1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Native American tobacco blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by PipeAstronomer, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PipeAstronomer

PipeAstronomer Member

May 26, 2013
    On another thread. ( tobacco that smells like pine) someone mentioned Native Anerican tobacco blends and some that are strictly herbal smoking blends.

This intrigued me as a budding pipe smoker. So my question to you all is have you tried some if these blends and what did you think of them?

I believe one if the blends was called "Kinnikinnick".. It seems that their tobacco may be mixed with some herbs. And you can get non tobacco smoking blends as well.

Anyone tried these?
  2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Interesting. I live right next to an Apache Indian Reservation where I used to go when I needed to buy cigarettes. Their tribal store sold cigarettes that were tax exempt so I could get them at a good price. I wonder if they carry pipe tobacco? I'm gonna have to check that out.
  3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
    I think Deer Tongue was first used by Native Americans...
  4. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I've tried a couple such things, I don't remember what they were called but I would compare it to gathering some weeds from the ally and smoking them.

I think if I'm going to attach any Native American spirituality to my pipe smoking I'll smoke what they smoked....tobacco.
  5. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Kinnickinnick is/was a mix of tobacco and some other leaf used as a way of stretching the tobacco supply, one example of the other leaf used was the dried leaves of the Buckhorn Sumac, I have never tried it but the guy in my avatar Horace Kephart smoked it (his neighbours were Cherokee) he says that its really harsh as it contains tanin and quite quickly cause a cough, other plants used were the red osier dogwood or the related silky Cornell the dried inner bark was used and is said to be quite aromatic and pungent, more highly prized was the leaves of the bear berry called Sacaoommis by Canadian traders who sold it to Northern tribes for more than the price of tobacco.
  6. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Jul 18, 2012
    On vacation out in Colorado some time in the 70s I found "herbal Indian blends" for sale in several of the tourist shops we visited. I got a pouch of Old Chipewyan, as I recall. I know. It's not a Western tribe, but that was the name. It was -- um -- interesting. To be honest, I have no idea what was in it -- the color was kind of a tan, it was very dry. It smoked cool, guess you could call the favor "unique" and it certainly didn't leave any goo in the bowl. It did have a distinct aroma -- which caused a stir later.

I recall taking it back to Chicago and sharing it with my office mate, who was also a pipe smoker. When the publisher came around we had to do some quick 'splainin' because he knew it wasn't tobacco we were smoking and thought it might be another kind of herb. In hindsight, I wish I could have afforded to buy and try some of the other blends -- think there were about four all named for different tribes. It was kind of an interesting smoke, but we were glad to get back to our regular blends after a little experimenting.
  7. esteban

esteban Active Member

Feb 23, 2012
    My kinnick Kinnick mix ingredients....Bearberry, Mullein, red willow bark, Osha root, & Yerba Santa, burns fast but isnt at all unpleasant... my naturapath cautions too much Bearberry can affect liver adversely ......:beyes: ( when burned this does smell a bit strange) Can be ordered from Herbal Spirit Institute in Santa Barbara, CA....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.