love the thing. Some people are far too fixated on brand name, but that certainly does NOT seem to be the case with this group, which is fantastic. Me, I don't care who made it (to a point) as long as it's beautiful. Then again, I am lusting after a Dunhill, and it's mostly because of the name, so I guess I can see both sides of the spectrum. Brand name does mean something, but it's not everything. That seems obvious, but it's tough to strike a nice balance between the two. I do think Dunhill has high quality control standards though, which I guess is part of the mystique of the name.

19. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

Very nice looking pipe, I hope you continue to enjoy it for many years to come.

20. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I thought you were a cob guy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.