1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Name of rustication

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ruffinogold, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's interesting to me that there's been certain rustication styles around for quite a while and they don't have names that I'm aware of . This pipe for example ... http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/...n/BqUtWwBGkKGrHqUH-D0EuZJczEW3BLvPoS4-3_3.jpg .... It's a La Scala I picked up some months ago and the rustication style I've seen a hundred times . If it's used commonly I'd figure it would have a name . There's others as well ... you know the one that looks like the maker scratched lines up and down on the pipe which is most of the time stained black .. and so on . Anyway , just wondering if there are names to common rustication that I just never picked up on .

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Ruff, there'z many different styles of rustication

Galleon (wiley)
    Berwyck Wire Carve (Grabow) straight lines as you mentioned above.
    Coral (Tinsky)

to name a few. Then there'z the Blasts, as in Craggy, Ring, partial blasts where parts of the outer is blasted, and some areas left smooth, etc.

The limitz are up to the carver's imagination and we all know there'z a bunch of carvers out there, and yes, they are "out there"!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

There are no standards that I know of. Two guys could tool a pipe identically and call it two different names, and worse, the same maker can change a rustication style and call it the same old name, like Peterson did with their various rusticated lines, like Donegal Rocky for example.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

PS I believe the pipe in question to be of the "trollwart" variety. :flowers:

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Cool ! Thats what I'm talking about ... some kind of standard . I was thinking a vario might be a common named rustication that multiple makers have used ... what do ya think

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I've often wondered about this too. Obviously in pipe factories there must be trade names for the different styles of rustication even if they are only used within the factory.

The black pipe style with the scratched lines effect is often called "Verline" ( said "ferleen" ) this side of the pond, but other than Dunhill's Shell finish and Peterson's Rocky I don't know any other names,

Best meantime

Gerry

7. noflex

noflex Member

Hi All.

This spring/summer Stanwell, Orlik and Poul Winslow, has made some pipes, where they use a style they call silk, a very differnce style then the donegal rocky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.