1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Mystery blends?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

When at home - I keep filling pipes from jars or tins, and there is always a little bit too much left over on the work surface, after rubbing-out and filling. I just brush it over the edge into a pouch, and save it up for when I go 'walkabout'. Today (as usual on a Saturday) I've been wandering around Leeds shops and street markets - fifty miles from home, and dipping into that pouch a heck of a lot.....wow! sweetest smoking I've done for a long time!. Bits in that pouch from Best Brown, FVF, Condor, Night Train, various plugs and a good helping of Carter Hall LOL - no doubt a few other things too. If I could replicate todays mixture in the same amounts - I'd be one happy ole fart!:byg:.....do you make 'mystery blends'?
    OT

Kiowapipe likes this.
  2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I usually dump my leavings back in the tin or jar they came out of.

I did smoke some Blackwoods Flake last year, and didn't care for it. I ended up ordering some light Virginia and some Burley blending tobaccos and mixed them with the BWF. I like it pretty good, but wouldn't say I love it. It has a touch of Perique too, and I think I should have left that part out. I'm not that into spicy tobacco.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

I have a little 2 oz. plastic canister set aside for this. I throw in all the leftover bits of tobaccos I've sampled (especially ones I didn't care for straight) along with a few pinches of my standard ones. I pull from it once in a while and generally the results are pretty good. In a fit of whimsy, I've labeled the canister "MacArthur Park", because "I'll never have that recipe again." :D

Old Ted likes this.
  4. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I have 3 big mason jars. One, I call an "Aromatic Mix", one an "Aro. Melting Pot", and the third, my "Box of Burley's". My Aro Mix has a mix of 5. My Aro Melting Pot, 7 and my Burleys, about 5.

And yeah ... all 3 never to be duplicated.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

You know you're serious about this business when you keep all the "crumbs".

OBD.

6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I've got a "left over" jar that I use to toss blends that are too harsh, too bland, etc. The result is that all the bad attributes of any one blend seem to be counter-acted by all the other blends. The bad news is that I can never replicate results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.