1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Natural flavour

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Nico, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nico

Nico Member

Lately I thought it was time for some new experiences and I bought a tin of Mac Baren navy flake. It let me realize how big my love for english blends is with which I began pipe smoking, but it also let me wonder about these natural pipe tobaccos like for example Irish Oak from Peterson, for even though the navy flake tastes a bit like honey I don't think there is much "unnatural" flavour in it but a certain amount of untouched tobacco taste.
    To my question: Do any of you guys can recommend a good natural pipe tobacco to begin a whole new experiences and to explore a new direction of pipe tobaccos with?

2. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

I can highly recommend SG Brown Flake and GH&Co. Best Brown #2.
    C&D has several natural Burley and Virginia blends.

3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

C&D's Christmas Cheer is an unique VA experience, natural, and from a single area and vintage (usually somewhere near my backyard). I compare it to a single barrel bourbon in uniqueness. It's very tasty to boot!

Summit likes this.
  4. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

Yes, this.
    McClelland CC, along with several other pure Va. flakes in their line offer a pipeman many natural tobacco flavours from Stoved Va. to rich Red Va.
    Can't believe I forgot to mention McC. :shead:

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Dan tobacco's "Mellow Mallard" is great, the series of "Former" tobaccos is great (Cross Grain Flake, Straight Grain Flake, and Bird's Eye Flake), Scottish Cake from McConnell is incredible, McClelland, as mentioned has a number of great Virginias, as do Freybourg and Treyer.

All said, grab a tin of Scottish Cake and go from there.

6. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Active Member

I second this entire statement. You couldn't go wrong with any of these.

7. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

I was looking for the same thing. Straight VA turned out to be it for me. My favorite is MacBaren VA No.1

8. Nico

Nico Member

Well, thanks for your recommendations
    I really doubt that McClelland is available here but McConnell is. I guess I'll buy a tin of Scottish Cake for starters and maybe another flake cut, Richmond Navy Cut seems to be a good choice for me.

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Scottish Cake cannot be a mistake. I know people who have over 100 tins in their closet.

10. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Looks like you need to try a burley, a dark fired burley, and a vaper or two.

I would recommend Solani Aged Burley Flake, MacBaren Old Dark Fired and then for vapers maybe Escudo or GLP Telegraph Hill. You probably ought to try some straight virginias too. McClelland makes lots of good ones. Or you can try some SG FVF or Dunhill Flake.

Then from there you can see what you like and what you don't and start exploring.

dmkerr and WalkinStick like this.
  11. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

You want pure "natural" -- try C&D Dark Burley. You want natural with a little spice and variety, try any of the C&D Burley-based blends (Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, Pegasus, Night Train). For natural VaPer, try C&D Bayou Morning or Poplar Camp.

12. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Been on a straight Virginia kick this weekend........Mac Baren Virginia #1 and McClelland #5100 Red Cake.Can't decide which I like better,the MB offering seems a little more rounded but the Red Cake is more complex and satisfies my sweet tooth.

Ron

13. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Ennerdale :whis:

Brian Stephen likes this.
  15. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

You're pure evil.

Lukasaurus likes this.
  16. AdamInWA

AdamInWA Member

Tambolaka. Can't get any more natural than solid dirt with a heavy dose of vitamin n. :xd:

17. LostDog13

LostDog13 Active Member

Escudo or OGS; my haypenny suggestion anyway. Escudo will give you the sweetness of Va tamed with a bit of spiciness from the perique. OGS is sweet, but really hit or miss on the perique. I've had flakes of OGS where the perique was very obvious, and others which seemed to have none. Both will give you a wonderful smoke though. I'm currently on a big Escudo bender.re

There's always the option of picking up blending tobaccos as well. This way you can control the blend for your own taste. Recently got in some Va flake to experiment with; blending that with some latakia (50/50) and perique 90/10. The VaPer mix is really good, but the perique is still a bit strong for me.

18. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

GL Pease's Union Square is the most natural straight VA that I have tried.

19. Nico

Nico Member

Well, I bought three new tobaccos. Old Ironsides, Patriot Flake and Scottish Cake. Haven't opened Scottish Cake so far but the other two are very good. I'm a bit surprised how different natural tobaccos can taste.
    It's going to be a long journey. I only hope it won't get too expensive and that I don't discover more tobaccos I always want to have at home. Next month when I can order more I'll try some af your recommendations that are available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.