1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

My wife showed me this beast yesterday.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by orto, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orto

orto Member

She sent me a link to this beast on Etsy yesterday, and seemed genuinely excited about it. I don't know what to make of it, but it looks like a pretty cruel mistress.

[​IMG]

I was going to post the listing, but I wasn't sure of the etiquette as far as posting links to various sites on this thread. Mind you, I'm not the seller, but if anyone's interested in looking at the rest of the listing, you can search "Bizarre German stag pipe" on Etsy and it oughta come up.

And ya know, I always tell new smokers not to feel self-conscious about smoking their pipes in public, but after looking at this thing, I'm not sure I could do it.

2. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

That one just doesn't do anything for me. At all.:rolleyes:

orto likes this.
  3. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

OK, guys, raise your hands if you misread the word "beast" in the thread title.

BTW, nice pipe.

4. orto

orto Member

!!!!

5. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

It looks to me like the antler section is an after-market piece. Makes an otherwise interesting pipe look hideous.

mtsgsd likes this.
  6. orto

orto Member

Agreed. I'm not a fan of it myself. It looks like it weighs 2,600 lbs. and hell, I often can't enjoy a beer and a pipe on a quiet afternoon in public without fielding a thousand questions about what I'm smoking. I can only imagine the attention this... weapon... would generate.

7. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

8. Johnny Dingo

I don't know, you could fix that up nicely if one were so inclined. Even that buck-ugly piece of antler sticking out of it could be ground down and purdy-fied.

9. Lithua pipe

Lithua pipe Active Member

I had one of those on my 66 chevy 283

Capt and orto like this.
  10. orto

orto Member

I thought about that but realistically, there are too many other pipes I'd want to buy with the money that wouldn't require the effort, and if I screwed it up, I'm just asking to be haunted by a Viking spirit. No good, no good.

Professor and Johnny Dingo like this.
  11. Capt

Capt Active Member

That thing looks as busy as a one-legged man in an azz Kickin contest. Hid-E-ous

12. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Or the ghost of Mixture 79!

orto and Johnny Dingo like this.
  13. Johnny Dingo

Yeah, if it was $20 shipped, I'd take it to the shop. For what they're asking I can only chuckle and shake my head.

orto likes this.
  14. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I have one VERY similar to this, it's a bruyere garantie. It is German, the pipe comes apart to four pieces-most of which are threaded in the wood. There is a spring & rubber portion that the antler has replaced, on the other examples I found they were damaged and a big air leak. The mouth piece may be extremely fragile, mine looks to be made of bake-lite. An example in bad condition is more than what most folks would pay, and I can't tell enough about that one to say much about it... but I bet it'd still smoke since it has the antler.

orto likes this.
  15. orto

orto Member

Thanks Raff! How's yours smoke?

16. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Sadly, I haven't smoked it yet. I just bought it this afternoon, and need to do a lot of work to it. The bake-lite stem has holes through it, and the spring&rubber below the bake-lite needs a miracle to reseal it. I came across it in a flea market, and had to go back because it was such and oddball... and unique or oddball pipes are my favorite! Look for my non-kirsten Radiator (briar) at this post:
    http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/to-restore-or-not.18761/

And here's my bruyere garantie post (pictures coming in the next ten minutes):
    http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/just-purchased-a-bruyere-garantie-oddball-pipe.18777/

I've also got a Lenox in Lucite and an American made falcon. Those are the neatest pipes I have, the rest are fairly typical unless it's a beater I made to hold up to the abuse farming puts on everything.

Since there is a condensation gathering chamber below the actual bowl, which is a slotted metal screen at the bottom of the metal insert of the bowl... and a long section of air passage after that... I imagine it would smoke cool. The flip top lid is just plain awesome though!

17. orto

orto Member

Wild stuff Raff. Looking at the photos of the one I posted, I was wondering how much of the pipe was actually serving a purpose, and how much was just ornamental. Sounds pretty interesting indeed!

18. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I like looking at those antler/german/swedish/windcap/brass/strings/sitter/type pipes but that's about it.
    Etsy huh, great, another Ebay type obsession..

orto likes this.
  19. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Update: managed to bandage the leaks on mine and see how it smoked... expected the worst, but it's one of my better pipes now. I can't wait to have it back to original condition! PS the bowl is very deep, and packing it is a different method. I can definitely say I recommend this brand.

orto likes this.
  20. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

Frankenpipe:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.